Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion finally counts with a North American community manager.

EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Ncsoft Austin has hired Charles Dane, those of us who played EvE or Ultima Online might remember him as kieron, community manager in EvE and event manager in UO.

Here you have a thread of introduction to the community www.aionsource.com/forum/news-announcements/6315-greetings-salutations-introduction-nc-austin.html

Hopefuly he will do as well as he did in his previous games, next to Ayase, Amboss and Atreid (kieron doesn't start with A) I think Aion team is ready for some massive hype, let's see how they pull it now :)

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

That sounds like a very intelligent move,however what exactly is he suppose to do for this game to make it a north american venture?

I would say we over here expect a quality game full of content to make it worthy of an MMO title,not just glowing swords and armour?Maybe shed some light as to how this very good acquisition will help the game?so that is doesn't look like all the other F2P/lineage look alikes?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Well, he will be the community manager, someone who deals with official forums, dev blogs, and interacts with the community directly gathering players voices and getting those voices into the devs agendas. The same job he did at EvE.

The quality of the game isn't relying directly on him, but on the korean development team, (even tho he will take care of customer support, events, etc, which indeed make the game a bit more enjoyable) if you need any info about the game feel free to look around this forum or in my posting history, or ask directly for something a bit more concrete ;)

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by Wizardry

That sounds like a very intelligent move,however what exactly is he suppose to do for this game to make it a north american venture?
    I would say we over here expect a quality game full of content to make it worthy of an MMO title,not just glowing swords and armour?Maybe shed some light as to how this very good acquisition will help the game?so that is doesn't look like all the other F2P/lineage look alikes?

just to comment on the top area, atleast what has been claimed from the start is that it will be focussed on the north american and european market, alot less grind as normal (a bit more as WoW got), world interaction etc, we will see more tho when open beta starts and the abyss (biggest hunting zone for aion, gets released in cbt3 which should start in june hopefully) which lacks atm (cbt2 in korea) gets judgement of the players

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I can tell you right away that i believe like myself a lot of gamers are looking for a game that is challenging.

We don't want players acting leet bragging about there level 50 in one week and we don't want to be able to kill 50 mobs in 2 minutes,this is the experience i have got from ALL asian games at least 99% of them anyhow.No body seems to be pleased with questing and the way it is done in any game so i guess that part is still up for grabs.

Another aspect that adds content is of course crafting,i don't want that far over used so called crafting idea they use in asia.This is where by you get drops and basically add a potion so that your weapon/armour can be upgraded until you guessed it [it's a fancy glowing sword LOL].We also want a gaming world that isn't just static.

This is what i expect to see EVERYTIME i see a new release from korean/asian devs.A gaming world using very low poly graphics with a bunch of dotted mobs in a very static world.You can add a fancy looking spell and the glowing armour/weapons but that stuff gets REAL old fast to any mature gamer anyhow.I keep using the word CONTENT,because this is all part of it,we want a north american styled game full of content.

So by adding a NA rep/gm/whatever ,i just can't see them changing there ways in designing games over there for a long time yet.I guess what i am saying is that they might as well just hire the same ole they been hiring because the game will still be what i expect from over there.I would LOVE to be proven wrong ,because i would play there game in an instant if i am wrong.Heck i support an asian game right now FFXI and i have several accounts,i just need to see the over all effort,not just a few gimmicks.

Oh and screw the PVP that is getting real bad with every tom dick and you know who adding in very poorly designed PVP just for the sake of appeasing PVP'rs.IN a nutshell take a look at FFXI/EQ/WOW and you get a pretty good picture of what north americans want in a good game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I can tell you right away that i believe like myself a lot of gamers are looking for a game that is challenging.

1 We don't want players acting leet bragging about there level 50 in one week and we don't want to be able to kill 50 mobs in 2 minutes,this is the experience i have got from ALL asian games at least 99% of them anyhow.No body seems to be pleased with questing and the way it is done in any game so i guess that part is still up for grabs.

2 Another aspect that adds content is of course crafting,i don't want that far over used so called crafting idea they use in asia.This is where by you get drops and basically add a potion so that your weapon/armour can be upgraded until you guessed it [it's a fancy glowing sword LOL].We also want a gaming world that isn't just static.

3 This is what i expect to see EVERYTIME i see a new release from korean/asian devs.A gaming world using very low poly graphics with a bunch of dotted mobs in a very static world.You can add a fancy looking spell and the glowing armour/weapons but that stuff gets REAL old fast to any mature gamer anyhow.I keep using the word CONTENT,because this is all part of it,we want a north american styled game full of content.

4 So by adding a NA rep/gm/whatever ,i just can't see them changing there ways in designing games over there for a long time yet.I guess what i am saying is that they might as well just hire the same ole they been hiring because the game will still be what i expect from over there.I would LOVE to be proven wrong ,because i would play there game in an instant if i am wrong.Heck i support an asian game right now FFXI and i have several accounts,i just need to see the over all effort,not just a few gimmicks.

5 Oh and screw the PVP that is getting real bad with every tom dick and you know who adding in very poorly designed PVP just for the sake of appeasing PVP'rs.IN a nutshell take a look at FFXI/EQ/WOW and you get a pretty good picture of what north americans want in a good game.

killed it down to numbers to make it a lil bit easier to reply

1. well what game doesnt got gamers taht brag about well everything, cant blame the devs for that. The questing part is completly true tho, havent found any games that were filled with good quests, there is a but tho, the mainline quests appearantly are nice, cinematics etc (think ac2 when ya got another memory i think if ya ever played that)

2. crafting i aint to versed in, but from what i hear its different as it was in l2 (their other big title), having said that, well i cant say that much about it i just know its different

3. L2 still is one of the prettier mmorpgs out there and aion completly obliterates it, it runs on a tweaked farcry (note NOT crysis engine) and results can easily be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/zoekwon (or any screenshots on aionsource) having said that, youtubes videos are low quality but should give ya an impression anyway about the sheer ammount of people it can render whitout lagging (largescale pvp no problem) and the system demands for lowest set aint to bad (geforce 5600gt? i think)

edit:

About the static world, it aint static, there is a 3rd race that does that, which jumps in when the sides become unbalanced, or things happen that they dont like, hell from what i hear after a month or 2 there wont be 2 the same servers anymore due to changes in the game (been a while since i read about it) but it wont be static

4. The entire game (supposedly, again cant say for sure till we played it) is tailored towards the west (eu/us), grindwise etc

5.  PvP is still being tweaked, but this is the only point i dont really trust the devs, since well just look at most mmorpgs, its so easy to mess up and unbalance stuff. And despite their best intentions well we play different as their current testers (koreans)

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

We don't want players acting leet bragging about there level 50 in one week and we don't want to be able to kill 50 mobs in 2 minutes,this is the experience i have got from ALL asian games at least 99% of them anyhow.No body seems to be pleased with questing and the way it is done in any game so i guess that part is still up for grabs.
    Another aspect that adds content is of course crafting,i don't want that far over used so called crafting idea they use in asia.This is where by you get drops and basically add a potion so that your weapon/armour can be upgraded until you guessed it [it's a fancy glowing sword LOL].We also want a gaming world that isn't just static.
    This is what i expect to see EVERYTIME i see a new release from korean/asian devs.A gaming world using very low poly graphics with a bunch of dotted mobs in a very static world.You can add a fancy looking spell and the glowing armour/weapons but that stuff gets REAL old fast to any mature gamer anyhow.I keep using the word CONTENT,because this is all part of it,we want a north american styled game full of content.
    So by adding a NA rep/gm/whatever ,i just can't see them changing there ways in designing games over there for a long time yet.I guess what i am saying is that they might as well just hire the same ole they been hiring because the game will still be what i expect from over there.I would LOVE to be proven wrong ,because i would play there game in an instant if i am wrong.Heck i support an asian game right now FFXI and i have several accounts,i just need to see the over all effort,not just a few gimmicks.
    Oh and screw the PVP that is getting real bad with every tom dick and you know who adding in very poorly designed PVP just for the sake of appeasing PVP'rs.IN a nutshell take a look at FFXI/EQ/WOW and you get a pretty good picture of what north americans want in a good game.

Alyvian, his post was regarding my last post where I offered him to answer his doubts, he isn't being offensive towards the game.

Ok, ill try to reply to every point stated:

This game is focused on the conflict between races, the main challenge, as in many other games, will be PvP and PvP targets, that being said, you won't be able to kill 50 mobs in 2 minutes. Many beta testers actually complain cause the game is quite challenging, andsome of them want it dumbed down.

Aion CBT2 Review

*notice that the tester complains about content only after level 30 (max level was 34). Devs stated that was so cause they couldn't get 2 of the 3 zones for level 30+ done in time, and quests and content will be there on the next CBT).*

Crafting in Aion is complex and fun. There are resources you have to harvest, and after getting them, you go to the crafting plattforms in order to create complex materials and elixirs, etc. Climatics affect the rate for resources to spawn, if it's raining, vegetation will sprout and you'll be able to gather faster as an example of that, this feature is already in closed beta.

video about crafting

Info about crafting

The graphics are amazing, no doubt. It's using cryengine, which was used for games like Farcry. But of course, being a game with massive pvps, the graphics will be quite scalable, so people with a 5700 GT will be able to run it (if devs words are accurate).

NCsoft is a multinational company, it's not your typical Korean low budget one. They are adding a NA rep and that doesn't affect the game development, and it's not what I've tried to state. This post was made for those who have been following Aion for a while already, so they know there will be someone taking care of the North American players needs taking them to the game developers.

Ncsoft has a huge studio in Austin (Texas) and another in Brighton (England), they are stablished as one of the biggest MMO companies in the world.

About PvP, I posted the basics here.

About balance, it's known that they are using an advanced logs creator which is helping them to balance out classes by knowing which classes get more kills, which hits are more decissive, and so on, check about this in here

a well power of fail enable!

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226

NCsoft ought to hire Ephimero. And I'm too poor but thanks for the props in your title, Alyvian.

Love those links, heheheh. ;)

• monkeyspymonkeyspy Member Posts: 196

Boy I would love to play this game.  It looks awesome everytime I see pics and videos of it.  I would love to be in the beta testing phase of this game. 

I'm begging for this game to come stateside.

dont worry about it, it will come when time is due :)

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226

In the meantime, if you want to watch AionSource.com for posts by any NCsoft employees check out the DevTracker!

AionSource.com DevTracker