Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds: An ION Chat with Joe Ybarra

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

At the recent ION conference, MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh had the opportunity to speak with Joe Ybarra of Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment's Stargate Worlds. The pair talked about the progress of the game, and a little bit about subjects like beta and mini-games.

Joe Ybarra is one of the original game producers for Electronic Arts.  His roster of achievements in award winning games include Bards Tale and Starflight, and his MMORPG credits include Shadowbane and Matrix Online.  At the 2008 ION Games Conference, I finally tracked him down for a chat about Stargate Worlds which will be published by FireSky, a subsidiary of Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment.

“How,” I asked Joe Ybarra, Senior Vice President of Strategic Operations at Firesky, “did you get involved in making Stargate World?”  I wanted to know how a small software company that started out as Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment ended up with an IP like Stargate and the cooperation with MGM studios for an MMORPG.

Read the article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I am a huge SG1 fan and am sooo looking forward to this game.  In all honesty, unless it is just horrible, I will probably play as long as possible.  I am crossing my fingers that it won't be a dud like so many other IPs in recent years.

This would be cool if it comes through:

“So, much like Darth Vader walking around in Star Wars and interacting with the players, perhaps we may have the actors themselves playing their Stargate World characters in game?”  I probed.  Ybarra merely smiled.

• qcjoeqcjoe Member Posts: 17

I have big hopes for this game.   Lets hope they can deliver the goods.

• bubu_3kbubu_3k Member UncommonPosts: 108

I seriously doubt they will really bring something new to the table. Every mmo promises the moon and the stars. How many actually do it? And from those few that actually manage to bring something new most of them have major issue on the other aspects. It will probably just your common mmo... and i play it just coz i like SG and it's sci-fi ...unless the scrue it really bad so make it that easy that even a 2year old kid could learn to play it in 1 hr (was referring to the part they will want to make the  game friendly to somebody that hasn't played any games before)

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by bubu_3k

I seriously doubt they will really bring something new to the table. Every mmo promises the moon and the stars. How many actually do it? And from those few that actually manage to bring something new most of them have major issue on the other aspects. It will probably just your common mmo... and i play it just coz i like SG and it's sci-fi ...unless the scrue it really bad so make it that easy that even a 2year old kid you learn to play it in 1 hr (was referring to the part they will want to make the  game friendly to somebody that hasn't played any games before)

That's a rather pessimistic stand you're taking. Sure, they may promise the moon and the stars, but sooner or later someone has to deliver them. What's stopping SGW from doing just that?

• bubu_3kbubu_3k Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by Lydon

Originally posted by bubu_3k

I seriously doubt they will really bring something new to the table. Every mmo promises the moon and the stars. How many actually do it? And from those few that actually manage to bring something new most of them have major issue on the other aspects. It will probably just your common mmo... and i play it just coz i like SG and it's sci-fi ...unless the scrue it really bad so make it that easy that even a 2year old kid you learn to play it in 1 hr (was referring to the part they will want to make the  game friendly to somebody that hasn't played any games before)

That's a rather pessimistic stand you're taking. Sure, they may promise the moon and the stars, but sooner or later someone has to deliver them. What's stopping SGW from doing just that?

Tbh I'd love to be wrong about this one especially since this one is the only game I'm waiting for (if we're not counting Earthrise coz, well, that one is too far from even beta). But 7 years of mmos  made me not believe in what every dev says about their products, and that if you're not careful with this types of games your social life might suffer =)). Or maybe it's just me having weird tastes in mmo and can't stand the depth of many "top" mmos. Eve has it but at least for me that game is too boooring. Or you could just take it...if it's too good to be trough probably isn't :)

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I enjoyed that interview. To have the actual actors doing improv would be great. Watching AmandaT, ChrisJ, and BenB on stage at ComicCon shows they have a good sense of humor. Oh yeah, that guy that dials the gate too. ;)

(i kid i kid - we all know it's Walter)

so...

• kagdakagda Member Posts: 85

very much looking for this game as well..... been a long time sg1 fan, and hopefully this mmo will come out to be true to the series (aka Good)

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy