Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After using AoC's forums, no official forums for WAR seems smart

Comments

• Hoobley_deletedHoobley_deleted Member Posts: 677

I guess there's little to no point bitching and moaning and / or trolling on a fansite's forums.

I wasn't impressed at first when there were no official forums, but Mythic do a very nice job of keeping their potential customers informed about the game and it's features through many different types of media.

I have no doubt that there are beta forums though and that's all the feedback they need right now, informed feedback.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

AoC took quite some heat because the forums were not open to non subscribers for a while (not 100% sure if they are open now, I didn't bother with them). Most of the accusations were revolving around Funcom having to hide something, thus why they kept the forums "private".

WAR on the other hand is going towards a no-forums-at-all solution and people are applauding for that choice?

Can you spot the inconsistency?

Originally posted by Xasapis

AoC took quite some heat because the forums were not open to non subscribers for a while (not 100% sure if they are open now, I didn't bother with them). Most of the accusations were revolving around Funcom having to hide something, thus why they kept the forums "private".
    WAR on the other hand is going towards a no-forums-at-all solution and people are applauding for that choice?

I don't know this for a fact, but I would guess they will have official forums after release. (I'm assuming we're talking about pre-release official forums in this thread)

Can anyone clarify whether I'm right or wrong?

This is what non-paying customers see when going to the AoC boards, at the time of this post they are still not accessible in a read only format to potential customers;

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

Mythic has nothing to hide, but Funcom however gave players a reason to be suspicious.

STOP WHINING!

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

From an outsider's point of view, Mythic has more to hide by depriving the players from the option. This is why I find it inconsistent. I just mention Funcom because the discussion is more recent. It could have been SWG forums or any other forums closed to non-subscribers, temporary or permanently.

From an outsider's point of view, Mythic has more to hide by depriving the players from the option. This is why I find it inconsistent. I just mention Funcom because the discussion is more recent. It could have been SWG forums or any other forums closed to non-subscribers, temporary or permanently.
    This I don't agree with.

Mythic are telling their potential customers the information they want to. They are using a different medium other than forums to do this.

AoC making their post-release forums accessible only to paying customers excludes potential customers from reading about the state of the game from existing customers and making an informed decision. People do not pay 50 bucks to troll and misinform, those are the opinions of Funcom's paying customers. I'm not asking to be able to post there, but make them read only for everyone.

Warhammer is not released yet and beta testers are under the NDA so what else is there to be gained from pre-release forums other than fanboi / troll speculation?

This is coming from someone who thought no official pre-release forums was a failing on Mythic's part for a long time. My outlook on things have changed quite a lot in the past year.

• RalzarRalzar Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Hoobley

I don't know this for a fact, but I would guess they will have official forums after release. (I'm assuming we're talking about pre-release official forums in this thread)

You're wrong.

WAR will not have official forums. EVER.

Edit: Other than Beta-forums, obviously.

The Black Banner
    Join our EU-based RP Chaos Regiment!

• Roche7Roche7 Member Posts: 89

/www.warhammeralliance.com Devs post there, moderated wonderfully, in fact if you dont say enough of what is needed they complain.

Wow Oboards, I get topics deleted that are constructive while there are 300+ topics going by trolls.

anyways we need one good reason for mythic not to have forums.... lets see...

Spend my sub fee on forums or content... hmm, good for nothing forums or content. This is going to be hard.

Originally posted by Ralzar

Originally posted by Hoobley

You're wrong.

WAR will not have official forums. EVER.

Edit: Other than Beta-forums, obviously.

Thanks, that's why I asked.

I don't agree with that choice as it happens.

• TierceTierce Member Posts: 49

For the people with suspicions that funcom has something to hide so that's why their forums are only open to paying subscribers, I don't think that is the reason.  They have stated to the subscribers, and I believe them, that they want to control the traffic to the forums so that they can guarantee they will be up and running for all the paying customers.  Despite that, the forums have already been down a few times since release, and they were down for most of the early access period.  They just took the common business approach of cutting costs on what were considered non-essential components and under allocated server resources for the forums.  They barely had, or did not have enough resources to keep the forums up for paying subscribers, so they could not afford to have the massive traffic of all the non-subscribers on top of that, or else the forums would not be working for anybody.  They did the same thing with game servers.  Only had the bare minimum for launch and then after those quickly filled up, they opened more so that there would be enough.  Still seeing short queues sometimes though.  I know for a fact that there have been <5 queues from time to time on my server. 

Since the first few days though, the forums have been up all the time with no problems that I have seen.  I suspect that they will be opening the forums to everybody soon once they are certain they have enough resources to keep them up with the increased traffic. 

• IxnatifualIxnatifual Member Posts: 475

Originally posted by Celestian

Originally posted by Ixnatifual

Not having an official forum is one of the smartest things Mythic have done. Players will spread over various well-moderated fansites where garbage can be sorted out.

And no, you don't need a forum to get support. A simple form will do.

LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!

Well moderated? Laugh! Not only is moderation a misnomer on this topic is also a joke considering every person on the planet will be able to invade the forum and fill it with garbage.

DAoC didn't "prove" you could do it without Forums, they just did it because they said they couldn't afford it which is laughable.

Please, don't suggest that "fan sites" are well moderated, that is the biggest joke.

There are a lot of reasons a official website/forums is a good idea and they've been posted about a lot.

Suggesting AoC forums are useless and believing it based on this one nit posting is just ignorance at it's best. I've already picked up good tips from those forums specific to my class, my machine setup and how I play the game. I got the same information from WoW's forums as well. If you think fishing through those forums is hard try doing it now spread across 10-20 websites of random quality and uptime and not a single one of those require you to be subscribed to the game to post.

Good luck with your "great idea".

Well moderated - exactly. The AoC and WoW forums of what happens when you have an official forum. They quickly become littered with too much garbage for anyone to have a decent chance of moderation - a needless headache. It's much smarter to decentralize the forums by letting the various fan site forums do the job. Spreading the playerbase amongst forums makes the moderation manageable, and further benefits are that you avoid conflicts of interests by having the developers moderate the playerbase.

DAoC certainly worked quite well without official forum, so it's already proven that it works well.

Sure, you can find ideas on the official forums as well, but the signal to noise ratio on such forums for popular games is atrocious. It's simply much better the way Mythic is doing it.

I don't see why you'd go fishing through all forums individually. Google is your friend.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Yeah. Great news, it worked damn well for Sigil. So it will work great here aswell.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Originally posted by Tierce

For the people with suspicions that funcom has something to hide so that's why their forums are only open to paying subscribers, I don't think that is the reason.  They have stated to the subscribers, and I believe them, that they want to control the traffic to the forums so that they can guarantee they will be up and running for all the paying customers.  Despite that, the forums have already been down a few times since release, and they were down for most of the early access period.  They just took the common business approach of cutting costs on what were considered non-essential components and under allocated server resources for the forums.  They barely had, or did not have enough resources to keep the forums up for paying subscribers, so they could not afford to have the massive traffic of all the non-subscribers on top of that, or else the forums would not be working for anybody.  They did the same thing with game servers.  Only had the bare minimum for launch and then after those quickly filled up, they opened more so that there would be enough.  Still seeing short queues sometimes though.  I know for a fact that there have been <5 queues from time to time on my server. 
    Since the first few days though, the forums have been up all the time with no problems that I have seen.  I suspect that they will be opening the forums to everybody soon once they are certain they have enough resources to keep them up with the increased traffic. 
    Completely agree with you on this Tierce. I do not see anything nefarious about what Funcom has done. I have visited the official forums a handfull of times, but decided that I did not bring enough cheese to the whine party. I honestly found most of the info I needed for technical issues on various hardware enthusiest sites like Hardocp and tomshardware. I plan to revisit the official forums once everyone has to start to pay for their subscription and all those who do not plan to pay move on to a game they enjoy.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493
    Originally posted by altairzq

Yes instead of giving a good forum for your players that have bought your game, turn your back to them and wish them good luck somewhere else with a smile. This is very professional and shows a great care for your community. And some players are even happy with the decission and accept they have no right for an official forum! They will soon accept they are so crappy they have no right for technical support anymore, wow they will be drooling in pleasure!

Oh just get over yourself.

Originally posted by Celestian

Originally posted by Ascension08

20? Divide that by 10. That's how many fansites I can find answers at. You want Mythic to waste time and money trying to moderate forums that will be filled with garbage anyways? While fansites do it for free because they're people like you and I, who get sick of the stupidity? AoC forums aren't useless I'm sure but they're close. And fansites provide a simple place for FANS (Fansite, fans, WHAT THE HELL?) to meet.

20 or 2 doesn't matter they still allow people that don't even play the game to post and if you somehow think that removing that restriction will somehow allow a "fan site" to moderate itself then you're sadly mistaken.

It doesn't cost much at all to run forums and with decent moderation tools (3 day bans, full bans for ACCOUNTS/etc) and limit the access to post to customers with accounts is easy enough. Mythic isn't some mom-and-pop shop anymore. The excuse that it costs to much is just that, a lame excuse these days.

If they can't keep some asshat from posting in their own forums they have other issues that will exist in their game anyway. I dunno about you but a threat to ban my account from the posting and/or the game would keep me and probably anyone from being an asshat. You can't do that on any fan site.

You should stick to your guns here.  Don't purchase or play this game and show them who is boss with your wallet.  Don't back down on this or become a hypocrite about it.

Yes.  It is in your little head.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

The inconsistency only exists for those who bashed Funcom over their decision and applaud EA/Mythic for theirs. If you are assuming that all WAR fans are bashing AoC then you wrong. Otherwise your wrong outside of the exemption in my first sentence. Secondly EA/Mythic have made very few claims about what will be in their game at launch. All they have publically stated is what is in their game currently in beta. So far Funcom has gone back on their word numerous times.

Now I play AoC and enjoy it, I have not bashed the game. I am in WAR beta, and I enjoy it. Sometimes you AoC fans need to realize that some of us enjoy both games. This is not entirely aimed at you Xasapis, but the post I quoted above seems to allude to the fact that WAR fans are bashing AoC about the forum issue, and I can assure you that the longstanding WAR fans on this site have not been the one's bashing your game. In fact most of the bashing seems to come from former AoC fans.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

No forums is the best thing Mythic could have ever done from both a business and customer perspective.

First off what are forums good for? Game discussion which can already be done here, WHA, and half a dozen other Warhammer sites. They are good for game news and information which is where the Warherald comes in and Dev posts are already being done at multiple of the previously mentioned fansites.

So since the main functions that an official forum are covered what left is there? Trolling. So you are saying they need to have an official forums just for trolls? Sorry it is a bad business move. When dealing with hundreds of thousands if not over a million come release you need a lot of people to monitor forums. Most kids and heck even adults these don't know whats aproprate anymore. Think of it in a classroom type setting. 1 teacher for every 20 students and still have problems controling them. Now imagine that but on a forum where there is almost no accountability for your actions. That is why most of the internet is a cespool of horribleness. So Mythic would have to hire a team of probably 20-30 people to keep forums moderated and thats probably even on the border of the forums still being bad. So with no forums they aren't wasting cash or time on trying to keep forum order.

From a customer standpoint you should be happy. No forums means that you will have a tighter knit community that is by and large 1000x better than an official forum. People will actually ask other people questions in game instead of jumping directly to a forum page with no interaction. Community forums will be better moderated by volunteers that actually read the forums.

BTW anyone that played WoW and used their forums can tell you that those forums are not used for information gathering. You go to say elitest Jerks forums to get class information or Boss Killers to get boss killing info. WoW forums are whine fests about PvP, Arena, Raiding, lore, etc on a GOOD day. On a bad day they are racist, sexist, and any other type of discriminatory, hateful behavior you can think of.

So if you actually think that having no forums is a pitfall then maybe you should think  about maybe learning to communicate in a civil manner and get the information from your realm mates. All major information will be available on Warherald and anything else you can get from people on your realm by just asking. If you feel so inclined to discuss things you can use a fansite. There is no downside to not having forums.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

No forums is the best thing Mythic could have ever done from both a business and customer perspective.

Would be nice if you had backed that up with facts but you didn't.

First off what are forums good for? Game discussion which can already be done here, WHA, and half a dozen other Warhammer sites. They are good for game news and information which is where the Warherald comes in and Dev posts are already being done at multiple of the previously mentioned fansites.

The discussions on forums are hardly organized or even centralized here or any fan website. Please suggesting that these forums contain even 1/4 of the USEFUL posts of the WoW class forums is just silly.

So since the main functions that an official forum are covered what left is there? Trolling. So you are saying they need to have an official forums just for trolls? Sorry it is a bad business move. When dealing with hundreds of thousands if not over a million come release you need a lot of people to monitor forums. Most kids and heck even adults these don't know whats aproprate anymore. Think of it in a classroom type setting. 1 teacher for every 20 students and still have problems controling them. Now imagine that but on a forum where there is almost no accountability for your actions. That is why most of the internet is a cespool of horribleness. So Mythic would have to hire a team of probably 20-30 people to keep forums moderated and thats probably even on the border of the forums still being bad. So with no forums they aren't wasting cash or time on trying to keep forum order.

Again most if not ALL of this is not based in fact or true.

From a customer standpoint you should be happy. No forums means that you will have a tighter knit community that is by and large 1000x better than an official forum. People will actually ask other people questions in game instead of jumping directly to a forum page with no interaction. Community forums will be better moderated by volunteers that actually read the forums.

This is just a complete pile of manure. How on earth you come to the conclusion that random forums on fan based websites creates a "tighter knit" community is beyond me. Server based official forums do FAR MORE to promote community than random fan based websites.

BTW anyone that played WoW and used their forums can tell you that those forums are not used for information gathering. You go to say elitest Jerks forums to get class information or Boss Killers to get boss killing info. WoW forums are whine fests about PvP, Arena, Raiding, lore, etc on a GOOD day. On a bad day they are racist, sexist, and any other type of discriminatory, hateful behavior you can think of.

I played WoW, I used the forums. I found a WEALTH of gaming information on those forums. The people claiming that there is nothing but flames and trolls there are the people that are clueless. So I guess your "anyone" theory isn't to accurate.

So if you actually think that having no forums is a pitfall then maybe you should think about maybe learning to communicate in a civil manner and get the information from your realm mates.

When you have to deal with the people that don't even play the game on forums randomly moderated by the whim of the administrators and then claim you need to be civil and ask your realm mates... that just says a volumes about how much of a clue you actually have on this topic.

All major information will be available on Warherald and anything else you can get from people on your realm by just asking. If you feel so inclined to discuss things you can use a fansite. There is no downside to not having forums.

There are tons of downsides to not having official forums. You just neglected to read anything anyone has ever posted on the topic and proved it by this post.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by vmoped
    Originally posted by Celestian LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!LoL!!! LoL!!!
    Well moderated? Laugh! Not only is moderation a misnomer on this topic is also a joke considering every person on the planet will be able to invade the forum and fill it with garbage.
    Yea we all know how helpfull the WoW forums are, and to be honest I find no help on the AoC forums as well. Only a bunch of opinions, whines, and flame threads. Kinda like yours. Just a bunch of people trying to see how many times they can type LoL.
    Cheers!

You've not ever read the WoW forums nor the AoC forums if you can't find helpful class advice. All of them have both and that's not including general advice. Most of which isn't on random fan websites.

If you somehow think a forum where anyone can post will be better than forum were only the people with active accounts can post will be any better I have to suggest your grasp on sanity is tenuous at best. Typing LoL is hardly the worst you'll see on a open forum.

• DeadzoDeadzo Member Posts: 29

Mythic has always used this cheap & lame tactic.  It's a cop-out.  If you've got nothing to hide, put your forums up for the whole internet to see.  They save money doing it too, but lose a community.  I get suspicious of obfuscation.

As useless as the general boards may seem, it is still a community, and it draws people back into the game who have long since quit. 

So people bad mouth this and that.  So what.  They still keep playing.  Unless your game is so horrible that you need to keep a wrap on it, grant public access to your official forum.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Deadzo

Mythic has always used this cheap & lame tactic.  It's a cop-out.  If you've got nothing to hide, put your forums up for the whole internet to see.  They save money doing it too, but lose a community.  I get suspicious of obfuscation.

As useless as the general boards may seem, it is still a community, and it draws people back into the game who have long since quit. 

So people bad mouth this and that.  So what.  They still keep playing.  Unless your game is so horrible that you need to keep a wrap on it, grant public access to your official forum.

loose a community   hmm...lets see   Just look at how many guilds are already forming ,all the podcast downloaded each month,  the beta ticker at 700,000 THIS FAR away from beta ,the numerous fansites that are poping up and the amount of (non-troller) posters even just here at mmorpg.com .  there may be no Mythic forums but i mean a monthly newsletter that gives us so my information each month builds this community (for the better part of it) right...and i will be proud to fight with...or against these people and i hope to see a lot of the posters here in game

next time think before you post and say there is no community   and really with  the funds Mythic is getting I'm sure they can pay people to run forums  but why bother...

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Deadzo

it's not a cop out. You might want to look into the history of the term cop out.

• kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638

90% f the fun from DAoC came from our own realm foums. you basicaly went on there and called people out from the other realm and talked smack about who beat who.... thus breeding more annymosity and more realm pride.

ya that never happened in wow. it was all about who is raiding what cave tonight and killin which mobs. If I were smart... I would host realm forums on mmorpg.com .... hmmmmm

• GuileGuile Member Posts: 37

Communities should be developed in the servers not in forums, i for one, am glad that there are no forums, other MMO forums are just for whining.