Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cartoony graphics?

MegaWolfMegaWolf Member Posts: 425

I read the hypes for WoW and i saw a lot of people say that the graphics look cartoony. I just want to point out a few things. First off, i post this here because i figured you guys would in some way respect what i say.

First thing, CELL SHADED GRAPHICS ARE CARTOONY! WoW graphics have the Warcraft feel. Its not like bugs bunny running around on a cloud...

Second, I love the way it looks. It is not all dark and it has a cool feel to it. They use a lot of good colors and it will be a game you can't take your eyes off of.

Really thats all i have to say. And coming from someone who is buying EQ2 will be definatly trying this game. I don't see how people can hate it so much just because they like another game that seems to be a little tough competition.

BTW... i dont know if you have gotten posts like this before or not. With all the stress tests posts i see i couldnt seem to find one before... so sorry if this is just another repeat.

Playing: Vanguard SoH
Played: EQ, Planetside, SWG, WoW, EQ2

Comments

• moukinmoukin Member Posts: 278

yeah, everyone's really blabby about the stress test  :p

From what I've seen in screenshots and video clips I really love the graphics.  My first MMORPG was Ragnarok Online.  I've played a few other games in beta and otherwise and I've noticed a personal trend...

I tend to prefer the games that AREN'T graphically realisitc.  I especially enjoyed the graphics in games that were cartoony and brightly colored (RO, Fairyland Online)

One thing that I really love about WoW graphics is how it's a combination of realism and "cartoonishness".  The character body designs are realistically proportioned and designed, etc. But they have that slight hint of non-realism.  Like a caricature, sort of.  And the colors are incredibly rich and beautiful throughout the game. 

Meh...it's late and I'm having trouble describing what I mean.

• MegaWolfMegaWolf Member Posts: 425

It has the feel of a fantasy game. Games that pull you away from reality always seem to be more fun. For example... i played Zelda:Windwaker and i loved it. It just was a fun game and didnt have any depressing parts in it. It was colorful and even when it got hard it made the game fun.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

If someone can look at JuniorX dance2 WoW video and still call the graphics cartoony.  They need their eyes examined.  I nearly laughed myself to death.

In my honest opinion the graphics and textures are dead on for WoW.  It's pretty much how WC3 would look if scaled up.  As it should be.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

The only beef I have with the graphics is the bump mapping. Because there isn't any. So anything in the game will look like a box because it has a flat surface. The trees look like cardboard, the floor looks like carpet, ect.

But all in all i think the graphics are pretty good. The only thing i'm worried about is the value of the game image.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

I don't know, this screenshot of a gnome and night elf looks a little cartoonish to me.

::::01:: ::::01:: ::::01::

image image

• moukinmoukin Member Posts: 278
    HA!  image

Here is the new human mount

• PsouthPsouth Member Posts: 128

Yes he is picking flat apples off of a tree of flat apples.

I do always say taste the rainbow but i always sift through my bag o' skittles to get to the white ones.

• agentcipheragentcipher Member Posts: 223

The thing everyone's said about WoW is that the screenshots don't come close to doing it justice, for it doesn't capture the 'atmosphere' of it all. I've seen some of the videos people have taken (that aren't on completely terrible machines) and I must say that watching it live is a bit more impressive than staring at screenshots.

---------------------------

---------------------------

free ipods

Proof it's not a scam

• MegaWolfMegaWolf Member Posts: 425

Originally posted by Psouth

Yes he is picking flat apples off of a tree of flat apples.

I do always say taste the rainbow but i always sift through my bag o' skittles to get to the white ones.

but look at the atmosphere behind him... It just looks great! Green trees, blue sky... what more could you want?

• MonkeyLookerMonkeyLooker Member Posts: 34

I like WoW graphics it feels like home in RoC and FT3 imagefor some reason i just like the graphicsimage

FFXI-Taru Warrior lvl 25 Quit
    EQOA-Dwf paladin lvl 26 on Castle Lightwolf -Danamar-
    PristonTale-Knight lvl 17 Quit ( it is free =) )

• LoStCaUz3LoStCaUz3 Member Posts: 1,154

This game uses a different artistic style than a lot of games in production. It also uses more color than a lot of recent MMOs. Seems the latest fashion of these games is to use brown as a primary color. Vanguard, L2, EQ2...all of these games have very little color(from what I have seen).

If you compare the games I mentioned above by just looks, just about every one of them has WoW beat. But if you look at style and coloring, there is a different result. It just seems that WoW is using a different type of artistic styling than everyone else. And WoW's style looks just so much more inviting than all of the other styles out there.

Look at all of the color used in this screenshot.

Now look at all of the color, well...not used.

And...

• Sk8andgamesSk8andgames Member Posts: 270

Originally posted by rathma

Here is the new human mount

/sarcasm pfft looks like ima b human now image

Originally posted by LoStCaUz3

Vanguard, L2, EQ2...all of these games have very little color(from what I have seen).

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

I guess you could call WoW's graphics cartoony.  I'd use the word "stylized" myself.   Personally, I like the look of the game....  I've been fortunate enough to see the game first hand and it looks fantastic.  Very immersive and true to the franchise.  Photorealism is a moving target for MMORPGs.  What looks completely realistic this year will be dated next year.  When EQ came out, folks raved about the realistic graphics.  Look at it now.  Having style is preferable to attempting absolute realism.

• PsouthPsouth Member Posts: 128
    Yah, but the gameplay movies i've watched are very disappointing, because initially i thougt stylized was just another way of a cool unique game, and then i saw the environments that people were in in the movies, and they were just so barren and dull, with not enough interesting things dotting the landscape, and the landscape being ugly in my opinion. I mean sure there are trees,but there are 3 different types of trees in the game, Winter snowcovered, Regular, And barren desert tree. You can only look at the same kinds of trees for ya know 6 minutes until they start to manifest hate in you.

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    Hmmm.... well, I'm not sure when the movie you saw was made, but the last time I saw the game (last Wednesday if memory serves - a friend of mine is in the Beta), the landscapes were quite detailed and there were more than three types of trees.   Even in Beta, this game has more varirty than the last two games I subscribed to.  You should take a second look.

• Az2002roAz2002ro Member UncommonPosts: 158

Originally posted by Greyface
    Hmmm.... well, I'm not sure when the movie you saw was made, but the last time I saw the game (last Wednesday if memory serves - a friend of mine is in the Beta), the landscapes were quite detailed and there were more than three types of trees.   Even in Beta, this game has more varirty than the last two games I subscribed to.  You should take a second look.

I totally agree.  I am in beta, and have checked out quite a few of the starting areas.  This game has more atmosphere and landmarks dotting the landscape than any other game I've played.  My mouth has dropped a half dozen times in the last week by seeing things for the first time and being in aww.  ie.  Ironforge is incredible.  A treant (not called that).  a lot of the "micro dungeons" and the uniqueness/detail of them.

This game is good, and the world designers should be bowed to in respect by all other MMO creators. :)

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by rathma  image

Look at the character models armor/robe. It's so out of color. I wouldn't even wear that.  WoW has unique graphics. Very colorful and detailed.
    EDIT: and look at that staff. . . . It looks like a wooden stick with one color. No color detail at all . . .

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• LugnardLugnard Member Posts: 474

Here's a really good screenshot index of WoW:

http://www.xennon.co.uk/wowshots/index.php

tons of cool screenshots but by far my favorites are:

http://www.xennon.co.uk/wowshots/pics/505.jpg

And

http://www.xennon.co.uk/wowshots/pics/278.jpg

WoW by far has the best environments of any MMORPG to date...

Originally posted by Lugnard

Here's a really good screenshot index of WoW:
    http://www.xennon.co.uk/wowshots/index.php
    WoW by far has the best environments of any MMORPG to date...

Awsome screenshots

|

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Look at the character models armor/robe. It's so out of color. I wouldn't even wear that. WoW has unique graphics. Very colorful and detailed.EDIT: and look at that staff. . . . It looks like a wooden stick with one color. No color detail at all . . .

Well, if you like more colorful robes....

Too bright for me, but I like this next one. Nice coloring and texture.

image image

• LugnardLugnard Member Posts: 474
    Those EQ2 screenshots are extremely bland. Those colors don't blend to the world at all and the characters look like out of place Barbies.

Originally posted by n2sooners

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Look at the character models armor/robe. It's so out of color. I wouldn't even wear that. WoW has unique graphics. Very colorful and detailed.EDIT: and look at that staff. . . . It looks like a wooden stick with one color. No color detail at all . . .

Well, if you like more colorful robes....

Too bright for me, but I like this next one. Nice coloring and texture.

That robe is kinda hot though . . .

|

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398

Mmmmm, gotta love short arms..

I find it hilarious that SOE still hasn't done anything about those dam arms.  They look so pathetic.  I honestly hope their just too stupid to notice, because I can't think of any reasonable excuse to keeping them short.

This discussion has been closed.