Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Losing ship is not right

It is rare to see In so many games on the market that player may lose something in the battle or pvp. This kind of logic means that player can also downgrade to their level. Losing exp is minimum penalty to punish upon your failure, or you suffered from the lose.

Losing a ship in POTBS is sort of putting player's virtual property in totally ignorance. Also, the pvp in POTBS is nothing to do with your character build because normally in lv50 pvp, it's ship combat than avatar to avatar. For a game being so commericalized, let's talk about money. You can pay extra money to repair your ship other than losing your ship.

There are many penalties in this game already, the longer I am playing the game the more I felt being tortured by this game. It is no doubt somebody will call it it's fun.

Comments

• icarus314icarus314 Member Posts: 8

The ship is as much the character as their human avatar.  You do not lose the ship unless you let its durability go below 1.   You can refill the durability of a ship by purchasing the same ship deed and clicking refill durability at the harbor master.  Of course, if you are being destroyed repeatably this will become an issue as it will not be possible to pay for the expenses.

However, from what I have been reading, they have plans to add insurance.  So, you will get a payoff based on your ship cost every time you lose an engagement and thus lose a durability point on your ship. This will help off set some of the costs incurred from pvp.

My character is only a Rank 25 Naval Officer but I have managed to avoid pvp so far (knock on wood).  There have been times when I have had to go through red zones to get to important quest ports too.

I do think they need to do something to keep very high level players from praying on low level ones.  The problem though is that high level players might then use low level alts to run cargo without worry which would cause issues with ports.

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

The ship is like armor in this game because you can buy ship from auction house and the gears to equip on your ship, the ship cannot be like player's role in the game. In other words, you will lose your armor in combat.

I have never heard  any game would came up with "insutance", this is rabsurd and completely contrary to the way we used to play in most of other games. OK, POTBS do not need to follow other games step.

Now, the game trying to comfort or compensate the player who losing a ship with this insurance. Since the game offers insurance then they could offer another option to player who wanted to keep their ship and pay a little more gold to the insurance company (SOE). If the insurance pay up to 100 gold, then keeping the ship will cost double and the repair cost is not included yet. Because such insurance is definitely different from the real life insurance company. 

By the way, Pirate ship only have 1 durability, although it maybe able to hijack another ship but the thing is, there are 6 permanent gears installed on the ship and they are cost more than a ship's value.

If you spent time to build a unique ship then you may know it is very expensive and definitely not worthy to lose it in 1 minute PVP.

The game is pirates of burning sea, so I think the developer may already have pre-judgement before the game released, that's why Pirates is so degraded in the game. I though it would be a fair game. On the server Abraham, I can see 95% players are playing British.

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

In the L2P section of the forum is a thread on how to never lose your ship:

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21565

Also in R1.5 there is ship insurance that will pay back the value of your sunk ship by 50%

Ship loss is still the main economic sink so without it the economy or ship building would come to a virtual halt.

Only if you play spanish, french, british have durability on ship. It's different if you play Pirate. I play pirate only so my ship is always 1 durability which means I will lose the ship in one battle.

What concerns me more are:

1. It will take me long time and hundred thousands of gold to be able to build a ship as well as those gears to equip on the ship. It is pointless to build ship if you can't keep it. And I'd never think it will make crafting useless because it may take you 3-5 months to build a good ship. Besides, who is going to do crafting if you can't keep what you crafted.

2. The insurance will never able to cover the value of the ship, the insurance based on the npc price than AH price. And it is an insult to player if insurance pay his ship has market value 10,000 gold for 100 gold on npc price.

Some of those gears euipped permanently on the ship are rare, and I think POTBS expects player should have used the lowest value ship to do pvp just to avoid losing it.

• icarus314icarus314 Member Posts: 8

Yes, Pirates have 1 durability point on their ship but that is to offset the fact that it is very easy for pirates to get a ship.  All they have to do is hijack one and they have a new ship.  No others have that ability.   So, you do not have to buy a ship if you are a pirate. 

As for the components costing more than a ship, that might be the case for some ships.  You do have 6 slots(2 hull, 2 cannon, 2 sail) and then the 3 general slots(whose stuff isnt lost).  I think I typically pay around 700 dbs for a component to install. So, i am spending about 7200 dbs for a component but my ship cost 10k+ dbs.

I disagree with you on calling the ship your armor.  My feeling is that it is more your character than the little avatar of your captain that you use for swashbuckling and getting missions.  The ship provides your means of moving around the larger map, your fire power for engaging enemies, it provides your protection, and a place for your larger inventory items.

My experience is that it isnt that hard to get gold in the game.  But I can see how losing the higher level ships which cost billions of dbs would set a person back a lot.

Anyway, insurance isnt anything new to MMOGs.  EVE Online uses insurnace and it has a completely free pvp policy.  SWG had insurnace both for equipment and for character (cloning) at one time.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Losing a ship is perfectly acceptable, puts real risk vs reward in your pvp.  We've been dealing with that in EVE for over 4 years now, and while we  have insurance it too only covers part (about 1/2) of the cost.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Epyon529Epyon529 Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Kyleran

Losing a ship is perfectly acceptable, puts real risk vs reward in your pvp.  We've been dealing with that in EVE for over 4 years now, and while we  have insurance it too only covers part (about 1/2) of the cost.
    Thing is, in PotBS the risk >> reward (To those who suck at math this isn't a mistake)

Losing a ship seems no big deal to a pirate because pirate can hijack another ship easily. The 6 gears installed permanently is gone, the general 3 gears will return to your inventory.

Most people thinks it is so easy for a pirate to hijack a new ship, that's true, and this is supposed why people chosen to play pirate.

But, what if I rebuild a ship than hijack? The rebuilt ship went through hell a lot of raw material collections, manufacturing, and huge efforts, time sink to get the best ship you can get from crafting. That ship should have quality to gain durability than just losing it in few seconds. People playing other factions than pirate will not losing their ship in one battle and there are many other methods to rescue your ship so it is too easy to say losing a ship is acceptable.

It is not practical if you craft the best gears and ship just losing it in pvp. This makes pvp price too big to play. And this will prevent player to use their best ship in pvp. So what's the point? I heard people always said Do Not use your best ship in pvp. If this is the logic in the game then I don't think downgrade playing the game would be any fun as same as many unreasonable penalties put on players to downgrade the ability.

• painwalkerpainwalker Member Posts: 11

Losing your ship (with mod;s), I think is a great penatly.  The saying in EVE is don't fly what you can't afford to lose, because eventually it will get  popped.  I would still be playing POTBS for that reason, but I don't like the gameplay.

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

This has got me thinking about spreading the risk into repairs themselves.

FLS could change it so durability points play a much more active role in repair.

For example: if all ship deed duro points were increased by x5 & then make it so every time you use a self repair skill or consumable a durability point was consumed at he same time.

This would spread economic loss or a cost into all repairs themselves without reducing the time you spend doing PvP/PvE.

The economy would thrive by introducing more risk into PvE.

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31100

In my opinion, FLS wants to keep the game in a decent manner, as you may see there are so many penalties put on players so the game is unbeatable, and they don't care what level you are but you won't be able to play the game easily.

And FLS wants to keep PVP in a gentleman way or keeps certain quality. But if player cannot use their best gears in pvp, this type of pvp quality definitely degraded and sooner or later became ganker's game and perhaps even gankers don't ike to gank as well. Because the game force every player become a ganker.