Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is This Game Really That Bad?

I tried a little of this game during OB, but managed to play about 3 hours if it, if that much. Didn´t feel much confident about paying money in advance for a game I had not much clue. I tried the tutorial land battle, and it seemed to me a little confusing. Can´t count what I did on sea as battle.

But I came back to read about this game recently, since VCO is becoming too expensive to me(so much for "forever free"), and found out most people are hating it.

The concept of PotBS always seemed nice to me, altough I always tought the game world were far too limited.

But, bottomline. Can one play this game as an MMO Port Royale 2, meaning, you create your business, make your trades, hunt some NPC´s and get into PvP war when in the mood to? Or even for a most trader player profile like mine the game is still bad?

Comments

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Read the other threads in here.

• The economy is not working as planed
    • PvE players are continually ganked by PvP players

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779

as a friend would put it "define bad" lol

I actualy have no idea if you would find it bad because quite honestly you would have to go play it to find out.  If you played in the ending of the beta that is the game that was released and still exists nothing has been added or changed really other then balancing and a dungeon for those who hit level 50.   Apart from that the game is pretty much what it was in the beta.   I think they added another pirate class, but it has nothing to do with making a business hehe.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Yes, it is that bad.

Tecmo Bowl.

• RogierRogier Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Keogh

The economy is not working as planed
    PvE players are continually ganked by PvP players

Actually it working as intended but  te amount of players needed is underestimated.

As for ganking PVE players is a complete lie this is not possible outside the red circles. Most PVE players are never around red circles (=pvp zone), but if you try cross it (never smart always use the bounderies) then you open pvp on yourself by entering a pvp zone.

But as a pvper you can be ganked everywhere but hell they choose that. Myself i had no problem to evade pvp as pve/pvp player.

But if you want have helpfull comments try to post on the fls forums most on these forums haven any clue.

Originally posted by ummax

as a friend would put it "define bad" lol
    I actualy have no idea if you would find it bad because quite honestly you would have to go play it to find out.  If you played in the ending of the beta that is the game that was released and still exists nothing has been added or changed really other then balancing and a dungeon for those who hit level 50.   Apart from that the game is pretty much what it was in the beta.   I think they added another pirate class, but it has nothing to do with making a business hehe.

Actually it's quite different then in the CB was, but just pickup a trial key and find it out.

• RayRay77RayRay77 Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by Rogier

As for ganking PVE players is a complete lie this is not possible outside the red circles. Most PVE players are never around red circles (=pvp zone), but if you try cross it (never smart always use the bounderies) then you open pvp on yourself by entering a pvp zone.
    But what happens is that you'll have quests to turn in that are in a port surrounded by a red circle. You should never have to open yourself up to being ganked just to turn in PvE quests.

The red cicle system is just a massive failure.

Last time i did mission you DON't HAVE to go there to complete a mission. I just take a other one untill the unrest is dropped then you can continue with that mission. Just remember it's a rvr game means there is a war (red circles) going on it only moves around a lot.

So wait it out till the unrest drops or finished it after the Portbatle even in enemy hands you can finish missions.

• bstrippbstripp Member Posts: 241

In a nutshell, no.  It's not as bad as most of the posters in the forums would have you believe.  Basically, take any glowing praise or cursing hatred on any game forum and try running it through a sanity filter and you might get something close to the truth.

I played from retail for about two months.  My time was enjoyable, but there are some fundamental issues that they are in the process of ironing out.  There is the basis for a really good game there, and I had fun when I played.  However, it wasn't enough fun to keep playing until they add more content and straighten some things out.

You might enjoy it, you might not.  There is a lot to like, and some real problems that the Devs seem to be working on at a pretty decent pace for a MMO.  For me, I'll likely be back in a few months to check out what's changed and see where they've taken it.

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779

I learned awhile back on another forum that shall remain nameless that people become very bitter over time and have issues moving on and letting go.  If someone has been posting about the badness of the game for months on end in every post I would suggest you take it with a grain of salt.  I personally did not like this game and left over an issue of clear cut attempts at trying to get my alts names from the FLS forums by posting bounties and bribes to people so that the person could then take the information and grief me.  So I have a definite dislike for this game.  It does nto mean however my opinion is the end all and be all of opinions and that the game wont improve and that FLS wont learn to deal with issues that they were not prepared to deal with when I left.   LIke any game I keep one eyeball on it in hopes that whatever is wrong with it in the present will be changed in the future.   I hope this is the case here.   Right now the game is lacking in content and the dev team and the company itself is not totally sure how to run an mmorpg.  They wil eventualy learn.   (at least that is the hope.. lol)

If you see glowing 10 star reviews dont believe them.  However if you see someone give a scathing review and can't say anything decent about it dont believet hat either they are probably mad for whatever reason and it should be taken into account.

The only way you will find out if the game is any fun is to try it.  You might enjoy the present game if you are really into pvp you might really like it.   If you are the "artsy fartsy" type its highly likely you wont because there is not a lot of content for that type of person who just wants to sit and craft or explore new lands.   Its supposed to show up eventually.   Like others even though I find the present game not worth playing I hope that the future game might be worth playing and go back every few weeks to the main forums to check things out.   If and when I see there has been enough change to make this game something that I have not tried yet I will be back. 

• MasterPain55MasterPain55 Member Posts: 257

Originally posted by Keogh

The economy is not working as planed
    PvE players are continually ganked by PvP players

Don't listen to the ignorant posters

FLS has said many times that their economy is designed to support 3 areas..... 2 of which aren't in the game yet, and they have also said that the economy IS broken atm because they are missing 2 essentials pieces that the economy was designed for.

The other 2 being Port Governance and Player Housing/Cabin Room

• icarus314icarus314 Member Posts: 8

There are many things I find about the game to be unsatisfactory. 

1) Graphics and repetitive use of the same zones (same city layout and cave)

2) Lengthy amount of time trying to get between points

That said the more I play it, the more addictive I can see it becoming.  It is an original idea as far as MMOs go.

The idea of a cabin or player housing sounds great.

• HandsomeJakkHandsomeJakk Member Posts: 4

I played from launch up until recently, I quit because I got bored. I'd levelled up to 50, done a fair amount of the quests and pvp'ed quite a bit, I just found the lack of pirate end game completely lacking. There was no way pirates were going to ever get a map win under current rules and there wasn't a way for them to ever get the underdog tools either, so a lose lose RvR situation had developed. The Pirate class was hotly debated on the FLS forums as being over or underpowered. The community itself there and on that game as a whole has changed from the launchtime easy going comraderie to a spastic collection of pessimists and naysayers with few exceptions (they do exist to be sure). So to answer the OP, No the game's ok, it's the community there that sucks the worst.

Once a Pirate King

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

I am still trying to be able to playing this game in a right way but the result don't  look promising. This game is challenge a human nature's patience and maximum tolerance.

1. 80% of my sailings were upwind. It doesn't mean I was unlucky but the wind is too strong and influence the sail speed greatly. So I log out and log back then sometimes, it is pain to sail against the wind, not to mention it will be contained any fun of it. 

2. Every crafting have long cool down time and the quantity is limited as well. The game have changed the crafting into application. 

It means you need to have minimum relationship with smuggling union to build a warehouse on their land. Then, you need to build relevant structure then you need to have recipe. Now, you are applying the items from the game. Because there is no crafting actually because every craft is based on paper work. You don't see mining or do fishing by yourself, it's just a click.

So crafting in this game means you apply the item from the game and that is why you have cold down time and quantity limited.

3. Many quests are nearly the same, ok, we need grindings. But the quest background still the same makes the grind too boring.

4. Pirates only have 1 durability on ship and this makes me sad about it. I do not know if the crafted ship still have only 1 durability or not but I reckon. This will make people hesitate to build their own ship. If you don't count pirate as a reasonable faction to play in the game, then it's fine.

5. My suspicion about pvp zone could be controlled by the game. There might be some employee constantly created pvp zone assigned by the game. Because there is not many spanish players but you still can see spanish got unrest point.

6. This game is not role playing game because your character does not act so importantly in the gameplay. Most of the time is your ship and your crews and too many AI control than player able to control.

7. POTBS is not a game for soloer or casual player.

8. Rubber band in the game, it has been going on for long time and stlll not fix.

9, Takes too long time to travel between 2 points. Time is money, man. It is not the smart way to spend money just sitting in front of you computer to control your ship to another point for none good reason you would do that.

10. Skill tree has too many junks and too many skills are repeated in different trees.

11, No matter what level you are, the game automatically change the difficulty level even when you playing  low level quest. So it makes role development useless in the game. Only development is reputation with certain faction.

12. Completed quests still respawned in the questbook from time to time so it is not possbile to advanced to next stage. 

13. There are too many cold down time in the game so you paid full money but only able to play 1/3 of the game because of cold down time.

14. You can play only one faction on one server but your other characters in the same faction not able to share resources between all of your characters.

15. Penalty always happened when you enter into combat mode. There is no reason for player to take such penalty just because the game expected for balance.

16. Same villages with same layout no matter what faction you play.

I think it is enough to list just part of my opinion.