Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Players being hit hard for AoC's bugs

Comments

• euangelioneuangelion Member Posts: 109

Not a troll, just wanted to get people oppinion from MMORPG... shouldn't have even tried though with the crowd here. Not trying to promote exploiting, let people get away with it, or anything like that. I just think that banning people in the first few weeks of play is a poor idea on Funcoms part especially with the numerous exploits in the game. I've done a ton of betas and taken characters to level cap in 12 MMOs without exploits or ebaying... I like a challenge but I also always keep my mind on the fact that it's just a game created for entertainment purposes so it shouldn't be taken seriously.

Tried: Vanguard, UO, Rappelz, Archlord, RF Online, SWG, WAR, Ryzom, Anarchy Online, AC, APB, STO, Perfect World, Black Prophecy...

Played: EQ,EQII, Lineage, Lineage 2, GW, EVE Online, AoC, DoAC, iRO, AC2, WoW, SWTOR, Runes of Magic, Allods, Rift..
    Currently Playing: Tera

I realize it's a business, I'm actually in a similar industry. However it's not very customer friendly to ban people for taking advantage of your mistakes... better to thank them for finding the bug and take the items that were a part of the bug.  However if the were playing just to make RL money off ebay with the exploits that's a different story.

Tried: Vanguard, UO, Rappelz, Archlord, RF Online, SWG, WAR, Ryzom, Anarchy Online, AC, APB, STO, Perfect World, Black Prophecy...

Played: EQ,EQII, Lineage, Lineage 2, GW, EVE Online, AoC, DoAC, iRO, AC2, WoW, SWTOR, Runes of Magic, Allods, Rift..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

Find an exploit, report it, no harm done, all is fine.

Find an exploit, NOT report it and abuse it so you gain an unfair advantage over other players. Not fine. Ciao. Byebye and good riddance.*shrug* It might be just a game, but they are ruining the game for others by doing that kind of thing. You want to allow that?

Agreed, if it was a few months after launch. But to do it in the first week or two... everything is still getting settled, they are still adjusting drops, xp, fixing bugs etc... not really the time in my mind. But oh well, I got your opinions, thanks guys.

• I didn't bother to cast a vote on this thread because it is foolish to me. What have we come to where we make an agreement and then go out of our way to cheat and break our word to gain for ourselves. By God man you even have to waste our time with this post. Ban... and ban. It will give me great respect for Funcom to kick them out period. 

I can understand if they found an exploit and said wait...did that just happen. Then they tried it again and yes it DID happen. The honest and decent thing to do would be to report it. Taking advantage of it is low and pathetic. Feel happy for your guild that they didn't  get banned. I would have kicked them out.

The guild mates who did not partake I feel sorry for, but for the cheaters, the weak, the PvP fodder good riddance to your feaux success. You got what you deserved.

Next thing I know you will be telling me you are in Ebonlore. God I hoped Ewle curled up and died in a scary place when she was kicked out of Hate for being such a pathetic player. Not to mention for gaining fame for being publicly banned from Emarr. What a <fill in blank>. Sorry I started to rant. Old EQ days...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I've only read the original message so my answer is towards the OP. Yes, ban the offenders is the best course of action. Just because the exploit is there, doesn't mean that the offenders were justified to use it. No matter how you look at it, its a ban-able offence and the game will be better off without these people.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

For all the "it's just a game" sentiments; they aren't being prosecuted by a real court, they're just being banned by customer service of the game. So no one, including Funcom is treating the situation like its any more "real" than it needs to be.

If the ones exploiting it were so lighthearted in commiting the act, why heavyhearted over the consequences? If casually exploiting was a minute thought and of no real malicious purpose or design, then their banning should be treated as a minute-thought as well. Fair enough, ain't it? 

Besides, I doubt the exploiters themselves can cite down to the exact copper exactly how much currency they reaped from an exploit. Why expect Funcom to show careful consideration to which items and what amount of gold was legitimately earned when the exploiters themselves didn't?

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

I'm surprised at all the animosity towards players for using a bug as an exploit.

I could understand if it was a hack or a cheat, but if it's a bug that Funcom didn't catch, that's they're problem.  They shouldn't ban people for taking advantage of a problem they created.

They should just suck it up and fix it.  Sure clear out guild banks or something like that, but banning is way too drastic if the players aren't using hacks.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• Checkthis500,

Exploits are an offense they can ban for. I think that taking their banks was a fair compromise...although I would have banned. I have a low tolerance for that.

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581
    Originally posted by Darth_Pete

Exploiting little is still exploiting. Cheaters need to get banned if they knew it was bug and still used it.

• RobotixRobotix Member Posts: 37

some of the best news i have been reading here so far... hope your friends get banned... they cheated and there is absolut no excuse for this.. the more cheaters they catch the better for the game...

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

You keep saying "It's a game."

If it's just a game, why are you sitting here griping and arguing about it?

Hypocrite.

• LeemegLeemeg Member UncommonPosts: 230

Agrees with the people saying this is the best news around. They ban and revoke gold, and trace and revoke gold...That's the only way they can do it. If you ask me, cheaters shouldn't get a second chance. We don't need them in the game, and I don't want them in the game.

What I think its the strangest part, is that cheaters thinks they can defend their case saying since the bug is in the game, it is allowed to use them. That's like saying I didn't shoot that person, the gun did!

--
    Leemeg.

• mylin1mylin1 Member UncommonPosts: 138

Its also nice to see they can trace the gold trail, maybe that will enable them to bash the farmers as well as anyone who cheats..

yeah at the end of the day - they cheated, they got the punishment funcom decided they deserved, /shrug hard to argue with that.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by euangelion

Have you guys been hearing about the investigations going on? The latest exploit with money farming bug on items has it's own investigation team... They've already fixed the bug and wiped out entire guild banks and player banks, now they are looking into banning those involved for simply taking advantage of game play mechanic bugs that shipped with release. Sounds to me more like they think they are protecting RL laws or something rather then fixing and balancing a game. Twelve of my WoW friends moved over there and took advantage of the money exploit while it lasted, they had their guild bank emptied... which only half was from exploit, their personal bank emptied, all of their buddy list investigated, their accounts down for investigation, and emails from funcom that they may be banned. Talk about harsh. However after all of this I'm still watching and waiting to see if everything clears up and then I'll play.

*yes I know it's all one paragraph, yes I know I prob had spelling errors, and yes I know I have grammatical errors... I'm an engineer not a writer ;)
    Don't worry about it Euangelion, cause it's just a game , besides everyone knows that using exploits will have conseqence, i don't know any type of player who might have mistaken such exploit with something the game had to offer, there for it's just silly if people pursuit it anyway, and yes afcourse they should be punished and looked after, after all it's a game shared with hunders of other people, if it was a singleplayer game i would have understand you making a topic, but when it comes to a game that could effect allot more people then just one then punishment should be commited towards those who use exploits.

Oh and exploits aren't created for the game, they are mostly messedup code, unintentionally placed into the game.

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

This is a time where I wished MMO companies had a list that could be shared and easily accessible amongst them.  Exploiters could be possibly stopped from ruining other games with their destructive ways.

*mumbles at the exploiters for being the cause of delaying his bank usage*

Anyhow.  Congratulations to Funcom for getting rid of some exploiters at least.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• TsukieUTsukieU Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by euangelion

Have you guys been hearing about the investigations going on? The latest exploit with money farming bug on items has it's own investigation team... They've already fixed the bug and wiped out entire guild banks and player banks, now they are looking into banning those involved for simply taking advantage of game play mechanic bugs that shipped with release. Sounds to me more like they think they are protecting RL laws or something rather then fixing and balancing a game. Twelve of my WoW friends moved over there and took advantage of the money exploit while it lasted, they had their guild bank emptied... which only half was from exploit, their personal bank emptied, all of their buddy list investigated, their accounts down for investigation, and emails from funcom that they may be banned. Talk about harsh. However after all of this I'm still watching and waiting to see if everything clears up and then I'll play.

*yes I know it's all one paragraph, yes I know I prob had spelling errors, and yes I know I have grammatical errors... I'm an engineer not a writer ;)

You broke the rules, knowing full well what you were doing was wrong.  You got caught.  You got punished, I fail to see the point to this poll.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.

• DaedroDaedro Member Posts: 44

Here's an idea: don't exploit.

Look up the word exploit. Purposely cheating the system.

• KirinShadowKirinShadow Member Posts: 50

When playing games of any sort,one person cheating takes away the fun for the players who are playing honestly. This applies on an exponentially larger scale for an MMORPG, where you have economies and a social structure that are all intermingling around the game environment, its rules, and the people in it.

That said, I see no reason why nuking all gold/bank stuff from an account that was exploiting to get gold is unreasonable. The damage is (at least somewhat) undone by this, and the player has a good kick in the butt to play fairly. Banning this early almost doesn't make sense, but at the same time, a few nooses at the gate keep the shady people honest far better when they're occupied, speaking figuratively.

I really think Funcom's primary aim was to make an example and try to ensure a fun, unbroken environment for the players who are willing to follow the rules (which is the very basic nature of any game, right?)

edited to fix grammar stuff. It's late.

--------------------------
    Society: Reaching new lows every day.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

people should be banned, provided they were aware it was a bug they were exploiting. For some bugs this may be obvious, for others more obscure however...

•  

Originally posted by Galadourn

people should be banned, provided they were aware it was a bug they were exploiting. For some bugs this may be obvious, for others more obscure however...

Don't kid yourself.

If I am getting an amount of gold that doesn't quite fit with what I have experienced before...I know it is an exploit. Problem is now we have the television market upon our shoulders. I want it, I want it now. Sneak steal get it anyway you can. Sad state of affairs. If you are here you know if you are cheating.

Let me ask you this.......if you didn't find an obscene amount of gold or experience would you go back and kill ten flibbers again. I would hope not, move on. Your argument has no value here.

Just think...in a few weeks all the schools would have been let out and even more players. Funcom has released to make the most money.....I just hope for me...after following game for a couple years...they don't let me down.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Cheating is bad.  Didn't your mommy or daddy ever teach you this.  Sheesh.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

OP, every hear of the old saying, "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is"?   Sorry, but they brought on themselves.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."