Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There are supposed to be few safe areas in LOTR

I've read all of the books. Heck I've even read The Silmarillion. In other words I know the lore of LOTR. The main thing I find strange in LOTRO is the fact that I feel safe everywhere I go. It's a fun game, but I've always pictured Middle Earth as a magnificent place with many dangers. People in Middle Earth don't just freely roam around anywhere. Whenever you leave a city, a "safe zone" anything can happen to you. Even these so called "safe zones" can be sieged. You can get captured by orcs, follow the wrong path and get stuck in a dangerous and frightening place. Your main hope is that a group of elves, or men will find you and save you. This is what I really find lacking in LOTRO. I'm not asking for free for all pvp. I just want to feel like I'm in danger whenever I venture out into the unknown. One way to do this is to make orcs patrol areas in several large groups, and routinely attack towns and cities. Another viable way to accomplish a feeling of danger is to make orcs a playable character. I support option 1, because a Middle Earth with just ganking is boring, but a Middle Earth with battles and adventure is incredible.

Replies are greatly appreciated

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.
-Will Rogers

Comments

• tfox2k1tfox2k1 Member Posts: 215

Wrong game.   Keep the gank fest to AoC or some other MMO full of 14 year olds.

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

If you know the lore so well then you would lknow that most of eriador is pretty well safe. There was not alot of danger in this region of middle earth. The rangers kept the shire safe when they were about. Still you didn't have gangs of orcs roaming the country side sieging  the villages or towns.

From what we read in the first book of FOTR there is not much danger outside of the raingwraiths chasing the ring. Now when we get to the second book of FOTR and the fellowship heads to moria we start to see more danger. That continues to increas and grow as the venture forward.

Things will change as the game grows and follows the books. But eriador will never be the place were bands of orcs roam around killing everything.

As far as us venturing around. We are not the average normal middle earth person. We are heros and what joe smo the merchant finds threatening wouldn't be so to us. What you are seeking in danger will increase as the game moves east. IMO anyway.

imageimage

• ThaneBThaneB Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by Grindalyx

If you know the lore so well then you would lknow that most of eriador is pretty well safe. There was not alot of danger in this region of middle earth. The rangers kept the shire safe when they were about. Still you didn't have gangs of orcs roaming the country side sieging  the villages or towns.
    From what we read in the first book of FOTR there is not much danger outside of the raingwraiths chasing the ring. Now when we get to the second book of FOTR and the fellowship heads to moria we start to see more danger. That continues to increas and grow as the venture forward.
    Things will change as the game grows and follows the books. But eriador will never be the place were bands of orcs roam around killing everything.
    As far as us venturing around. We are not the average normal middle earth person. We are heros and what joe smo the merchant finds threatening wouldn't be so to us. What you are seeking in danger will increase as the game moves east. IMO anyway.

I  understand what you are saying., and it puts another issue with lotro in the discussion LOTRO thus far only represents a small part of Middle Earth. We'll see how they handle the "danger" aspect with the expansion coming up. If I feel the same safe feeling in Moria this game will not live up to the lore.

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.
    -Will Rogers

Originally posted by tfox2k1

Wrong game.   Keep the gank fest to AoC or some other MMO full of 14 year olds.

Read my post genius I specifically said that ganking is boring.

-Will Rogers

Originally posted by ThaneB

I  understand what you are saying., and it puts another issue with lotro in the discussion LOTRO thus far only represents a small part of Middle Earth. We'll see how they handle the "danger" aspect with the expansion coming up. If I feel the same safe feeling in Moria this game will not live up to the lore.

Fair enough. I agree with you. Moria should be a dark and forboding place. A place you don't feel safe in. I would expect nothing less from moria or mirkwood for that matter. I picture moria like the goblin town caves but more dangerous. Not looking like the goblin caves but mob wise. If a person is careful they can make their way thru the goblin caves, they can't just zerg in and get were they are going or want to go. I see eriador and the regions in the game like the calm before the storm. We are getting ready to plunge into the storm in moria.

imageimage

Fair enough. I agree with you. Moria should be a dark and forboding place. A place you don't feel safe in. I would expect nothing less from moria or mirkwood for that matter. I picture moria like the goblin town caves but more dangerous. Not looking like the goblin caves but mob wise. If a person is careful they can make their way thru the goblin caves, they can't just zerg in and get were they are going or want to go. I see eriador and the regions in the game like the calm before the storm. We are getting ready to plunge into the storm in moria.

I just read up on the Mines of Moria expansion. They definitely do understand that we need to feel in danger while in Moria. For instance monsters can jump out of shadows and water. You can't teleport out of Moria either.

I will definitely return to lotro when Mines of Moria comes out.

-Will Rogers

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Originally posted by solareus

dude by the time you reach Mt. Doom you will be crying it is to hard and no whereis safe lol . LEts enjoy the peace while we can before we have to march into the fiercest battle to ever be played in any mmorpg lol

lol , the feeling of danger is fun and exciting. Who can get tired of having fun lol?

-Will Rogers

dude by the time you reach Mt. Doom you will be crying it is to hard and no whereis safe lol . LEts enjoy the peace while we can before we have to march into the fiercest battle to ever be played in any mmorpg lol

lol , the feeling of danger is fun and exciting. Who can get tired of having fun lol?

To some people it is fun and exciting. To others it is stressful and not the reason they play games. Everyone is differant. What one sees as fun others see as unfun.

I like a little danger now and then. But i also like to control when that danger is involved in my game play. That is my main dislike of PVP, i don't like having to look over my shoulder when i am trying to do a quests. That doesn't meen that i don't PVP. I do it when i feel like it. and i hate it when it is forced upon me.

I am looking forward to mines of moria and see how they handle it. I expect it to be a dangerous place that has just been shooked up by the death of the balrog and the passing of the fellowship.

imageimage

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

I'll chime in with the time-line theme too. Turbine is taking a new design philosophy with LOTRO. Every other game plops you down and says "here's the whole game, this is it." You adventure, level up, dungeons, raids, but everything has been set before you from the first moment. LOTRO is following a story, and the world we play in (for now Eriador) is set in a certain time period when Eriador pretty much had no idea war was imminent and Sauron is approaching. The consequence of that is people whine that it's too boring, we're just glorified Pest Control running around killing boars and bears for 50 levels. Hopefully with each expansion and we get closer to the forces of Mordor (and they get closer to us) the level of danger will increase.

I'll not be happy to be outside the Black Gates and get a quest to kill 10 of Sauron's corrupted bears...

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

I have a great feeling that Mine of Moria will basically blow our minds and we will truely see how Turbine is going to take us for a ride ...
    For me that would need full class and combat overhaul. Tried LOTRO when the "welcome back" was on and played it about 5 hours over the weekend. After six months still nothing really new and fun. Yeah fishing and barber was in and the new Forochel(?) area but nothing meaningful for level 50 there.

I'm guessing it's great game for RPers but not for me really.

Originally posted by Darth_Pete

I have a great feeling that Mine of Moria will basically blow our minds and we will truely see how Turbine is going to take us for a ride ...
    For me that would need full class and combat overhaul. Tried LOTRO when the "welcome back" was on and played it about 5 hours over the weekend. After six months still nothing really new and fun. Yeah fishing and barber was in and the new Forochel(?) area but nothing meaningful for level 50 there.

You know i am willing to bet that Mines of moria is going to blow away all other games in end game content. Think about it. are getting a expansion that is all for lvl 50 to 60. The area of moria i would bet is going to be close to the size of what eriador was when the game launched. Now that is end game content. No sharing this expansion with the low lvls. It is all aimed at 50 to 60.

I don't know what people want in a combat system. If you make it to hard the casual players will complain it is to hard, if it is to boring the hardcore players complain. I personally like the combat system in the game. Besides look at the games that have reworked combat systems and how that faired for them.

imageimage

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by Darth_Pete

I'm not an RPer and I love this game. I guess it's for somebody, but probably not for you. That's quite alright. No MMO can be for everybody.

I think that LOTRO has an adaquate danger factor, appropriate to the levels of the zone. When I was 13 - 16 or so, Breeland required care in certain places. Now that I'm 50, it doesn't, but then again, I did all those quests to rid Breeland of much of the danger, so it makes sense that when I'm back in Breeland, things aren't so tense. But hang out in Angmar? Yeah, I have to watch myself.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

Misty Mountains has put a hurt on me a few times so far.... I thought I could venture into goblin town solo... big mistake

If you're 50, and careful, you can get around to some of the places in Goblin Town. But I hear you about soloing there. It's a challenge. And that's what's cool about it, because a group of 3 or 4 much less a full group will be overpowered, but solo or duo offers a nice challenge for the level cap folks.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com