Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer models

DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

So I started and finished a Be'Lakor model today (assembly was completed months ago)

I was going to take more time on him but I was informed of a local painting competition (at A-1 comics where I buy my models) and upon seeing the other entries (not really great), I decided that I would finish my model quickly since the deadline was only a few days away...I wound up painting the entire model in what essentially amounted to one sitting (all told about 5 hours) There are still a few touch ups that I want to do, but the basic model is complete.

I don't actually play Warhammer (I do, however, play 40k, and have a large Space Marine army) but I fell in love with this model when I first saw him, he's like a Blood Thirster without the big stupid looking axe.

Here is a shot of him...I would still like to do some skin texturing, and of course some touch ups are needed before I enter him on Tuesday.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Comments

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

nice, let us know if you win the competition.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

damn thats pretty freaking tight!

can I see the space marines one? :P

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Nice work with the  wash on the chain loincloth, shading looks good. I always had trouble with the shading, just getting the right color mix for that special touch.....

I can't see the skulls on the wings to tell if you used a light grey wash on them, they shouldn't be too white to kinda give them that "we've been around a bit" flavor.

I also like the mouth/teeth, looks like a wash for emphasis there.

Shading on the legs and toes, or a wash, to emphasize the muscles might be a nice feature.

Hard to tell alot, a picture really doesn't capture all the details just right. Still, it looks to be a very good job, should be very competitive, good luck in the competition.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Yeah it's not bad, the only problem is there is too much reflection from the light so it's hard to see the detail on some of the feartures. I would like to see the torso a bit better.

But good paint job from what I can see, with a few more touch-ups it will look even better.

O_o o_O

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Originally posted by olddaddy

Nice work with the  wash on the chain loincloth, shading looks good. I always had trouble with the shading, just getting the right color mix for that special touch.....
    I can't see the skulls on the wings to tell if you used a light grey wash on them, they shouldn't be too white to kinda give them that "we've been around a bit" flavor.
    I also like the mouth/teeth, looks like a wash for emphasis there.
    Shading on the legs and toes, or a wash, to emphasize the muscles might be a nice feature.
    Hard to tell alot, a picture really doesn't capture all the details just right. Still, it looks to be a very good job, should be very competitive, good luck in the competition.

Good eye...I had planned on doing some work with the musculature today, I agree that it looks too uniform right now.

This is a portion of my Space Marine army...it's slight larger now (Land Raider added)

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Wow, nice job. Good luck on the contest

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

That looks pretty sweet Draenor.  Should be right up there in the competition. Good luck.

Here's a little tip for the skulls from my undead army collecting days (collected Chaos also).  I used no white (except for the undercoat) on my skeletons at all.  What i did was use a flesh wash first then dry brushed bleached bone on top of that.  Then highlight if necessary. 

Originally posted by Flem

That looks pretty sweet Draenor.  Should be right up there in the competition. Good luck.
    Here's a little tip for the skulls from my undead army collecting days (collected Chaos also).  I used no white (except for the undercoat) on my skeletons at all.  What i did was use a flesh wash first then dry brushed bleached bone on top of that.  Then highlight if necessary. 

I don't use any white either, I do about four different shades of brown to build it up, and then I do a final pass over with kommodo kakhi and a touch of bleached bone, I'm pretty happy with the way these ones came out.

Here's a shot of my army with the land raider in it...I plan on buying two more tactical squads next (massive amounts of troops can kill my army in games because I have so few troops) hopefully I'll get the money from this contest and buy those squads with that, we'll see what happens :)

Oh and there is one of my Terminator Chaplain and the squad that I field him with as well, that squad costs a little over 300 points to field but it's absolutely nasty in Melee combat...rerolled hits twice, and wounds with a possible four attacks on a charge...it's nasty.

Picture007.jpg picture by Joe6305

Picture009.jpg picture by Joe6305

Another little tip that might save you time on all those bases. (one part i hated was painting the bases)

What i did was lay out all the bases together before glueing the models on them and undercoating them using a spray can, then again using a spray can (goblin green for example comes in spray form) i painted them all at once.  Then flocked them later once the models were stuck on and painted.

Originally posted by Flem

Another little tip that might save you time on all those bases. (one part i hated was painting the bases)
    What i did was lay out all the bases together before glueing the models on them and undercoating them using a spray can, then again using a spray can (goblin green for example comes in spray form) i painted them all at once.  Then flocked them later once the models were stuck on and painted.

Yeah, single basing all of them would be a huge pain, but since I do use these models for playing, I don't plan on basing most of them, maybe a few of the nicer ones like my Terminator Chaplain.,,I just don't want to see the stuff falling off of them while i move them around a table top or store them in their boxes.

• wyvexwyvex Member UncommonPosts: 346

i dont ever do this but im doing it anyway. my lucius the eternal i painted several months agoimg262/8216/luciustheeternal1hm0.jpg

• Draenor! I had no idea you played 40k, how long have you been doing it?

Nice job on the Lucious the Eternal model, I've always liked the way he looks but generally shy away from painting the face of anything resembling a human, kudos to you!

Sawtooth, I've only been playing for the last few months, I've owned the models for years now, but only started to play the game this year when I saw that a guy in my dorms played as well.

Tau are overpowered :)

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Originally posted by Draenor

Depends.. I collected Tau back in the days and they freakin SUCK at close-combat.  Tyranids was a pain in the ass

Anyway, get in close-combat with a Terminator or two and all your problems should be solved.  Unless they've changed the Tau the last 3 years.

Originally posted by Aragoni

Originally posted by Draenor

Depends.. I collected Tau back in the days and they freakin SUCK at close-combat.  Tyranids was a pain in the ass

Anyway, get in close-combat with a Terminator or two and all your problems should be solved.  Unless they've changed the Tau the last 3 years.

When their standard troop can shoot four feet, their tank can shoot 72 inches, and is a skimmer with 13 front armor, and their crisis suits can bring a crap load of shield drones, it's very difficult to get into melee combat, especially for space marines...exacerbating this is the fact that space marines are generally few in number because of their high point cost...it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that the Tau units cost very little for what they are...a Hammerhead's base cost is just barely more than a predator, but it's a vastly superior tank in every way.

I submitted the model today though, I'll find out if I win on the 31st...but I looked at the new submissions and there was a Grey Knight Terminator that looked pretty good, I still think mine was the better model though...the guy who took my model said something funny when he saw it though, he took one look at it and went "oh...delicious!"

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Great job on the model Draenor, good luck on the contest. 

Wyvex, yours looks great as well. I think I would loose paitence trying to paint something like that.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

Great job on the model Draenor, good luck on the contest. 
    Wyvex, yours looks great as well. I think I would loose paitence trying to paint something like that.

It's extremely tempting sometimes with a model that you've been working on for weeks to just say "F it" and slather the model in paint, abandoning all of the careful precision that you've painted with for hours on end...I've done it with a model or two myself, it's especially easy to do it with tanks.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

40k taught me a valuable lesson about paint: Don't let anyone else use it. My brother dried out 40 odd things of paint while doing his Chaos marines and I haven't been able to paint since. I really need to get some more and start painting more Tyranids, it's been ages since I've done it. I had just started to get into the stride of things when I started having other engagements, so most of mine are questionably done or simply unfinished. Geez.. gonna have to get a second job to be able to spring for all that paint.. that stuff ain't cheap.

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

What would you guys recommend for somebody who has never painted Warhammer, or any sort of model before?  Should I buy one of the cheaper starter kits from Games Workshop website?  They include a few small models and a few paints to begin with.

Originally posted by Lanmoragon

What would you guys recommend for somebody who has never painted Warhammer, or any sort of model before?  Should I buy one of the cheaper starter kits from Games Workshop website?  They include a few small models and a few paints to begin with.
    Are you interested in 40k or regular Warhammer?  If you are interested in 40k then I would say that the Battle for Maccrage  hobby set would be a good place for you to start..it includes a basic rule book, some paint, tape measure, dice, and a few space marine and tyranid models to get your feet wet with, and it doesn't cost very much for what you get.

If you're interested in regular warhammer then I'm not sure if I can help you, I only play 40k and don't visit the Warhammer section but to look for new cool models to paint.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

That looks really, really good, I'm impressed.

Wish I could make things like that. I have never been very good with creative stuff.

Originally posted by Lanmoragon

Buy one of the paint sets as it includes some models, paints and a guide on how to get started. Also start getting the White Dwarf magazine as there are always painting tips in them.

So I ended up getting second place...I got marked down because there was some streaking on the model..probably a result of the model's size and me painting him in one sitting...oh well...I got some free models for it so I'm cool with it :)

Well done Draenor.  Second place is pretty damn good considering there must of been quite a few entries.

Well this was no Golden Demon awards or anything like that, it's certainly not like I was going against the Eavy Metal team, but yeah there were a fair number of entries (I counted around 30 or so in the display case)