Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

>Poll< Cartoon or Realistic Graphics?

Quite simple. Just curious about what people want.

I personally prefer the cartoon graphics. I don't know why, that's just me.

Feel free to give your reasons.

Comments

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

I love the look of LOTRO, not sure which category that falls under

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

It doesn't matter to me as long as its accessible by folks on wide ranging PC set ups (low end to high end). I find it strange folks will go out before a new game is released and spend hundreds, heck sometimes thousands, of dollars to play a $50 game.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

Where's the option for "It doesn't matter as long the gameplay is fun"

• onlinenow225onlinenow225 Member Posts: 381

Give me some sort of animated/art/cartoon stryle of graphics over real life ones any day. 

I live in the real world, if i want to see real looking people, and real looking grass and trees ill go to the park.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

It depends. If you think of Oblivion or Morrowind, the kind of game that is and the kind of feeling they try to get - cartoonish graphics wouldn't be appropiate. In that respect, that would be more along the lines of my kind of mmo. WoW for me, while it had a very well-done style to the game it detracted a bit from the experience that I may have had in another mmo with non-'cartoonish' graphics.

(I would have said cartoon graphics don't work for rpgs but I would be wrong, as things like WoW, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest or even Final Fantasy prove they do.)

Incidentally, while I'm not a fan of 'cartoonish' graphics, it doesn't follow that I'm necessarily in the 'realistic' camp. There are certain styles which can be neither 'cartoonish' or 'realistic'. A good fantasy style like.

This question can be asked in the way of fps', what is your graphic preference of fps? Counterstrike style graphics? or TF2 style graphics? Both seek to provide a different experience, counterstrike goes for more realism, and TF2 goes for a more light-hearted fun style.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

it depends on the lore and the basic ideals behind the game.

a super hero game would look much better with cartoony graphics than realistic.

if this is about WAR and AoC then consider the lore.

WAR is seen through miniatures and books and cartoons.  the art is not really realistic, its very colourful so cartoony would be perfect.

Conan is brutal and a bloody world.  cartoony graphics would just ruin the lore.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• MaliviusMalivius Member Posts: 114

Personally, I'm waiting for one of the big name companies currently developing games to give us a graphic style similar to the one used in Star Wars: Clone Wars. 

Until then, I'm not too picky as long as I don't feel like I'm playing something designed by Disney (too cartoony) or something that hits the uncanny valley (too realistic).

• leowyattleowyatt Member Posts: 129

Bioshock... that's what comes to mind when I think of the grapics style I like to see. 

Bioshock mmo... hmmm

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

Depends on what you mean by "cartoon"... if you mean those kiddie games like Ragnarok/MapleStory, then no thanks.

But also dislike realistic games.

Senhores da Guerra

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I can't stand cartoon graphics at all.They couldn't pay me to play there game if there gonna use cheap ass cartoon graphics.Hmm i think  i was quite straight forward with that answer.

I get tons of emails from gaming sites trying to get me to play there games and i would say 90% are of the cartoon graphics.Those emails i delete instantly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bachanambachanam Member Posts: 335

I think some people are confusing the question.

Imagine a game is perfect in content, mechanics, and customer service rofl, the perfect game, if it was up to you, AND YOU HAD TO CHOOSE, would you pick cartoony graphics or realistic graphics?

I chose realistic graphics. I'm a PC gamer, always will be. Video settings are permanently embedded in  my brain.

"Sometimes, things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are basically good. Honor, courage, virtue mean everything. Power and money, money and power mean nothing. Good always triumphs over evil. Love, True Love Never Dies."
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

• DeadlyMageDeadlyMage Member Posts: 543

as long as its made well i really don't care

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Neither; cause graphics will never "make or break" a game for me!  Its all about how much content the game has.  Is there a good story to follow.  Are the systems and menus and everything else making the game run all working properly.

• krezzinkrezzin Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by gath

Depends on what you mean by "cartoon"... if you mean those kiddie games like Ragnarok/MapleStory, then no thanks.
    But also dislike realistic games.

/agree

It seems to me even when companies try to make realistic looking games, they really don't look all that real and the bugs that generally plague those games stand out far more.. just my opinion.

All in all i have to agree with the above posters, as long as a game is well made and has a good story behind it, anything is playable

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

To me the quality of the work is more important than the artistic style. Also, for me, the gameplay is far more important than how modern the graphics are.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• HumbleHoboHumbleHobo Member Posts: 116

Well, this was my bad because I wasn't specific at all, and forgot to provide an option of "Don't care/Neither"

I suppose what I meant by 'cartoon' was World of Warcraft, not toddler Disney fantasy.

But in retrospect, it does depend a LOT on the game, and it is by no means the most important factor (although it IS the #1 way to generate pre-release hype).

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

Originally posted by HumbleHobo

Well, this was my bad because I wasn't specific at all, and forgot to provide an option of "Don't care/Neither"
    I suppose what I meant by 'cartoon' was World of Warcraft, not toddler Disney fantasy.
    But in retrospect, it does depend a LOT on the game, and it is by no means the most important factor (although it IS the #1 way to generate pre-release hype).

Imo "stylized" would be much better than "cartoon". Although this can get quite blurry - Guild Wars is kinda realistic-like but I've never seen people built like that in RL. Hmm...

• TecknicTecknic Member Posts: 458

I have to agree with, well, just about everyone.  If a game is enjoyable to play and the graphical style doesn't pull me out of the game experience, then I don't think that I'm going to have a problem with it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Playing: Nothing
    Played: Champions Online, CoX, STO, PSO, WoW, lots of free-to-play crap
    Looking Forward To: DC Universe Online, Blade and Soul

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Somewhere in between, not too cartoonish, not too realistic.  This is assuming that the rest of the game is good, of course.  If it's not, who cares about the graphics?

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I want stylized, well directed, and consistant graphics.   being cartoon or fake real doesn't mean much since you'll lose yourself in them after 10 mins or so no matter how good or bad the game is.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

I like realistic graphics, but no one has really been able to make realistic graphics in an mmo.  Some say they do but they are more cartoony looking then normal.  If it isn't realistic then I prefer one with a good cohesive art direction.

• MylonMylon Member Posts: 975

Cartoon = easy to render, readily accessible. Easy to create, relatively cheap (and more money to spend on game design/debugging, or at least so in theory).

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by HumbleHobo

Quite simple. Just curious about what people want.
    I personally prefer the cartoon graphics. I don't know why, that's just me.
    Feel free to give your reasons.
    Totaly depence on what type of lore the game uses or IP.

• zalvajezalvaje Member Posts: 38

I prefer the combination of this two.....

• VansinneVansinne Member Posts: 212

For me it depends on the game lore and gameplay. AoC with Happy Tree Friends gfx is kinda.. funny when I think about it