Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO Free to play???

uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225

Should UO go with a Free to play or  have a free / limited use server , would you play again? ( not talking about player illegal ones either) , post why or why not..

Comments

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Uo would be perfect for an item shop game or free to play with additional features you pay for like housing and other pixel crack. Has been proposed a few times, but I guess EA rather wants it to die like sims online.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

I still wouldn't play.  Too much of the gameplay, beyond the whole PK/PVP deal, has been changed to the point where the official game isn't any fun.  Pop up an official server that has the ruleset from any time prior to the AoS expansion and I'd consider paying for the game again.  Everything from AoS on has been downhill.  I don't want to play UO with elves, ninja, or artifacts.  I don't care if it has the pre Trammel/Felluca split rules.  The gameplay changes, from the AoS expansion on, have made UO a game I'm not interested in playing.

Unfortunately, the current developers think going forward is somehow a better path than even considering a pre-AoS server.  The Seige Perilous server is currently just a post AoS server with some rule changes, ones that don't come anywhere near the intention of making it feel like the launch version of the game.  SP isn't an acceptable substitute for what the vast majority of the folks who keep asking for a pre Trammel ruleset server want.

If I want to play a bad game for free, there are plenty of free to play games available.  Many of them are better than UO currently is, and that doesn't make them good games by any stretch.

• StakexStakex Member Posts: 31

Well as a current UO subscriber (account 101 months old) Id say that there should be no "free to play" servers or anything like that... as there is no bussiness sense behind it, and its really unfair to thoes who have paid for the game all these years. 

Also, UO would be a terrible game for a system where you only pay real money for ingame items, perks like houseing, and other content not availible to thoes who opt not to pay any money. Systems like this normaly make it extreamly hard on people who choose not to pay, and make it near impossible to play the game. Shot Online is a great example... try to level in SO without buying a double XP item. Its nearly impossible. Not to say this dosn't already happen in UO with people buying in-game cash with real money.... but thats far less widespread.

Things that could change for UO in terms of billing that would be nice, and well recieved by thoes who actualy play the game would be a reduction in monthly cost, perhaps to something between $7-10 a month, makeing it well below the standard $15 so it appeals to more people, followed by a new expansion and a big media push.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Originally posted by obii

Uo would be perfect for an item shop game or free to play with additional features you pay for like housing and other pixel crack. Has been proposed a few times, but I guess EA rather wants it to die like sims online.
    I think you're right.  UO is just trying to let UO finish its lifespan in peace without too much disturbance.  I don't think any revolutionary changes are going to boost subs for UO.  Most UO subs are die hard and have been there for a long time and own more than one account.  They won't quit because they have so much time invested into rare loot and collecting houses ect. 

I love UO and recognize it as the best MMO ever in its time, but they are just going to have to let it fade away in its past glory.  It just can't compete with the new age of MMOs in terms of appearance and content.

• Triple3033Triple3033 Member Posts: 7

if this becomes true with UO please somone inform i wil return to it asap lol i think 15$ for UO is just to much :/

• TrykenTryken Ultima Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 63

Here's the issue with the multiple perspectives, while all possible solutions. I noticed somebody asking for the game to go to 7-10 dollars, have a big media push, and a big expansion. So, the idea is, give them less money, and expect them to do more? That doesn't make sense. They can't produce if they don't have the financial means to do it.

Secondly, the item shop idea. Here's the problem: Free To Play Communities lower the community standards. It will also raise botting, farming, because if one gets caught, it is very easy to reproduce an account. Let us not forget the Free2Play crowd. I've played enough of them to know. And offer advantages to those who spend real money? That's unfair, entirely. It just makes it so the wealtheir in real life show it in the game and gain higher advantages. The idea is that, like in life, in UO, when one starts, he or she has the capability to ascend to any level.

Ultima Online is not dead, nor is it dying. Yes, many of its subscribers are old and hardcore, but many are fairly in the past year new. I don't feel that Ultima Online is outdated. UO's mission is to be able to stay focused on lower end computers. Also, I've met people who play Ragnarok Online, and when I ask why, reply that they have motion sickness, so 3D MMOs make them ill. It's like 2D fighting games. It's preference, and I tend to enjoy it.

UO does undercut, it's 12.99 a month. You get six character slots. A very active in game community. Player events. Yes, the game has evolved. No, not everybody is happy with it. But, so has Everquest. So has Dark Age of Camelot. Those games aren't about to die anymore than Ultima Online is. Ten years and it's not fading away. The original Super Mario Bros. never faded, and a lot of people still play Star Craft. I've even played fairly recent games of Red Alert 2. They're still there.

Long Live Ultima Online

Tryken

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Uo is €14 here which makes it about $21 these days.

I can play wow for €13 which has better graphics and gameplay and lots better service.

And I love UO, but after watching EA for 9 years deteriorating the game and hardly giving a damn about the communities I just don't want to pay them anymore.

EA's version is just not mine. Generic events without gms, seers, counselors or even quests (a soulless game) is just not adequate these days. EA stated years ago they do not believe in seers and so and rather program things and it took the life and soul out of a game which was meant to be brought to life by gms/seers (humans in the end)

If I want a lifeless game I play wow or any other out therem but UO in my opionion needs the human touch.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by Obee

I still wouldn't play.  Too much of the gameplay, beyond the whole PK/PVP deal, has been changed to the point where the official game isn't any fun.  Pop up an official server that has the ruleset from any time prior to the AoS expansion and I'd consider paying for the game again.  Everything from AoS on has been downhill.  I don't want to play UO with elves, ninja, or artifacts.  I don't care if it has the pre Trammel/Felluca split rules.  The gameplay changes, from the AoS expansion on, have made UO a game I'm not interested in playing.
    Unfortunately, the current developers think going forward is somehow a better path than even considering a pre-AoS server.  The Seige Perilous server is currently just a post AoS server with some rule changes, ones that don't come anywhere near the intention of making it feel like the launch version of the game.  SP isn't an acceptable substitute for what the vast majority of the folks who keep asking for a pre Trammel ruleset server want.
    If I want to play a bad game for free, there are plenty of free to play games available.  Many of them are better than UO currently is, and that doesn't make them good games by any stretch.

I'd have to agree with you on this.  Even if UO was free to play I still probably wouldn't bother with it.  All the fun has been sucked out of it and there just isn't much of a point anymore.  But if they had an old server on the way it use to be before all the BS then I'd play for sure if it was free, hell I'd even consider paying for it.  Let's face it, UO is dead, but I acknowledge it as the best MMORPG in its prime.

• yeecksyeecks Member UncommonPosts: 11

I admired Lord British and played them since Ultima 1. I would prefer UO to be free to play / limited use of server.

• Who pays for UO anymore jeez.