Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need help fixing my pc

wyvexwyvex Member UncommonPosts: 346

for some unknown reason to me my pc started to not turn on properly. i have an XPC shuttle. when ever i turn it on, the big xpc logo and all shows up and then it changes to a black screen that says "Windows failed to start. A reacent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem: (1. insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. choose your language settings, and then click "next." 3. click "repair your computer" )

other options: if power was interrupted during startup, choose start windows normally.

options are: safe mode. safe mode withe networking. safe mode with command prompt. last known good configuration (advanced). and last option - start windows normally.

my PC is custom though so i dont have installation discs. and ive tried starting my comp with all the options multiple times and when ever i choose one it just goes to a blank black screen and doesnt change so all i can do is turn my computer off. ive also tried putting in the vista disc and restarting my computer and that did nothing. i really dont wanna resort to having to bring my computer into the shop or anything. if any one else knows what i might be able to do to fix it or if anyone else has had this problem. thanks

Comments

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Go into your BIOS and make sure that it tries to boot from the Disc Drive first. Then insert your Vista Installation disc and restart your computer.

• HotLineHotLine Member Posts: 113
    try repair install...hope it helps
  • n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317

This happened to me the other day.  I fixed it by taking out the cmos battery to reset the cmos on it.  Afterwards it worked beautifully.  I beleive you only need to take it out for about 20 minutes or so, but I just took it out over night.  When you are done but it back, boot into bios and fix any setting that need to be changed as they will all reset to default and you should be good to go.

member of imminst.org

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

If you plan on removing your CMOS battery, it doesn't need to be out for very long.. 1-3 minutes but really I don't see it fixing too much.  The system is asking for a repair installation, so doing just what HotLine suggested will fix the issue.

If it doesn't or it blue screens, other options would be setting your MOBO Bios back to default, or resetting using the default pin configuration.  Next would be checking your Hard Drive for consistency issues.. you could have a bad hard drive if a repair doesn't work.

On the F8 screen it asked you about how you wanted to boot, you could also try the Last Known Good Configuration and see if that will take you into windows.  Depending on what the Last Known Configuration was though you may have to reinstall some Drivers.

Let us know if this helps.

• wyvexwyvex Member UncommonPosts: 346

i still need some help on this. i tried changing the start up disc to the CD and putting in the vista disc - after i turned on my comp it would say booting from disc etc . .  and then just go to the same black screen with my options on how to start up my computer and again non of them work.

im not really sure how to repair install if any one could help me with that.

and if that doesnt help could some one help me learn how to remove my cmos battery to reset the cmos on it. thanks

• wyvexwyvex Member UncommonPosts: 346

never mind i fixed my computer taking out the cmos battery and everything worked fine. thanks