Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Permadeath after 500 hours

ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

In this game your character permanently dies after 500 hours. I don't really see the point in this. And even if there is a point to it, it seems way too short a time.

Many people will play 50 hours a week or more, so in 10 weeks their character will die.

People spend a lot of time hanging out in town trading or just chatting. So by the time you get your character to a high level and are ready to start PVPing with him, he will die.

Seems pretty crazy.

Reminds me of Logans run. Where everyone has to die at age 35. I wonder if they will have a carousel where you can fly around and blow up like in Logans run.

Then everyone will yell RENEW!

Comments

• Drift78Drift78 Member UncommonPosts: 4

From what I understand you should be PVP-Ready (skill wise) after 50 hours so those power gamers will be able to figh each other after one week of play. And when they die, either after 500 hours of play or during a special event which trigger the "perma-death", they will live on in their offsprings, who will not only posess some of their higher skills but will be able to learn other skills faster than their progenitor. Fast forward a few generations and your descendants will be learning skills very very fast. I also seem to remember something about your kids inheriting your "fame" or something similar...

There's no true "perma-death" with this blood-line system... Just think of it as getting a new character every few months who will still have your more important skills and the opportunity to learn new ones at an accelerated rate. Not a bad bargain I think...

• CthulhuCthulhu Member Posts: 3

the 500 hour mark is a rough estimate at this point, i think. that will probably change as the game develops further. I think this is suppose to serve two points, 1. to keep leet uber power players from pwning the game indefinitely and 2. interesting/dynamic roleplay system.

• xDraakanxxDraakanx Member Posts: 24

the whole game is based on roleplaying and you have to find a women to get some children. You have to interact with npcs and with guils, orders, aliances and so on. 500 hours is a good time I think. You can do powerleveling, but you have not much use of it, because only if you interact with other characters, you can achieve something

Three can save a secret as long two of them are dead.

-= Benjamin Franklin =-

Three can hide a secret as long two of them are dead.

-= Benjamin Franklin =-

Channel Manager www.gamesdynamite.de

• -=CWC=-Joffy-=CWC=-Joffy Member Posts: 36

I've only just found out about this game and it sounds like a really good idea::::01::
    Very innovative and I hope they can follow this up with other stuff to grab peoples interest they deserve it..
    In reply to your thread the point is you have another generation and they gain the skills you had with your orginal char at a quicker rate so it is easier

• worisworis Member Posts: 86
    Hmm do you think someone should do a sticky in this forum saying: "Explanation of bloodline and permadeath" or something like that. It seems that many have wrong information about them, should also help us who have to explain it every time someone asks. image

---------------
    MMORPG genre=trend=lots of subscriptions/bad games

• MieszkoMieszko Member Posts: 2

In order to live after 500 hours you need a child. Your child inherits your items and gains skills faster if the father/mother were high in that skill, I think 2 or 4 are chosen randomly. The child carries on the family name(last name). I also believe that when the child is born the parents decide who keeps it and that family name sticks with it althought the child is only a virtual entity until the parent who keeps it dies and starts to play it.

• RykerRyker Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Didnt it say someplace that after you die so many times your child may become immortal.
  • MieszkoMieszko Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Ryker
    Didnt it say someplace that after you die so many times your child may become immortal.

No the way it works is like this. Anyone can get up to 50% in a skill. Only an apprentice can get 70% in a skill. Only a master can get up to 100% in a skill. Only a Hero can get 150% in a skill. Only a demigod/god can get 200% in a skill. Now as you get farther past apprentice your life is extended past the 500 hours. To become a hero you must be selected by a Gm during an event and I'd ASSUME that to become a God you must be a very good hero. And yes when you become a demigod or a god you become immortal. But to become one would take many lifecycles, children. Also becoming an apprentice will require a master to accept you as a studen and I don't know how to become a master, althought at release some people chosen from beta and gm's will be master. Know this that a lot of roleplaying will be required to become a master and higher.

Also note that a player will only live from 20-26 days even if it is less than the 500 hours, I'd assume that means Earth days not game days.(please don't quote me the chat in irc was a bit hard to decode)

• YippeeYippee Member Posts: 18
    This game looks like the end all of shadowbane problems  i cant wait 

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

Originally posted by Drift78

From what I understand you should be PVP-Ready (skill wise) after 50 hours so those power gamers will be able to figh each other after one week of play. And when they die, either after 500 hours of play or during a special event which trigger the "perma-death", they will live on in their offsprings, who will not only posess some of their higher skills but will be able to learn other skills faster than their progenitor. Fast forward a few generations and your descendants will be learning skills very very fast. I also seem to remember something about your kids inheriting your "fame" or something similar...
    There's no true "perma-death" with this blood-line system... Just think of it as getting a new character every few months who will still have your more important skills and the opportunity to learn new ones at an accelerated rate. Not a bad bargain I think...

I am not familiar with this game, but I have been looking into mmorpg with this perma-death ype of system.  I think is sounds very interesting.  If the system works as Drift78 explained, I think it would work great.  I am all for any features that make the game feel more realistic.  To me, perma-death is a feature that makes a game feel like you are more delicate than you think and what you do in the time your character is alive is all the more important.

I know that many players would consider perm-death a game killing feature, but if a system is used like described about, I think even powergamers would like it.  Well, I'm not really sure about powergamers, but I know I would like it!

• AngronAngron Member Posts: 8
    i can`t  wait either

• MhorhamMhorham Member Posts: 146
    I dont really see Mourning as a permadeath game. The age death thing of 500hrs is a greatway to keep the character development process alive. Your characters are linked via the heir system so that the template of each child is quickened by the skills of the mother and father. Its very refreshing to break out of the "retraining same old character umteen times" character development that has been going around lately. You are represented through a family of characters insted of just one. Kepps the ebb and flow of power alive and prevents the community from becoming top heavy.

http://www.darkfallonline.com

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

I bet the perma death thing will change like with EVE online if you forgot to get a clone after youd died and if you died again you could lose evarything you have made but recently they changed that where you only lose a few things.I hope perma death will have role playing elements that has to do with the game and not just time so you get to enjoy the game withut thinking time is runing out.

• worisworis Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Datcyde

I bet the perma death thing will change like with EVE online if you forgot to get a clone after youd died and if you died again you could lose evarything you have made but recently they changed that where you only lose a few things.I hope perma death will have role playing elements that has to do with the game and not just time so you get to enjoy the game withut thinking time is runing out.

When you die permanently in Mourning, it means your whole character dies. You will literally change the character you play, not just lose items or experience etc.

And about roleplaying, its the heart of this game and permadeath is there for roleplaying. Bloodline etc. Here is a link to the FAQ, where you can read how it works: http://www.realmsofkrel.com/death.html#1

---------------
    Most of the games are crappy, people play them only because they think they can find the "perfect" game if they keep looking and researching. It has become an obsession for them. Give it up.

---------------
    MMORPG genre=trend=lots of subscriptions/bad games

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Thanks for the link woris ::::28::

• xDraakanxxDraakanx Member Posts: 24

here is anopther good link.

It is from snert and there are all the Dev Chats and alle the peeks together.

So take a look and if there are some questions left, ask :)

http://www.realmsoftorment.net/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=11575&highlight=peek

-= Benjamin Franklin =-

-= Benjamin Franklin =-

Channel Manager www.gamesdynamite.de