Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to but can't

MasterPain55MasterPain55 Member Posts: 257

I've proably tried the trial about 5 times over the past 2 years and it seems like every time i get into the game im overwhelmed with all the different buttons and the gigantic tutorial. I completed the tutorial twice but every time i get to the dock for example all the buttons are way too much. I want to get into this game but the complexity keeps drawing me away. My favorite game was pre-cu swg and everyone keeps telling me eve is the closest substitute for a old swg player. Does anyone know of any other decent mmos that might be like swg was?

Comments

• AesperAesper Member UncommonPosts: 90

I suggest you suck it up and learn the UI, terminology, and mechanics.

Its worth it. I did it. I love it. Best game for me since EQ.

Something about the warm fuzzy feeling you get inside when the mouthy punk you just podded or ransomed (sometimes both in reverse order) is losing his mind.

I guarentee your adrenaline wont get going like this in any other game.

EVE Online player since 2007.

"Our greatest glory consist not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

- Oliver Goldsmith

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

EVE is really great game. I have been confused first 2-3 days also. That first days I even have not completed the tutorial - only have "tired every button on the interface". Just be patient, thats the primary key in EVE at all.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

EVE has one of the worst tutorials and hardest learning curve from all the games on the market. But it's still wort it for me.

What you want is to get into a corp and have other player help you out rather then to do it yourself.

And there is no other game that closely resembles eve out there yet. I also played old SWG but I can not say that EVE is that similar. 

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• AranStormahAranStormah Member Posts: 278

Eve isn't for the impatient.

That's one of the reasons why the average age of Eve players is around 25 years.

The closest substitute to old SWG is old UO (if you go to the Siege Perilous, it's the last classic server), the second closest is probably Eve followed by Ryzom at a third (if that thing is still around, mind it's a PvE game though).

Note: Eve goes for having one of the steepest learning curves, but UO is pretty hard too. There's no easy way to learn how to survive in a sandbox game where everyone can do what they want, because there's no step-by-step goals.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Sometimes Eve just isn't for you. I am one of those people.

I've tried Eve around 7 times now. Once or twice I've made it near the end of the 14-day trial, but I always leave. I can't pinpoint the reason why. I love comlpexity, but I think Eve is just a little too slow for me. You may get satisfaction in the end, but having to wait so long for it is just not appealing to me.