Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What didn't they learn?

Still trying to decide whether or not this game is worth buying or if i need to wait for a trial.

If there's somthing the funcom dev's didn't learn from other MMO's (esp. WoW) what would it be?

Comments

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

(Will get swamped by fanbois for this, but...)

Level 80 endgame raiding for gear.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Ascension08

(Will get swamped by fanbois for this, but...)
    Level 80 endgame raiding for gear.

but then again everybody has a different idea of what the ideal game for them would be.  I am still a firm believer that you can't please everybody.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by zeul81

Still trying to decide whether or not this game is worth buying or if i need to wait for a trial.
    If there's somthing the funcom dev's didn't learn from other MMO's (esp. WoW) what would it be?

They didn't learn from EQ's tutorial/newb isle being an annoying, immersion breaking game mechanic.

They didn't learn from WOW's endless quest pathing and overall linear design.

Basically, they created a polished RPG, but not a "game world" in the sense many veteran gamers are familiar with.

Now, they had some great ideas with classes and with instances/zones (the latter are great for community building through zone chat), and they have some interesting mechanics in the way of city building (to early too see this, but it's present).

Nope, the quest for a good game still continues... Ahem, maybe in another three or four years something worthwhile will come out...

• AOCtesterAOCtester Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 431

Funcom failed the basic rule.  They desided to allow the game to go retail without it beeng ready.    They set a date and then said... We will do as much as we can do get it ready. 

Instead it sould have been.  We do as much as we can in the next 2 monts and then we take a look on how far we are.  If the game is not ready we keep working on it and finetuning and polishing things that are needed to. 

The basic failure in the MMO buisness atm is that its ok to deliver unfinished games.  And what does that lead to in the end ?  Unhappy custimors - less subs (when the game is actually ready). 

The game that actually would do it properly and deliver finished produce (even its a mmo)  would get large amount of phrase for it and good repetation.   Game doesn't have to be perfect cause we all are looking for diffrent thing.

Palebane
  • fantarosfantaros Member Posts: 394

They didn't learn that besides content, fun etc u need GOOD CUSTOMER SUPPORT to keep people paying you. They even closed down the game's official forums for crying out loud.

• Skatty2007Skatty2007 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

Originally posted by fantaros

They didn't learn that besides content, fun etc u need GOOD CUSTOMER SUPPORT to keep people paying you. They even closed down the game's official forums for crying out loud.

That is partially true.  They closed it down for non-subscribers.  There is a message regarding this on the Welcome Screen when the client is analyzing itself to see if there is a patch to download when you first start up the application.

Whether this is good idea or not, that's up to everyone to decide for themselves.

I'm not creative enough to have a signature

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by AOCtester

Funcom failed the basic rule.  They desided to allow the game to go retail without it beeng ready.    They set a date and then said... We will do as much as we can do get it ready. 
    Instead it sould have been.  We do as much as we can in the next 2 monts and then we take a look on how far we are.  If the game is not ready we keep working on it and finetuning and polishing things that are needed to. 
    The basic failure in the MMO buisness atm is that its ok to deliver unfinished games.  And what does that lead to in the end ?  Unhappy custimors - less subs (when the game is actually ready). 
    The game that actually would do it properly and deliver finished produce (even its a mmo)  would get large amount of phrase for it and good repetation.   Game doesn't have to be perfect cause we all are looking for diffrent thing.
    MMOs are never "finished", they constantly add content, make balance tweaks, fix bugs, etc. It's the nature of the beast.

That said, I believe that Funcom failed to learn a crucial lesson taught in marketing and sales programs:

Underpromise, and overdeliver.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

HeHAeh - Was that statement on purpose?  Heh I got a big laugh out of that one if you actually meant it

I would personally modifiy that statement from my own personal perspective just a bit:  I think they did promise a lot.  And I think they also delivered on that promise.

Like I said up above, its not w/out its glitches, but its a pretty damn good game as it stands right now.

Palebane

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Skatty2007

HeHAeh - Was that statement on purpose?  Heh I got a big laugh out of that one if you actually meant it

I would personally modifiy that statement from my own personal perspective just a bit:  I think they did promise a lot.  And I think they also delivered on that promise.

Like I said up above, its not w/out its glitches, but its a pretty damn good game as it stands right now.

actually, yeah. You never tell a customer what they WILL get, you tell them what they MAY get. You never promise things, unless you KNOW you can deliver them.

One of the things that's kept me in business all these years is telling my customers that something is "good", when in fact it's great. then they try it, and it exceeds their expectations.

Pleasantly surprised > disappointment.

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827

exactly what part (besides dx10) isnt ready? game runs good on many systems, yes theres bugs but not more then your standard mmo at launch, theres enough content, or not?

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

Originally posted by Skatty2007

actually, yeah. You never tell a customer what they WILL get, you tell them what they MAY get. You never promise things, unless you KNOW you can deliver them.

One of the things that's kept me in business all these years is telling my customers that something is "good", when in fact it's great. then they try it, and it exceeds their expectations.

Pleasantly surprised > disappointment.

Hrmm - I like that philosophy.  I will have to try to adopt that in my profession (Solutions Engineer for an IT shop in a insurance/annuity company.  I know - Yawn...)

Well I better quit talking about it as I do not want to hijack this thread.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by pencilrick

Originally posted by zeul81

They didn't learn from EQ's tutorial/newb isle being an annoying, immersion breaking game mechanic.

They didn't learn from WOW's endless quest pathing and overall linear design.

Basically, they created a polished RPG, but not a "game world" in the sense many veteran gamers are familiar with.

Now, they had some great ideas with classes and with instances/zones (the latter are great for community building through zone chat), and they have some interesting mechanics in the way of city building (to early too see this, but it's present).

Nope, the quest for a good game still continues... Ahem, maybe in another three or four years something worthwhile will come out...

Dont listen to Pencil, he has a problem with AOC and he is only level 5.  Aparantly he feels that his being level 5 tells him exactly what the game is going to be like. Pencil, go play the game past 20 and then come back and qq.

• zeul81zeul81 Member Posts: 54

MMOs are never "finished", they constantly add content, make balance tweaks, fix bugs, etc. It's the nature of the beast.

That said, I believe that Funcom failed to learn a crucial lesson taught in marketing and sales programs:

i totally agree, when WoW came out it had absolutly nothing, no bg's, no raids, no arena, it was not perfect at launch and nothing will be, it  has to evolve with patches to fit what the players want

i also agre with the last statement, they did promise a lot

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The adbots are quoting each other, next they will give one another an Awesome! :D
    Palebane