Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lotro: sandbox/skill based

apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

This game totally should have been designed as sandbox with skill based (as opposed to class based). I also think it should have lacked levels. It should have been the total sandbox game.

If there's one thing Tolkien/LotR fans wanted was to LIVE in Middle-Earth (although online). The graphics and everything else that looks and feels in this game is nice enough to be that world, but it fails to give that living in Middle-Earth feeling and simply feels more like every other MMO, only LotR themed.

Anywho, that's my 2¢. It's probably old news and said too much, but I felt I had to post this.

so...

Comments

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

It originally was a sandbox open MMO. That was 9 years ago though back when Sierra owned the rights. It was called Middle Earth Online (MEO). It also had good vs evil faction. Your actions could determine your good/evil alignment !

The game was sold to Vivendi and then Turbine (getting scrapped twice). Turbine dumped the name and changed the focus from sandbox to linear story based.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by apocalance

This game totally should have been designed as sandbox with skill based (as opposed to class based). I also think it should have lacked levels. It should have been the total sandbox game.
    If there's one thing Tolkien/LotR fans wanted was to LIVE in Middle-Earth (although online). The graphics and everything else that looks and feels in this game is nice enough to be that world, but it fails to give that living in Middle-Earth feeling and simply feels more like every other MMO, only LotR themed.
    Anywho, that's my 2¢. It's probably old news and said too much, but I felt I had to post this.

Again, wrong.

YOU would have probably enjoyed it more if it were sandbox/skill based. Also, surely many other people would have enjoyed it that way.

But the game "totally should have been deisgned as sandbox with skill based" is not a fact. It's just a voicing of an opinion, and you should have phrased it that way - meaning, if you wanted to sound fair and not starting a flamefest.

Turbine knew exactly what they were doing and who they were targeting. The game is a success. Thus, we can safely say, that the game totally should not have been designed as sandbox with skill based.

This has nothing to do with the fact that -by a coincidence - I also enjoy skill based leveling a lot more than fixed skills! However, I am very far from thinking that LOTRO would have been successful that way. Quite the opposite, actually.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

Again, wrong.

YOU would have probably enjoyed it more if it were sandbox/skill based. Also, surely many other people would have enjoyed it that way.

But the game "totally should have been deisgned as sandbox with skill based" is not a fact. It's just a voicing of an opinion, and you should have phrased it that way - meaning, if you wanted to sound fair and not starting a flamefest.

Turbine knew exactly what they were doing and who they were targeting. The game is a success. Thus, we can safely say, that the game totally should not have been designed as sandbox with skill based.

This has nothing to do with the fact that -by a coincidence - I also enjoy skill based leveling a lot more than fixed skills! However, I am very far from thinking that LOTRO would have been successful that way. Quite the opposite, actually.

DB

Thank you Donnie, good post.

And for people who might think that middle earth online was going to be "better", we really don't know. Just because they say they are going to do certain things, doesn't mean they are going to do it well or do it in such a way that players will like.

Heck, look at AOC, they have been pretty clear about how they were going to make the game but there are so many complaints (though quite frankly for me they don't hold water) that you would think that it was another failure.

As far as living in middle earth, "no", I don't want to live in middle earth. I want to play a game and get on with my life.

I already "live' in a wolrd... the real world. That suffices enough.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

Again, wrong.

DB

The OP is not saying LOTRO isn't sucessful. The OP is not saying that his opinion is fact. And the OP is not saying that people would have enjoyed the game more if it were a sandbox/skill based MMO. He is saying that his statement is opinion and he is saying that he doesn't enjoy it as much because it's designed as class and level based. I think you need to read it more carefully.

The OP's opening statement is called out as his opinion simply through the context of the post. There's no need to lambast the OP for posting his opinion. Your post is more likely to cause a flamefest than the OPs.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

LOTR is a pretty decent game. Best graphics around and fun to play.

Having said that, I would have preferred the Middle Earth Online (MEO) version that Sierra had envisioned.

Linear games with levels and focused questing is like an amusement park. The rides are fun and cotton candy and soda are great at first. By after a few months, the ride loses its appeal to me.

sandbox MMO virtual worlds have long-term appeal (see Ultima, 10 years old 2d game and its still going)