Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm bummed out that you can't play as Orc

Everyones gonna pick elf. This game isn't gonna rock when everryone picks one race.

-----------------------------

"If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy." -Jack Handey

---------------------------------------------
"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." -Jack Handey

Comments

• SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115
    I actually think I would pick Human, if you got to wear pretty armor like at the Last Alliance. image And if you got to look all scruffy and sexy and dirty like Aragorn.

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

• Smelly_ArmorSmelly_Armor Member UncommonPosts: 571
    It's a shame you can't play as an orc. I don't mind elvish characters, but I've been there and done that. Playing a human in MeO will be ok, but maybe Vivendi will change it's mind and add orcs to the playable character's list.

"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action." Hartley's 1st Law

• GambinoGambino Member Posts: 31

Here, let me contradict your accusations. Humans will be the most popular, because humans will have the most classes and be the most diverse. They will have opportunities that most of the other races don't.

Orcs will probably be released in later expansions. They are not focused on that right now, as they are trying to work on cooperation amongst the player base, by starting off with all the races of good alignment. Playing as orcs walking aimlessly around Middle-earth is very un-Tolkien, which goes against the standards of the developers.

• Corsair52Corsair52 Member Posts: 65
    that's unsubstuntiated statement Axel image why noone mentions hobbitsez ?? do not you say they 'rnt cool =p As a pure wish i'd like to see wizards as PC not less than orcs.

• bart.pietersbart.pieters Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by RabidWerWolf
    It's a shame you can't play as an orc. I don't mind elvish characters, but I've been there and done that. Playing a human in MeO will be ok, but maybe Vivendi will change it's mind and add orcs to the playable character's list.

"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action." Hartley's 1st Law

Making orcs playable would require an enormous ammount of work: you'd need to add an evil side of the work with evil cities, evil quests etc. Also some difficult subjects would need to be solved: how to go about consensual PvP and having orcish and elvish player characters, how to go about having orcs wandering around and being to able the Shire..... no easy solution that would be fun and not too restrictive. At any rate by keeping them out they have kept the work more manageable and yes possibly they will be added at a later date.

• BeornTheBearBeornTheBear Member Posts: 7

Actually, as much as I have to say it, he is right about the elves.

Many people are going to be Legolas1634653 or some bull like that.

They said they will have a strict naming policy and will enforce it.... still without doubt some people will get through.... ah well I won't let my enjoyment ruined by some silly people chosing silly names :)

• LaskLask Member Posts: 11

I myself, am going to be a human.

They're going to introduce Orcs eventually, probably in the next expansion, or the 2nd one. The reason they're not in the first is, among other things, is that you don't really see Orcs running around the Shire that often. If you were an Orc, you wouldn't be aloud in nearly any of the citys, since Orcs are evil, and can't go in pure good towns (according to the official boards).

• Loona35Loona35 Member Posts: 55

... no a city full of 10.000 hobbits is what Tolkien would have liked to see. image

I like the game pretty much but i certanly won't buy it as long as you can only pick 4 races. (Of which 3 are so extreme standard you see them in every other game..)

Hrm the races are standard because Tolkien sort of invented the genre and other copied a lot of those concepts (quite a bunch in a creative way). It's a bit hard to have a wookie or a half elf playable in the game....

At any rate they are not done with the classes and I expect each race to have about 4 classes on the average each with two subclasses. Apart from classes you get to chose a vocation and an upbringing. If those are set at 6 different vocations and upbringings (which is really not that hard), you would have 4 * 4 * 2 * 6 * 6 = 1152 different set ups. Apart from that I expect some additional choices further finetuning the set up of your character. To me that seems quite a lot freedom of choice :)

• RegusRegus Member Posts: 489

I like orcs too, i really want to lead a few in battle or attack Minas Tirith (or another town) with the aid of wargs. but that will have to wait for later or never. We will see.

I don't know yet what i will choose have to wait for the classes that are actually in the game to decide my race. But I am curious.

One day all will die, surely you but never I.

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time

• IllidianIllidian Member Posts: 5

ok i've been looking up stuff on this game it looks like it might last... people are right that everyone will go for elves, also this game will get boring considering theres no FVF (for all you noobs faction vs faction) and as far as i know no PVP... also the part were everyone is assigned to one class (except for humens) REALLY REALLY bums me out... which is why im going for WOW and FOMK (LOOK AT FOMK ITS AWESOME TOTAL BREAK FROM CLICK AND KILL ITS A FPS!!!!!!!!)

Go MMORPGS!

Go MMORPGS!

• FizblixFizblix Member UncommonPosts: 130

"I'm bummed out that you can't play as Orc"

Would be boring spending half the your game time hideing in a cave from the sunlight as an orc eh?

Wouldn't be fun to be a troll either... loseing xp because you stepped out into the sunlight and got turned into solid stone.

I guess they could start ya off in mordor  where the fumes from Mt. Doom dim the day.... or start in the misty mountains.  Either way though, you would pretty much have to spend the whole game confined to a small  portion of the world.

The only things they could add would be the Uruk-Hai  if Saruman has allready started creating them... or they could add the Black Uruks.  They could be the same thing though, noone really knows.

Mostly Harmless Guild   ♦  Youtube  ♦  Sponsored by Mr. Beer
  • MithgulMithgul Member Posts: 1
    hey my first post here HUGE fan of lotr, im really looking forward to this game ALOT. but no ones said anything about being an easternling !?! i would love to play as one but im really skeptical as to how they could add a race of the evil alignment that would be so much work they would have to add bad lands,quests,npc's etc. and at least a number of races equivelent too good races. I wouldnt think races of the alignments would be able to go the lands of good alignment races i.e shire,rivendell. But i think it would be really cool for neutral zones to be made like osgiliath, ithilien,and lands east of misty moutains,orthanc where open pvp could be allowed between the races. they could still stay true to tolkien as there were orcs in those areas in the books. but like i siad i have no clue to how this could be done although it would be cool image

Dark Age of Camelot-6 months(retired)
    Lineage 2:Chaotic Chronicle-1 month
    Runescape-1 month

Dark Age of Camelot-6 months(retired)
    Lineage 2:Chaotic Chronicle-1 month(retired)
    Runescape-1 month(retired)

Looking forward too:Dragon empires,middle earth online,guild wars,everquest 2

• Member Posts: 10

I wish they'd put a rule so we can't be named as one of the chars in the JRRT universe or a slight variation of any.. like in the EoM (the kinship in which I am a member)

It would suck to look around and see only chars like;

L3g0l4$, legolas1, Legolas2, Legolas3 (and up to Legolas532510987), Legless, Laeglas, Legolas_lover, Orlando_is_hot, etc... *sigh* that would just suck

Onen i-estel Edain, ù-chebin estel anim

Na-dem pedim ad,

Onen i-estel Edain, ù-chebin estel anim

Na-dem pedim ad,

• GambinoGambino Member Posts: 31

People WONT go for Elves when they find out how hard they are to play as. They aren't like the other races, and require more patience and dedication than the others. Power gamers won't have time for that, and the "Legolaz r0xors" kids won't understand it.

If you are mad that you can't play as an Easterling, just think about how unrealistic it would be to run through the Shire or Lindon with your character. That is very un-Tolkien, and in turn results as an impossiblity.

For those who think four starting races are dumb, then could you tell me who practically invented the entire genre? Tolkien, so don't say the other games are better. Do you know of some other good-aligned races in Middle-earth to even play as? No. Hobbits, dwarves, humans, and elves are the only races around at the time of the War of the Ring of the good alignment. And no, swans and eagles don't count.

EDIT:

ok i've been looking up stuff on this game it looks like it might last... people are right that everyone will go for elves, also this game will get boring considering theres no FVF (for all you noobs faction vs faction) and as far as i know no PVP... also the part were everyone is assigned to one class (except for humens) REALLY REALLY bums me out... which is why im going for WOW and FOMK (LOOK AT FOMK ITS AWESOME TOTAL BREAK FROM CLICK AND KILL ITS A FPS!!!!!!!!)
    I hope everyone can see how wrong this post is. First off, do we have elves killing elves in PvP in the real Middle-earth? Or hobbits killing dwarves? I really don't think so. I don't even want to go into groups (FvF). That would just make me more stupid if I tried to explain how ludacris is. But since there are unsure members around here, I will bother to say that we will not be havning groups or factions of hobbits killing other groups or factions of hobbits. You don't see that in the movies or books, so why would it be here. After all, the devs are trying to keep the game as close to the way Tolkien envisioned it as possible. Yea... about the classes... the game isn't done, and those are the only ones they've released so far. Finally, I don't care for your WoW or FoMK advertisements, so knock it off.

Geez, we have too many l337 players around here who are so used to EQ and WoW that when MEO rolls around they see the advatages as disadvantages. They have no idea how innovative MEO is. It is the real third generation MMORPG.

• Originally posted by bart.pieters

Originally posted by RabidWerWolf

Making orcs playable would require an enormous ammount of work: you'd need to add an evil side of the work with evil cities, evil quests etc.

Not as much work as you think. Need proof? For 5 million bucks EverQuest was able to do Orcs just right. In addition to 11, yes ELEVEN other races. image

Also some difficult subjects would need to be solved: how to go about consensual PvP and having orcish and elvish player characters, how to go about having orcs wandering around and being to able the Shire..... no easy solution that would be fun and not too restrictive. At any rate by keeping them out they have kept the work more manageable and yes possibly they will be added at a later date.

Easily done. Again, in EQ no one sees Orcs wandering around the Shire. Yes EQ has the Shire also, because EQ IS MEO heheh. Anyway, MEO can just use the same game feature that the current MEO that is already out (but goes by the name EQ) has that keeps player Orcs from wandering around the Shire. And it is very little work to do it.

Your consentural PvP question answers itself. If it is consentual PvP then no worries about players getting into fights they do not want to get into.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========

MMORPG games I've played:
    ---------------------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

DAoC (coming soon)
    ---------------------------

• Originally posted by Fizblix

"I'm bummed out that you can't play as Orc"

Would be boring spending half the your game time hideing in a cave from the sunlight as an orc eh?

Re-read Tolkien's books. Not all Orcs need to hide from the sun. The Uruk Hai, the Northern Orcs, the wood orcs (they put the smackdown on Legolas and the rest of the wood elves in Lord of the Rings book 1 when they rescued Smeagal.).

Wouldn't be fun to be a troll either... loseing xp because you stepped out into the sunlight and got turned into solid stone.

*sigh* Not all trolls turn into stone when in the sunlight. The Trolls that were part of Sauran's army when it attacked Minas Tirath. The trolls that attacked Aragorn when Aragorn made the final assult on Mordor, at the end of Lord of the Rings book 3, were all in the sun.

I guess they could start ya off in mordor  where the fumes from Mt. Doom dim the day....

Some of the fumes did dim the day. But it was an evil darkness emited from Sauran himself that choked the day. The same darkeness attacked Helms Deep. Then the humans on their own used their own ancient human magic to fight it off. (and no Elf army came to help them like the movies showed.)

or start in the misty mountains.  Either way though, you would pretty much have to spend the whole game confined to a small  portion of the world.

Again, re-read ALL of Tolkien's books. Trolls, and Orcs roamed and wandered everywhere. Orcs even moreso. There are also many different types of Orcs.

The only things they could add would be the Uruk-Hai  if Saruman has allready started creating them... or they could add the Black Uruks.  They could be the same thing though, noone really knows.

Anyone who has recently re-read the books know. Also the Lord of the Rings books are NOT the only books that define Middle Earth. Tolkien wrote tons of other books:

- The Silmarilian

- Book of Lost Tales 1

- Book of Lost Tales 2

- .......... and the Green Knight

- The Leys of Beyerland (sp!)

and more.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========

MMORPG games I've played:
    ---------------------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

DAoC (coming soon)
    ---------------------------

• KonttuKonttu Member Posts: 81

I think i will be elf, 'couse i like elves dont care what game it is...
    And i like ranger types of characters and scouts or whatever that kind...

And more that i think elves can do something like elven chainmails or that kind...