Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth > AOC & WAR?

WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

First of all, this game sets itself apart from all other upcomming releases by being the only mmo that is based on skill, rather then level.  It contains a truly innovative and meaningful crafting system.  It puts the player in a world that has just suffered through a terrible apocalypse that brought about the destruction of most technology, instead of the old been-there-done-that fantasy or medieval settings we've all grown so accustomed to.  It also offers a kick-ass character customization and lets you choose between 6 unique factions that all have their own distinct abilities!  Forget the old point & click (or click & swing) combat, and say hello to a skill-based fps hybrid that actually takes a keen eye and a steady hand to hit someone!   By the way... have i mentioned that there is NO zone loading what-so-ever in this game? Thats right, no zones: even the dungeons are open!

While keeping the above in mind, awnser me the following question: Am i the only one who thinks this game might be a sleeper hit with the potential of drawing more subscribers then Age of Conan or Warhammer in the long run?  Think about all the people who loved SWG pre-cu, AO, AA, FOM, etc etc... i'm sure they will be there to check it out sooner or later. And what about all the reports comming in about AoC being just another generic, overhyped mmo and the posibility that war will suffer the same fate! Considering all these things, does it not fall within the realm of posibilities that this game could actually be - dare i say it? - "the next best thing!"?

Let me know your thoughts on this folks, cheers

Btw, before the fanbois march in and start flaming the shit out of me: Despite me not liking WAR and AoC, i wish both games the best of luck and may the hard work of so many developers be rewarderd accordingly! Keep in mind that the above is just a scenario!

Comments

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Well I think, this game make to much promisses. It will have free pvp with looting corpses and all that stuff that the hardcore pvp people in this forum wanting so much. But this is not what the majority of players want. I doubt that this system will work. A good game should be created by an idea of the developers and not by the idea of the loudes forum whiners, couse they are the first who flame the game if it is not 100% as they want it to be.

But the setting is really nice. I hope they make the pvp a bit more playerfriendly.

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Originally posted by Mari2k

Well I think, this game make to much promisses. It will have free pvp with looting corpses and all that stuff that the hardcore pvp people in this forum wanting so much. But this is not what the majority of players want. I doubt that this system will work. A good game should be created by an idea of the developers and not by the idea of the loudes forum whiners, couse they are the first who flame the game if it is not 100% as they want it to be.
    But the setting is really nice. I hope they make the pvp a bit more playerfriendly.

Not free PvP. Only 1/3'rd of the land is a PvP zone. Inside it you can shoot anyone but your team, but if they are on your side.. Well, goodbye belonging to any sides in the conflict.

Corpse looting isn't full, not WYSIWYG, MAYBE some limited looting of resources and ammo is all we got so far.

Heck, we have the PvP whimpering snotkids crying because the devs didn't want to do a Darkfall on the game. They gave them a bone, and thats about it....

As for FE vs AoC/War ? I dunno... It's like apples and oranges.. One of them is a WoW clone with some extra PvP tacked on, the other is a zoned/loading world with booblets... And both are heavy classbased and level based... Heck, crafting is abysmall in those game. they will attract the WoW kiddies and the combat wombat gamers..but not the social/crafter type players..at all.

While FE is reliant upon skills(AP), got major crafting, got very few instanced/loding zones, give to the PvP'ers and the PvE'ers, no classes.....

If you ask me, FE has a good chance to get big... The playerbase just needs to learn about the game..get some hype going... Thats what made WoW.. 75million spent on advertising

imageThe last of the Trackers

• MystaMysta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by Mari2k

I agree, sadly all of the games that are like "We listen to the community" during developement stages turn out shittttttttttty. Only after the game is released can you start tweaking the game, otherwise you have a bunch of half implemented stuff at launch, bad way to go.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Fortunately, the FE devs themselves are gamers and do NOT worship at the Church of WoW. This game will not be another clone.

As to the PvP system, the devs are not even sure what the final form on looting will be. Everyone,  players and devs, realize that having there be consequences for deaths and repeated deaths (zerging sucks). Also, that there should be rewards and penalties for winning and losing in PvP. But, the final form of the system is not determined yet, and I'm sure that beta will bring refinements.

This game will NOT be a full loot, PvP griefing fest. Aside from a small minority of hardcore PvP types, no one wants that, and the devs have stated this won't be happening, no matter what the "whiners" say.

They seem to building a solid game built on solid PvE, squad based PvP, complex crafting, and exploration. With good guild tools and RP potential, FE has a lot more to offer than the one dimensional, pretty looking shallow games that have come to market lately.

Yeah, I suppose it sounds Fanboish, but to a jaded, ex-player of many recent MMOs, it is the only thing that is of any interest on the horizon.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Warblaze

First of all, this game sets itself apart from all other upcomming releases by being the only mmo that is based on skill, rather then level.  (just like Darkfall)  It contains a truly innovative and meaningful crafting system.  (just like Darkfall) It puts the player in a world that has just suffered through a terrible apocalypse that brought about the destruction of most technology, instead of the old been-there-done-that fantasy or medieval settings we've all grown so accustomed to. (OK, not like DF)  It also offers a kick-ass character customization and lets you choose between 6 unique factions that all have their own distinct abilities!  (just like Darkfall) Forget the old point & click (or click & swing) combat, and say hello to a skill-based fps hybrid that actually takes a keen eye and a steady hand to hit someone!   (amazing, just like Darkfall) By the way... have i mentioned that there is NO zone loading what-so-ever in this game? Thats right, no zones: even the dungeons are open! (look at that, just like Darkfall)

While keeping the above in mind, awnser me the following question: Am i the only one who thinks this game might be a sleeper hit with the potential of drawing more subscribers then Age of Conan or Warhammer in the long run?  (just like Darkfall fans think its the next big thing) Think about all the people who loved SWG pre-cu, AO, AA, FOM, etc etc... i'm sure they will be there to check it out sooner or later. (along with Darkfall?) And what about all the reports comming in about AoC being just another generic, overhyped mmo and the posibility that war will suffer the same fate! (probably true, and may sell hundreds of thousands of copies, unlike DF and FE) Considering all these things, does it not fall within the realm of posibilities that this game could actually be - dare i say it? - "the next best thing!"?

Along with Darkfall, and Mortal Online, and Earth Rising, and probably a few more I can't think of right now.   And they all have one more thing in common, no one has a clue whether their developers can really deliver on their promise or ever release their games.

Let me know your thoughts on this folks, cheers

Btw, before the fanbois march in and start flaming the shit out of me: Despite me not liking WAR and AoC, i wish both games the best of luck and may the hard work of so many developers be rewarderd accordingly! Keep in mind that the above is just a scenario!

And despite my comments, I 'm really looking forward to playing any one of these games, because I do want something different. (I play EVE atm) But I'm not holding my breath until one of these games can really make it to release and deliver what they promise.  I remain skeptical in the meantime.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I am very much looking forward to Fallen Earth.

However, the comparison brought forth in this thread is fundamentally flawed.

One is sci-fi, the others fantasy.

So someone who may like FEs gameplay better, but is not into sci-fi, will pick whichever fantasy one is his favorite. And vice versa.

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

Good point Zorvan, but do you think it really matters that much?   Take World of Warcraft for example, it attracted a whole bunch of people who never even heard about the genre until then. Imagine wow, with the exact same graphics, same gameplay and same functionalities within a sci-fi setting... i strongly believe it would not have made the slightest difference and would be just as successful. Besides, If the juggernaught mmo's turn out to be not so great after all, do you really think people will just walk away from the entire scene and never look back because the best alternative is sci-fi? Nah, most of them will simply be looking for something that looks good, functions good and is fun and challenging regardless of its setting.  It might even contribute to a greater feeling of  "something new and refreshing" so many people within this community are so obsessed about. 

Of course, i'm sure there are people who will only settle for fantasy. But from a general perspective, i dont think it matters that much tbh.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Because they don't have the large-scale advertising budges or the big name IP, Fallen Earth won't be a blockbuster -- at first.

This game won't have 10 millions subs, but 300,000 isn't a crazy estimate.

I predict, and this is only my opinion, that Fallen Earth will start off slow, 100,000 or less.  IF they can deliver updates, possibly expansion, and all the features they promise as of right now, there is no reason the game couldn't eventually be in the 200,000 - 300,000 range.

If the game launches with the features they currently offer, they will have my subscription for sure.

Tecmo Bowl.