Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WS revamp revealed

ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

WS is being completely revamped to return it to being a viable crafting profession again :)  The discussion thread is here, but I'll paste Blixtev's details:

Howdy Munitions Traders!

Loche and I have begun prototype work on the weaponcrafting system and I wanted to give y'all a heads up where we are steering this Update.  When looking at the Top 5 from Munitions most of them really can't be handled in the current method of crafting weapons, and to be honest I really don't want to go in there and have to do some crazy conversion on weapons, crates and components. This leads me to the philosophy we are going to take with this update which is to just add the new methods of crafting weapons and let the old components/crates/looted schematics float out there.  We will be removing any non cored standard schematic from your list unless it is a limited use loot schematic.  If you want to use them go ahead however they will be lacking the stats of the new weaponsmith items you can craft.

On that note we are prototyping a weapons crafting system that works very similar to the armorsmith "cores".  Which involves crafting subcomponents, craft a core with them that is from level 10-90(stats are determined here), place the core into any weapon appearance you have the schematic for.  Since weapon appearances have no intrinsic levels in them you could place a level 90 ranged weapon core into a CDEF if you like, or if you wanted to make a level 12 Intimidator pistol you could.  Class restrictions on certain weapons will remain, so in the Intimidators example it will still be limited to Officers. Small stat enhancements will be added for some weapons at the appearance level, usually for high end looted schematics.

Things like elemetal damage type will be determined at the core level as well, so craft it into your core if you want to put it into whatever appearance you want.  The exception to this is heavy weapons since they need to reflect the gun.  More than likely there will be melee, ranged, and heavy weapons cores so we can make these various tweaks.

Speaking of enhancements/stats on subcomponents, there will be small amount of stats on the new subcomponents however we are leaving the flat value system and basing them on percentages.  This should make enhancements equally useful across the board as a 5% gain is just as useful DPSwise in a rifle as a pistol.  We really don't want to touch the old components such as power handlers, so more than likely the will not get any stats, however they may still be used as a requirement at some level.

Tweaking the weapon crafting system should eliminate about 3 of the professions top 5 issues.  Hopefully this will create a business again for the weaponcrafter as they can make a new weapon core every 2 levels from 10 to 90.  Currently there are huge 14 level gaps between weapons they can craft on Live. Along with this we will look at the frequency of looted weapons to make sure they aren't overly abundant.  High end looted schematics will transition into limited use appearance schematics that you can place any core into if you really want to.

There is an item or two we would like to look at for armorsmithing, however the bulk of our time will be spent with the weaponsmithing code.

Comments

• AmieheAmiehe Member Posts: 24

hmmm, that actually sounds promising....time will tell however

• HastorHadronHastorHadron Member Posts: 187

I actually think those are pretty good ideas, but it is the attempt at implementation that worries me.

• RayRay77RayRay77 Member Posts: 51

I'm sure the two weaponsmiths left will be happy.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

I don't trust these guys to not totally kriff this up.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

"Hopefully this will create a business again for the weaponcrafter as they can make a new weapon core every 2 levels from 10 to 90"

Only for a short time will it create a "market" and real demand....Just after its released, and until all the NGE Fanbois have gotten their weapons made. After that, only the occational transfer from a dead serer will maybe need a weapon or two.

So much for business 101 for these Devs... Non repeat business never works in the long run, and never support many craftsmen.

Morons at SOE.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

The repeat market is made by having all the weapons bio-linked, so besides new players when people respec (and some people respec alot)  they will need new weapons. The fact that the dev stated later on in the thread that player crafted weapons would tend to have higher damage than looted weapons assures alot of business for weaponsmiths.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Sure, sure it will.

Wait for the screw job that is coming weapons components wise, for the few remaining WS crafters. When the new system went in place for AS, all existing components we made useless, and resources that were carefully compiled became useless. The devs came out and said that very thing will happen in this announcement. And the system was dumbed down even further, with fewer places to use experimentation, when AS cores came into being.

Same thing here.

But we know what the monkeys at $OE think about crafters, starting with the head toilet boy moron, Blixtev himself.

They are simply moving chairs around the deck again, while the garbage scow sinks.  No decay = no repeat business and no reason to craft.  Loot/quest rewards better than crafted? No reason to craft. No players = no reason to craft.

No reason to play at all really, even less to craft.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Sure, sure it will.
    Wait for the screw job that is coming weapons components wise, for the few remaining WS crafters. When the new system went in place for AS, all existing components we made useless, and resources that were carefully compiled became useless. The devs came out and said that very thing will happen in this announcement. And the system was dumbed down even further, with fewer places to use experimentation, when AS cores came into being.
    Same thing here.
    But we know what the monkeys at $OE think about crafters, starting with the head toilet boy moron, Blixtev himself.
    They are simply moving chairs around the deck again, while the garbage scow sinks.  No decay = no repeat business and no reason to craft.  Loot/quest rewards better than crafted? No reason to craft. No players = no reason to craft.
    No reason to play at all really, even less to craft.

Not like weapon components have anything to experiment on at the moment.  They curently don't have any stats and due to a bug, you can use the basic components in place of the advanced ones, so complex resources aren't even required.  Adding values to these new components to experiment on will definetly be a step up for current WS's.

Originally posted by Obraik
    Not like weapon components have anything to experiment on at the moment.  They curently don't have any stats and due to a bug, you can use the basic components in place of the advanced ones, so complex resources aren't even required.  Adding values to these new components to experiment on will definetly be a step up for current WS's.

Yeah but the whole profession is still meaningless without some form of decay. Why even bother with a revamp if they aren't going to address that one major flaw in the whole system?

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by RayRay77

Yeah but the whole profession is still meaningless without some form of decay. Why even bother with a revamp if they aren't going to address that one major flaw in the whole system?

You can't say they are not consistent...

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Anytime they make a profession relevant again, I'm happy in some small way for those friends of mine who still play the game.

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Anytime they make a profession relevant again, I'm happy in some small way for those friends of mine who still play the game.

Somebody send me a PM if they actually manage to make a profession relevant again.

It sounds like bio-links will be added to weapons so that all new weapons must come from a Weaponsmith, rather then second hand.  That will help a little, but if they also make it so that the caps can't be reached right on day 1 of the new system that will help more as people will be wanting to upgrade their weapons as new values are reached then that will go further.  If they also keep up with adding new weapons with chapters then that too will keep people returning to their WS's.

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

Waits on the borked half implamented version.

then the nerf crys

• infrared1infrared1 Member UncommonPosts: 440

No decay = no economy

Why can't people see this?

As in real life things tend to break or wear out, hence you purchase a new one when the time comes. Nothing lasts forever, and nothing comes free. This is what makes a good economy ; exchanging money for goods and services rendered, 24/7. This must be accomplished by the players only. They have to make the demand. This is what the economy was pre-CU.

Nowadays it's; loot the best stuff and have to buy occational goods for misc. reasons. No decay.

The dev's have made SOME headway but until they can go take an economics class  and learn what makes a good economy, there will never be an economic recovery in this game. 

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367
    *this reply was not proper*
  • mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367
    Not like weapon components have anything to experiment on at the moment.  They curently don't have any stats and due to a bug, you can use the basic components in place of the advanced ones, so complex resources aren't even required.

Seriously, do you honestly believe that's a bug and not by design? 

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897
    Originally posted by Mathos

Waits on the borked half implamented version.

then the nerf crys

still waiting lol

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

Without real experimentation and resource statistics that matter crafting in swg is nothing more then assembly of schematics, which is lame and boring.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Originally posted by RayRay77

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Somebody send me a PM if they actually manage to make a profession relevant again.

Lol, tbh, I'll believe it when/if I see it.  Trying to restore in bits and pieces what was taken from the game in one night is definitely not my prefered model of improving the game, or rebuilding trust with consumers.

I've said over and over again that most people (those not subscribing that used to) do not want to be strung along by promises that some aspects of what they lost may eventually be restored in some new format.

If I wanted my SWG game and community back, I'd want the whole thing restored.  SOE/LA could have done this, but chose not to.  They could have done this with rollbacks and then later with a classic server option, but no, they chose to keep the game format that none of the players wanted or even knew about, and slowly over the course of years, reintroduce things that they took away.  Not my cup of tea.

Still, a very few of my friends that used to play the game still do.  Anytime they get some small token of what used to be restored to them, I guess I'm happy for them, in a small way.  I'd be even happier if a new StarWars MMO came out though that wasn't run by the same people that gave these friends the shaft.

Originally posted by haxxjoo

Without real experimentation and resource statistics that matter crafting in swg is nothing more then assembly of schematics, which is lame and boring.

Uh, these are still present in crafting today...

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Not like they used to be.

Now, with the exception of  chef and a bit in SW, just about everything can be maxed with 10 or fewer points and/or only has a single experimentation bar. Very  little thought is needed for crafting anymore, just like the rest of the game. No reading, and mashing buttons.

Might as well put in a big "craft now" button that does everything for you, and remove the pretense.....

Originally posted by Burntvet

Not like they used to be.

Now, with the exception of  chef and a bit in SW, just about everything can be maxed with 10 or fewer points and/or only has a single experimentation bar. Very  little thought is needed for crafting anymore, just like the rest of the game. No reading, and mashing buttons.

Might as well put in a big "craft now" button that does everything for you, and remove the pretense.....

I wouldn't mind seeing the return of more experimentation lines to some of the stuff I make on a daily basis.   The more recent items they've added for crafters have had multiple lines to experiment on (such as all the beast master stuff and the new weapons) so I'd like to assume the WS revamp will include multiple experimentation lines. 

Even those items that do only have one valid experimentation line still require you to keep an eye on your resource stats.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

AoC coming out today, WAR soon to follow...  Give it up, SWG will be even more dead than it is now.  They took too long to do anything and now it's far, far too late.  Hopefully Bioware will put this thing out of its misery before much longer.

Tecmo Bowl.

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910

Along with this we will look at the frequency of looted weapons to make sure they aren't overly abundant.

That's very good news for crafters.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.