Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reasons to Play?

Ive checked out the Videos of this game and looks like it has alot of potential..so what do you guys think that makes this game have potential?

Comments

• conanownsconanowns Member Posts: 114
    This is def a niche game. The game will not be fast paced. The combat will take strategy and skill to be successful. If you like boats, history, simulation type stuff then you'll like it. I don't think it will appeal to most mmo'ers out there tho.

• WickedMouseWickedMouse Member Posts: 32

It has depth. It's not only the 'hot action', like you would have in WWII Online, but more than that. First of all you are free to choose which career you would like to do: join the Navy, be a merchant or a privateer or a nasty pirate. In the game you can build up your skills by practice and build up your reputation for your nation to unlock better rewards/equipment/missions.

This page will tell you more about it:
    http://www.flyinglab.com/pirates/about.php
    For the FAQ, the best place you could visit is here:
    http://www.burningseacommunity.com/modules.php?name=cfaq
    Read the Dev Logs and you know what they're up to:
    http://www.burningseacommunity.com/modules.php?name=Dev_Log

You can compare it to EVE-Online a bit. Except Planets are Island, stations are ports and there is no "zoning".

• airplane50airplane50 Member UncommonPosts: 84

i just check out the FAQ and i find out this game require boardband to play... sounds good. kinda high end game

========================
    Auto-answer BOT:you are one of the human being around university who is looking at me.
    Auto-answer BOT: so i will give you my bless. ===> Holy strike

• WispasWispas Member Posts: 15

Another reason to play is its DIFFERENT!  As the MMO industry continues to evolve I think gamers will look to niche products that do things differently.

COH is different and is successful (Im not a fan..but points for originality)

EVE is different and VERY successful..

AO has thrived for years due to its skill based/level based originality and unique enviornment.

I think as long as games line up to take a shot at being the next EQ or DAOC that many many will fail..a few will break through and flourish but most will go the way of Horizons..

ORIGINALITY!! wins the day in the coming years..Pirates has this!

Wispas

Huzzah! image

• RedLegsRedLegs Member Posts: 22
     The reason I want to play is because I want to be a Pirate. Not only will I be hunted buy the bounty hunters but the npc navy. Never ending fight for life and adventure in the open sea. The thought of belonging to a large Pirate guild and raviging the sea with me Pirate freinds. Maby taking a small Island and making it our own Pirate Island with a town. image

• darkwaterdarkwater Member Posts: 4

Yeah, personally I'm interested in trying because it is so different from other games out there now.  After years of playing fantasy based MMOs where all you do is run around slaying monsters, here comes something a little different.  I never tried EVE, simply because sci-fi is just not my thing, but I've always been interested in naval history so I think I just might give this a shot.

Also, since there wont be a box for it, and its a free download, signing up for a month to try it out isn't too hard on my pocket if it turns out I don't enjoy it.

Will also be interesting to see how far they can push it with the broadband requirement as well, now they don't have to worry about lag for 56.6ers (who are a dying breed anyway, at least here in Canada).

Originally posted by darkwater

Also, since there wont be a box for it, and its a free download,

That's not certain yet.

• PhaZon7PhaZon7 Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by RedLegs
     The reason I want to play is because I want to be a Pirate. Not only will I be hunted buy the bounty hunters but the npc navy. Never ending fight for life and adventure in the open sea. The thought of belonging to a large Pirate guild and raviging the sea with me Pirate freinds. Maby taking a small Island and making it our own Pirate Island with a town. image

So....ARE you in a pirate guild? ::::02::

HMS Progeny--

International Forces - Forums

• RedLegsRedLegs Member Posts: 22

So....ARE you in a pirate guild?

Arr no Im not but one thing fer shure Im a simple Pirate that knows that with out pirate freinds I would be nothing. Fer ya see me Pirate freinds would be the best at what they do so well and what I might not be able to do alone me Pirate freinds will be able to do. And then I learn from them and they from me and we be stronger. And after we split the loot drink de rum and plan fer the next plunder. image

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Most of what other people have said is dead on the money. There's alot of hype surrounding WoW, and EQ2, but frankly I am sick of the same ole, same ole. Then there's the fact that I come to the game with a group of my recreationist friends that plan on playing pirates alongside myself. The fact that it's a slower paced game with player skill, and strategy playing a larger part than owning the uber Saber of Pirate Slaying +5 is just the icing on the cake.

And watching the combat vid just makes the hairs on me neck stand up, something I don't get from EQ2, WoW, or any of the soon to be released games.

-------
    I was never what you wanted, I could never never please.
    I swallowed all our sorrow in the midst of my disease.
    All my fortunes, all my gains, all the battles I have won...
    Now collapsing like the rain, I stand alone, your only son...

Take some solace in these words, take notice of this place.
    Hollow whispers that they are, like the wind upon my face.
    Sing softly in my ear and look at me with wonder.
    I will try to ease your fear as the darkness pulls you under.

• D2souljaD2soulja Member Posts: 17
    image Im not sure about this game i have been checking out since they talked about it on this site. I mean yes it looks good but how will the gameplay turn out you know. I think the players are the ships right to bad we can't be characters. But still i wonder about it becuae of all the ships and the massive water enviroment it is said it spreads for Amstardam to some where is that's alot of space to wonder in. well it's jus that i am onfused about the game i need to read up on it.

The ship isn't your character. Your character is the captain (no visual representation yet, that's correct), commanding his crew, operating the ship.
    The game hasn't even gone beta yet. In the beta all things regarding to fun and gameplay will be tested. So if the world seems to be too big to be fun, then they will adjust it.
    The 'space' is only the windward islands of the Caribbean. Check the game map. So no whole Atlantic ocean.

This is going to be a game, meant to be fun, not a naval simulator.

• D2souljaD2soulja Member Posts: 17
    LOL okay, thanks for the info.. I can't wait for the beta to come out. LOl even if there is a chance i won't be picked. And i will go and check out that map, because i surly don't want it to be an Naval Sim lol.image

• Fat_BuddhaFat_Buddha Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by Coldmeat

Most of what other people have said is dead on the money. There's alot of hype surrounding WoW, and EQ2, but frankly I am sick of the same ole, same ole. Then there's the fact that I come to the game with a group of my recreationist friends that plan on playing pirates alongside myself. The fact that it's a slower paced game with player skill, and strategy playing a larger part than owning the uber Saber of Pirate Slaying +5 is just the icing on the cake.
    And watching the combat vid just makes the hairs on me neck stand up, something I don't get from EQ2, WoW, or any of the soon to be released games.

image  yes! WoW is cool but its the "same" i played Ultima Online for 2 years  and i got tired of slaying monsters over, and over, and over. i think that this game will be a hit with the people to play it because it lets evryone be a hero in their own lunchbox :)

• lyzzlyzz Member Posts: 3

Hi everyone from the official PotBS forums! image 

Anyway, here's why I'm looking forward to playing:

- it's all skill based, no "lvl 27 pirates" here :) I've always loved skill based systems, like in UO and when I played the trial for EVE.

- it's different

- it has pirates! who doesn't like pirates? image

- combat is going to be more strategic. No more "click and wait until it's dead" stuff!

- open PvP!!! That combined with more interesting combat and their reputation system should be really fun

• tricontricon Member Posts: 141

Any knows whether there will be boarding party battles? Or duels between the captains?image

The Best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.

Originally posted by tricon

Any knows whether there will be boarding party battles? Or duels between the captains?image

Not yet. For now (in the current state of development) when you board you will see only a window pop up. A bit like Age of Sails 2, I think. But no further details are given out by the devs yet. Also avatars, visual representations of your little captain, are heavily under development. Very little is known about that at this point.

• tricontricon Member Posts: 141
    Hmm ok. Thanks for the info!image

The Best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.

• shohenshohen Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Thats exactly how I feel about it RedLegs... Though being a bounty hunter would be very nice too. Definently gonna give this one a try.

Shohen