Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrade to 64 bit? xp or vista?

After reading several posts about PC performance regarding AoC. I'm concerned if I should spend the extra $ to upgrade from XP 32bit to either XP 64 or Vista 64......Will I see any improvement in (AoC)game performance with the 32/64 upgrade?

What kind of framerates/settings can I expect running 1280X1024 as it stands now?

System specs:

AMD 6000 X2 3.0 ghz

7200 rpm WD Caviar 250HD

2 each BFG 8800 GT OC'd 512(SLI'd)

4 gigs PC 6400 800 MHZ(running xp 32 atm though)

X-fi extreme gamer sound card

Asus M2N-SLI Motherboard

Comments

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

Don't get a 64 bit operating system if you're going to play games. The games aren't being written to take advantage of the 64 bit channels and can do more harm than good.

You're system should run AoC like a dream.  If I were you I'd stick with XP, unless you feel like you need DX10. And if that is the case, buy the 32 bit edition.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Raunu

Don't get a 64 bit operating system if you're going to play games. The games aren't being written to take advantage of the 64 bit channels and can do more harm than good.
    You're system should run AoC like a dream.  If I were you I'd stick with XP, unless you feel like you need DX10. And if that is the case, buy the 32 bit edition.

With 4 gigs of RAM I have heard just the opposite, to use vista 64 bit.  I will need to do some more research and post the urls.

• WiccanCircleWiccanCircle Member Posts: 336

Originally posted by airborne519

With 4 gigs of RAM I have heard just the opposite, to use vista 64 bit.  I will need to do some more research and post the urls.

Curious myself.  I am getting Vista 64-bit anyhow (will be installed before my patch tomorrow) 

I don't actually have any hard data, just a hunch.  But here is my thought process on why 64-bit will be better. 

One - I want DX10, I am spoiled and I want it, simple as that.

Two - AoC seems to be a memory hog with an insatiable hunger.  Vista will allow me to recognize al 8-Gigs of RAM.

"The reality of the poor in America isn't the difference between The Haves and The Have Nots, it is the difference between The Haves and The Have Lots."

• chicken0chicken0 Member Posts: 13

You're system should run AoC like a dream. If I were you I'd stick with XP, unless you feel like you need DX10. And if that is the case, buy the 32 bit edition.

64 bit works perfectly fine. Age of Conan isn't a game from three years ago.

If you want to use 4gb of memory (which you really should for AoC), then get a 64 bit OS. I suggest Vista over XP. XP will have limited support soon, whereas Vista should be going strong for a while.

• lexlocilexloci Member Posts: 46

Wrong, AoC has been stated to include 64bit version.

It wont take advantage of the 64bit architecture, but it certainly wont be hindered by it.  I wish I could find the link, but i'm at work.  I think the following video includes the statement, but I don't have sound either so I can't confirm.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/31496

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by lexloci 

It wont take advantage of the 64bit architecture, but it certainly wont be hindered by it.  I wish I could find the link, but i'm at work.  I think the following video includes the statement, but I don't have sound either so I can't confirm.

It will have a 64bit .exe, to allow it to run on a 64bit OS, but it will still use 32bit libraries.

• lexlocilexloci Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by LethalBurst

Originally posted by lexloci 

It will have a 64bit .exe, to allow it to run on a 64bit OS, but it will still use 32bit libraries.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to say but couldn't remember the verbage for.

• seabluesseablues Member Posts: 58

DON'T TELL ANYONE

ultimate vx64 RUNS GREAT

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

It is urban myth that 32 bit xp / vista can not take advantage of 4 gig ram.

It can adress bit less than 4 ... 3.8 gig i think. But that is not a reason to take the most optimal operating system for pc today. And thats windows xp 32.bit

Originally posted by Lobotomist

It is urban myth that 32 bit xp / vista can not take advantage of 4 gig ram.
    It can adress bit less than 4 ... 3.8 gig i think. But that is not a reason to take the most optimal operating system for pc today. And thats windows xp 32.bit
    Actually thats a FACT

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245572-30-tomshardware

15 mins left

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Don't believe all the bad things you hear about Vista or the 64bit version.

I have been running Vista Ultimate 64bit for 3months now and have had ZERO problems with it. You would be surprised how many things are being made for 64bit os' now. '

So yes, I'd say go for it. Get 64bit and you wont go back =P

Originally posted by majinant

I have been running Vista Ultimate 64bit for 3months now and have had ZERO problems with it. You would be surprised how many things are being made for 64bit os' now. '

LOL,

I have Vista 64 it runs GREAT!!! GRGRGR!!!!! you were trying to say the 4GB barrier doesn't exist with 32-bit macines.  IT DOES

that is all

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by seablues

Originally posted by majinant

LOL,

I have Vista 64 it runs GREAT!!! GRGRGR!!!!! you were trying to say the 4GB barrier doesn't exist with 32-bit macines.  IT DOES

that is all

Huh what? I never said it doesn't exist. I know it does. I just said that 64bit vista is awesome... -.-