Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As usual Funcom blew it

OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

As usual they included far too powerful stealth without enough counters.  Why won't these developers get a clue how every feature needs a counterbalance?

The ffa-pvp servers will be crowded with stealthers.  Stealth should be limited to shadows and non daylight hours. There also needs to be classes that have counters to stealth, like tracking or make visible spells.  Without some kind of controls this game is just another joke.

Comments

• CaligulugCaligulug Member Posts: 283

Oh well I guess we will see on the news any day now that every one at Funcom hung them selves because a guy named Ozman declared they "blew it".

They will never have a chance to you know "balance" stealth or any other aspect of their game cause just like every other MMO the code is written in stone and un-editable after the game releases.

• marion242marion242 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Every character I played had both hide and perception as choices. Some higher limits and bonuses to either but you had to choose to put points there.  You want to see stealth put the points in perception. I like that their solution was to put stealth in the players hand and the same with perception. It also makes the player make a choice as to how to build thier character.

• SGoodyerSGoodyer Member Posts: 192

I played a Assassin, Ranger, and Conqueror. I was able to kill Rangers and Assassins with ease as Conqueror, long as I wasn't pre-occupied by 2 other people. Rangers do need a nerf badly considering the damage output, snares and stealth but its not that game breaking. Might I also add that stealth wasn't fully utilized in this BETA. I'm sure they are going to have a work around even if it takes a week or 2 to properly even it out.

• leowyattleowyatt Member Posts: 129

wow... i had something to say but went crazy with the backspace button, don't want to waste my time.

btw there is a counter to stealthers, its a lil skill called search. 

• tripmodetripmode Member Posts: 84

There is a skill now called Perception that you can pump points into.  As this skill goes higher, you can see stealthers better, especially in open areas (shadows do give a stealth bonus).

That being said, I think it is bugged right now in OB.

• OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467

Originally posted by marion242

Every character I played had both hide and perception as choices. Some higher limits and bonuses to either but you had to choose to put points there.  You want to see stealth put the points in perception. I like that their solution was to put stealth in the players hand and the same with perception. It also makes the player make a choice as to how to build thier character.

shhh....don't try and reason with them....*cough* yep man those funcom guys blew it alright big time....wow they are all in for the chopping board come a week on  monday  *cough*

:)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
  • SGoodyerSGoodyer Member Posts: 192

Indeed it is bugged. I could see Rogues stealth if they were close to a torch or in sunlight and follow them lol.

• DrevnarDrevnar Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by SGoodyer

Indeed it is bugged. I could see Rogues stealth if they were close to a torch or in sunlight and follow them lol.

That actually means that stealth is pretty much working perfectly. In AoC, Stealth is not supposed to be invisibility. You are supposed to use the terrain to stealth effectivly and every class has the ability to both invest points in "hiding" and in "perception" in order to make sure that no one has a huge advantage when it comes to stealth.

Rising Arms.
    {{ Site | Forums | ">Recruitment }}
    Rethaul, Dark Templar and squad leader of Scions of War

• MordriaMordria Member Posts: 556

Originally posted by Oriphus

shhh....don't try and reason with them....*cough* yep man those funcom guys blew it alright big time....wow they are all in for the chopping board come a week on  monday  *cough*

hehe...  Umm, yeah horrible game, and the graphics ughh... and don't even get me started on the soundtrack.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

There are counters... and Funcom has done a great job.  There will be class imbalance it is still in beta.  Classes will be balanced for the life of the game. 

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

I cannot stealth, but I could take some points and put it into perception?

Naw...let me put it into something else so I can complain

Yea...thats the ticket!

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571

I doubt he knows what skill points are, just like my friend that said 'casters suck, everytime I get hit it cancels my cast.'

• DruzDruz Member Posts: 276

The thing is the OP is kind've right... there is a certain sillyness to running int someone who is hiding in the middle of a raod in broad daylight...

When they announced everyone could stealth I was under the impression it would have limits so rediculous things like that would not occur..

For those of you saying to pour points into perception are missing the point.. no amount of points is going to reveal a stealthed mage waiting for you to get within range to stun and nuke you to death before you even see him.

It is beta and it needs to be addressed

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

Originally posted by Druz

The thing is the OP is kind've right... there is a certain sillyness to running int someone who is hiding in the middle of a raod in broad daylight...

When they announced everyone could stealth I was under the impression it would have limits so rediculous things like that would not occur..

For those of you saying to pour points into perception are missing the point.. no amount of points is going to reveal a stealthed mage waiting for you to get within range to stun and nuke you to death before you even see him.

It is beta and it needs to be addressed

Non rogue classes stealth way worse than rogues.

I saw all the tiem people who stealthed no matter what. Kinda funny stealthing up to a non-rogue class and stab them ;D

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• fantarosfantaros Member Posts: 394

I think FC's implementation of stealth is amazing. People have been crying about stealth attacks for ages. In AoC u can give them a taste of their own medicine

Imagine a tank backstabbing an assassin. Comedy gold. Two for FC on this

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Mordria

hehe...  Umm, yeah horrible game, and the graphics ughh... and don't even get me started on the soundtrack.

Yea...and OMG the animations...they totally sucked.   I mean...my God what the hell was Funcom smoking when they did those horrible combat animations.

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by Mordria

Yea...and OMG the animations...they totally sucked.   I mean...my God what the hell was Funcom smoking when they did those horrible combat animations.

I agree...I mean...look for examples in games like,...say WoW...

It is so realistic, and lifelike, the way the models move in WoW is incredible...

• SevensoddSevensodd Member Posts: 322

good god im sick of all these people who bitch and moan about a game THATS NOT EVEN OUT YET.  They bitch about how they're so dissapointed because they THINK the game will be a certain way.  At the very least wait until you have tried it AFTER release.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Sevensodd

good god im sick of all these people who bitch and moan about a game THATS NOT EVEN OUT YET.  They bitch about how they're so dissapointed because they THINK the game will be a certain way.  At the very least wait until you have tried it AFTER release.

here is a clue. When a company has a open beta with no NDA, pretty much what you see is what is coming out on release day. Just speaking for myself here but if a resturant is handing out free samples the week before they open and it tastes like a 3 day old dead rat on a stick, I'll be damned if I am going to pay 50 bucks the next week to see if the meal inside is better.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog

here is a clue. When a company has a open beta with no NDA, pretty much what you see is what is coming out on release day. Just speaking for myself here but if a resturant is handing out free samples the week before they open and it tastes like a 3 day old dead rat on a stick, I'll be damned if I am going to pay 50 bucks the next week to see if the meal inside is better.

My problem is ...you also said that the day OB started, yet the new patch released near the end of the week made it a whole new game, with different performance, visuals, etc..

In so many words...no it was NOT the game you would see...i.e: you did not see what you would get...

And, I am willing to bet release will even have some differences in place as well..but, i would not have any issue if they had released with what I was playing on Friday, as the game was truly fun, and well done...barring the normal issues EVERY OTHER MMO has...even the supposedly "stable" games..

Later

• maxx028maxx028 Member UncommonPosts: 69

Originally posted by Jackdog

No. More like a restaraunt packing in as many people as it can to see how many people it can serve without the staff quiting.  the OB is  a stress  test first and foremost. I'll check reviews when I get back from vacation a week after release. Then I'll make my desision if it "tastes like dead rat" or not.

• Cypher13Cypher13 Member Posts: 4

Couldnt agree with you more.  Ive been in the open beta and cant say ive been blown away from what ive seen so far but its a beta at the end of the day. So im not running out to cancel my pre-order or jumping on the forums to express disappointment.

Im going to wait and play the proper full release for a while and make an opinion then.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Why can't stealth make sense? If you're some supernatural evil dude who can bend shadows and use it as a cloak, then yeah maybe the stealth in these types of games makes sense. But really, I'm a big strong warrior-type. I run behind a tree. I see a nooby lookin ranger run by. I jump him. I was stealthed, wasn't I?

That's why imo the whole mechanic of stealth in MMOs is stupid. But I think it'll be a while before we can hide behind rocks, trees, and tall grass and think of it as stealth.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.