Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all the new and future FFXI players.

2»

Comments

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

I do think it's a decent game in many ways.  I love the atmosphere and the world in general.  And since I got my character well past level 30, I think it's fair to say I gave the game a chance.

But I have to say, from a gameplay perspective, other games are just easier to enjoy.  I don't want to have to "be patient" when I'm playing a video game.  It just doesn't make any sense to me.  I have to "be patient" all day long at work.  When I'm paying to play a game, I don't want to have to put quite so much effort into FORCING the game to let me have a good time.

If your game comes with the disclaimer, "We know this part is boring, and these other things are awful, BUT ..."  Well, maybe you need to reconsider whether you have a game or a torture device in a pretty setting.

• edmonaledmonal Member Posts: 188

Maybe, maybe not. I find most MMOs boring after a while. If there is an extensive storyline for me to follow (and not the "epic" quests from EQ2) then that may entertain me more than the standard MMO.

• Bucs420Bucs420 Member Posts: 28

Yes there is some people that just dont have the patience to play this game. When SE made this game they wanted to make something that was set in a fantasy world. But added in things that we deal with in a real life setting as well. There was a method to their maddness. This is the only game where you truely feel a since of accomplishment when you do something. For example:  If your camping a NM for a rare item theres always going to be people out there camping aginst you. Lets say that NM pops every 24hrs and the drops only like 20%. Ok so youve camped it for over a week, maybe was able to get the claim once over everybody else and no drop. That sux. But what if the next time you try and you get the claim plus the drop. I guerentee that will make your day if not make your whole week. Youll be so happy that you got it because you worked so hard for it. Theres a whole different feeling over anything youll ever play when you do something on FFXI.

I started playing WoW before i played FFXI. Dont get me wrong WoWs a great game but everythings just handed to you. You really dont have to work too hard for anything. After awile it just started getting boring. So i Quit. Ive seen this senario alot with people that quit WoW and joined FFXI. FFXI is challenging in every way. You have to work hard for it, just like in real life. And thats why its so addicting and when people get into the higher levels youll never see them quit to go to another game. Theirs a reason why they put that warning before you log in. This game will suck you in and never let go.

Its only as good as what you put into it. Yes the lvl grinding gets tedius but when you reach lvl75 thats when the game actually starts. The leveling is just getting you prepared for the craziness of all the stuff level 75s do. And thats ALOT of stuff.

As far as forcing the game to be fun I dont think you truely tried to have fun yourself. Grouping for exp is only like a fraction of things to do. So if you were bored than you cant blame the game. Maybe you werent looking hard enough for things to do.

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238

Well the game is install updated and i've been playing for about an hour, just setting things up and getting my controlls right, and basically seeing what there is to do, I've done 2 quests so far, but they do seem hard and you don't get any real guidance of where anything or anyone is, and I find it a bit odd not getting health back after attacking something, no health regen at all is a little alien to me. I've tried the rest but nothing seems to happen there either. My gf's lil bro has just installed the game on his xbox so we should start playing together tomorrow and hopefully my gf will start tomorrow too, so we can help each other out :D

I've tried searching ur name Bucs but you don't seem to be online, I hope I'm on the right server lol, I did select Alexander server so it should be right lol

I haven't got much exp so far to lvl up but my skills are coming up, I kept dieing and didn't know what the stone was for lol. So first impressions are mixed, the controls are ok, but the lack of guidence or tutorial to help you with things is a bit odd really, it would be nice to know who has quests for me, and maybe even where to go to do them.

lol ill be on in a bit to show you some stuff. Stone is one of your spells. Not getting a hp or mp regen isnt going to last. Theres spells later on that will give you all that back so it cuts down on resting quite a bit. Higher lvls you dont really rest that much. Id suggest just kinda checking out your hometown. get familiar with the ah, crafting guilds, npc shops exc. theres also an event going on as well just outside of your home town. You can go out there. It requires everybody to be level 1 so youll be fine. Group up with somebody and ask them some questions about the game as well. People are very helpful so dont be shy. Also remember, This isnt a WoW type game. Quests are just used on here to get fame and items you can use or sell at the AH. In my opinion it was hard for me to get through the first couple levels as a BLM. Theyre so squishy and cant melee worth nothing. Theyre more meant for sitting far away and throwing bombs. When you start getting higher levels youll see what i mean. They can do some serious damage. when they solo from lvls 40-75, they can 1 shot most of the experience monsters their fighting :O

But yea ill be on in a bit. whats your charactors name? 

Crazysheep is my name, but the game doesn't like Alt+Tab lol, crashes everytime. I'm now lvl 2 by killing those bee things, the controls have grown on me now and I'm using my xbox 360 controller so its quite nice just sitting back and playing. Talking seems a bit arkward tho, can't seem to find an easy way to chat to ppl lol. I haven't done the crafting side yet, might look into that tomorrow, I am extremely glad that you can train in every craft and after lvl 60 max one out, so it allows you to try them all and then specailise in one. But I'm going to bed now as its been a hectic day and yesturday was the same, time to catch up on some much needed sleep, hopefully see you on there tomorrow, I should be on after 3:30pm(GMT), me and my posse lol.

If on the 360 you can just plug in your PC keyboard into it and itll work. You dont even want to attempt to have a conversation with the controller lol. If you do find yourself playing ffxi for a long time id recommend getting the 360 messengers. little keyboards that attach to your 360 controller. My gf and i both use those and theyre so convienant.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Bucs420

Yes there is some people that just dont have the patience to play this game. When SE made this game they wanted to make something that was set in a fantasy world. But added in things that we deal with in a real life setting as well. There was a method to their maddness. This is the only game where you truely feel a since of accomplishment when you do something. For example:  If your camping a NM for a rare item theres always going to be people out there camping aginst you. Lets say that NM pops every 24hrs and the drops only like 20%. Ok so youve camped it for over a week, maybe was able to get the claim once over everybody else and no drop. That sux. But what if the next time you try and you get the claim plus the drop. I guerentee that will make your day if not make your whole week. Youll be so happy that you got it because you worked so hard for it. Theres a whole different feeling over anything youll ever play when you do something on FFXI.
    I started playing WoW before i played FFXI. Dont get me wrong WoWs a great game but everythings just handed to you. You really dont have to work too hard for anything. After awile it just started getting boring. So i Quit. Ive seen this senario alot with people that quit WoW and joined FFXI. FFXI is challenging in every way. You have to work hard for it, just like in real life. And thats why its so addicting and when people get into the higher levels youll never see them quit to go to another game. Theirs a reason why they put that warning before you log in. This game will suck you in and never let go.
    Its only as good as what you put into it. Yes the lvl grinding gets tedius but when you reach lvl75 thats when the game actually starts. The leveling is just getting you prepared for the craziness of all the stuff level 75s do. And thats ALOT of stuff.
    As far as forcing the game to be fun I dont think you truely tried to have fun yourself. Grouping for exp is only like a fraction of things to do. So if you were bored than you cant blame the game. Maybe you werent looking hard enough for things to do.

Ack! I know you probably thought that sounded good, and maybe it does to some people, but camping a rare spawn for a week or more,  to get some a rare drop does not give me a sense of accomplishment. It's even worse if you have to compete for the rare spawn. A once a day spawn that only has a 20% drop rate? That's just not fun to me. There was a lot of that in the original EQ and I hated it.  It never felt like I accomplished something. It felt more like I had endured something and I was relieved that it was finally over. 

I'm not a fan of deliberate time sink stuff. There are some aspects of this game that interest me, but I'm guessing there are some aspects that I would really hate. 

Btw,  nice work on the jobs list.   I noticed that you list their soloing potential.  I was under the impression that soloing wasn't possible beyond the lower levels.

lol yea i can see were people are like wtf!? In general i was talking about King Arthro. All the FFXI players know hes a B*%@$ to camp. But he drops like one of the best belts in the game. Theres only a few NMs on the game like that so its not too common. Plus the way you camp him is by getting the time of death. Than you just go out there when he spawns :)

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

will I need all the expantions when I start? They sell the game with the first 2 expantions included and I'm thinking of buying it, so if its good I'll get it.

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Ingvar

will I need all the expantions when I start? They sell the game with the first 2 expantions included and I'm thinking of buying it, so if its good I'll get it.

Uh 4 expansions!  If your being offered a collection with just 2 expansions someone is trying to screw u!  You can buy the game + all 4 expansions for $30!

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Hey all,

I tried this game out 1-2 years ago. I'll admit that I didn't make it past the first day. At the time, I was drawn to the game due to it being a heavy grouping game. At the time, I could afford to play for hours. I quit the first day due to the lack of direction, plus I died my first fight. I am a great game player believe it or not and have never died my first fight. This shows how bad their fighting tuturial is or the lack of one (can't really remember). The PC controls were also horrible, but I didn't know you could use a PS2 controller. If I would have known that, I probably would have gave it more than a day. The controls is what I hated the most and couldn't adapt to. There weren't any people to help me out either. I started in this big city, can't remember the name, but I was a Human or whatever FF equivalent is for Humans.

Right now, as good as the game sounds, I still couldn't play it. For one, I don't have endless hours to wait for a group or to spend grinding. I have around 3 hours to get on, do what I want to do, and get off. I also am not fond of tradeskills and crafting. In real life, I have a career and I specialize in it. I don't make my own clothes, create my own food, and etc and I don't want to do it in a game either. I won't play a game that won't let me get ahead by just participating in what I find fun, which is adventuring and killing stuff. EQ 2 had that problem, which is why I left. I like the fact that you can just adventure and level in WoW and can make money by selling the drops you get. However, I don't really like WoW, so I don't play it.

I love games where you can just log in, join a group, and starting grinding. Hell, my first and most favorite game is DAoC. I grinded all the time. The beauty of DAoC though, was that you could find a group quickly and could leave just as quick without gaining a bad reputation. I wouldn't want a bad rep in FF because I cannot stay and fight for several hours and I've heard that reputation is key when wanting quick invites for groups.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

Well I've been playing the game for about 3-4 days now, i'm a lvl 5 red mage elvann, the controls are a lot better if you use a controller and tune it up, the graphics is fine if you up the res etc in the config. Grouping, well I haven't really got that far, so far I've been able to group if or when I've needed to straight away, I don't know if its luck or wat but seems easy enough to me so far.

Things i'm a little p****ed about is that it seems to be an endless grind like pretty much every eastern game, you don't get exp for quests or missions(you get rank points tho), the only time you do get exp for a quest or mission is if u have to kill something during the mission. This concept is a bit alien to me, from playing Wow, and about 1 million different free mmorpgs, where you get exp for completing a quest, its the first game I've found that you don't.

Also even at low lvls you lose exp for dying, 10 exp or 20 exp wouldn't be that bad, but I just got killed for a 'decent challenge' and lost 200 exp, even if I killed it i would get only 100 exp if i were lucky. This just simply baffles me, they have a 'check' system, to find out if you could kill the creature or not, and normally decent challenges are easy, but this time I stood no chance even tho I can heal lol. Conciquently I lost my lvl and went back down to lvl 5, from being so happy that I was now lvl 6, I then left the game after I died for a second time fighting a easy mob and then one appearing behind me and kicking the *beep* out of me, so I probably have less exp than I started with today, yey lol. Also one mob can be really easy, then the same mob around the corner can be extremely hard and kill you easily, this is...different lol, but thats why you have to check every mob as some are 'decent challenges' some are 'tough,' tough as in uber hard, you will get wooped lol

The lack of direction or help, or even tutorial is very odd too, you have to really rely on higher lvls to help you get around or find things out, or do what I do and have a wiki on one monitor and play on the other lol.

This game does have its plus's, ppl on the game are very friendly, the npcs are all interactive and not carboard cutouts, the quests are varied and different, everyone seems to have a story and each quest links the stories and makes you involved with them. The missions are a good idea as it allows you to help your home town and be someone, which is hard to find in any mmo. There are lots of crafting and hobbies that can keep you entertained but you do seem to either be loaded to be able to get started or put in hours maybe even days to get the materials even at the start. The animations are superb, from your clothes moving as you do spells and it makes it look kind of real, or as real as could be for someone making magic from their hands lol.

So with all this I'm still undesided on the game, I know I haven't spent to long in the game but I think I can paint a pretty close picture of how the game is, with my knowledge of the wiki too lol. The flaws, I don't know if there is a work around from them, as they are part of the game, I don't know if I'll learn to ignore them or what but seems all very odd to me. I'm glad I'm try the game tho, its fun but can be annoying at the same time, I'm trying to like it more than its giving back tho, maybe when my gf desides to play, it may become more fun, i don't know.

Originally posted by sbanting
     This just simply baffles me, they have a 'check' system, to find out if you could kill the creature or not, and normally decent challenges are easy, but this time I stood no chance even tho I can heal lol. Conciquently I lost my lvl and went back down to lvl 5, from being so happy that I was now lvl 6, I then left the game after I died for a second time fighting a easy mob and then one appearing behind me and kicking the *beep* out of me, so I probably have less exp than I started with today, yey lol. Also one mob can be really easy, then the same mob around the corner can be extremely hard and kill you easily, this is...different lol, but thats why you have to check every mob as some are 'decent challenges' some are 'tough,' tough as in uber hard, you will get wooped lol
    Beginner's guide to /check

The first time a bunny rabbit beats you to death will illustrate the importance of this command quite clearly.

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

Originally posted by Katashi-kun

Uh 4 expansions!  If your being offered a collection with just 2 expansions someone is trying to screw u!  You can buy the game + all 4 expansions for $30!

well they sell only this in my country http://www.andrico.ee/pood/product_info.php/products_id/2308

well they sell only this in my country http://www.andrico.ee/pood/product_info.php/products_id/2308

That sucks, guess you'll have to purchase and DL the other 2 exps from Square on their POL site!  If they're avail...

• maccersmaccers Member UncommonPosts: 18

Well amazon are selling www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000TQOO9I/ref=s9subs_c2_img1 if you dont mind paying the extra 50~ EEK for postage and packaging. However the starter pack doesnt come with the codes for the expansion packs(comes with the data for the first 3 expansions), you can buy these codes from the playonline viewer.

About the expansions:

Rise of the Zilart:

• 3 new jobs: Ninja, Samurai and Dragoon
    • Access to 40+ zones (Lv25+ majority of your leveling will take place in a zilart zone from 25)
    • New storyline missions (High level missions)
    • New Quests
    • Endgame area known as "Sky"
    • New avatars available for Summoner
    • Multiplayer endgame instances known as Dynamis (from 18 to 64 people)

Chains of Promathia

• Exciting new storyline and missions for mid-level (starting from lv30, each "Chapter" has a set max level cap, 30,40,50,60)
    • 25+ new areas
    • Endgame area known as "Sea"
    • 2 new instanced areas "Limbus"
    • New quests
    • Level capped battlefields known as ENMs
    • 4 new Dynamis areas

Treasures of Aht Urhgan

• 3 new jobs: Blue mage, Puppetmaster, Corsair
    • 20+ new areas (Leveling spots from 55+)
    • Beseige: Beastmen attacks on the city of Al Zahbi which you must defend.
    • Assault: Become a mercenary of Aht Urhgan, and carry out various tasks in instanced areas (3-6 players Lv50+)
    • Salvage: Complete a dungeon with up to 18 others with a powerful Pathos limiting your abilities (Lv65+).
    • Einherjar: An endgame multi-user dungeon similar to dynamis
    • Pankration: Capture a monsters "soul" and have it do battle with other monsters in the pit.

Wings of the Goddess

• 2 New jobs Dancer and Scholar
    • Over 30 new areas
    • Explore past areas of Vana'diel during the Crystal War.
    • Campaign Battles: Help defend outposts from contiuous ambushes by the beastmen confederate, and earn experience based on your preformance.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

For anyone looking for a good mmo experience I definitely recommand FFXI. I played it for 2 years on the Seraph server, 75 rdm 40 war/nin 40 blm/whm. There is no button mashing in the game, it actually takes some skill and thought to get through the game. The best advice I can give for new players is to make friends, find a nice linkshell and learn from them. This game is all about community working together.

• glommaglomma Member Posts: 209

Is there a trail , i can download ?

Originally posted by maccers

Well amazon are selling www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000TQOO9I/ref=s9subs_c2_img1 if you dont mind paying the extra 50~ EEK for postage and packaging. However the starter pack doesnt come with the codes for the expansion packs(comes with the data for the first 3 expansions), you can buy these codes from the playonline viewer.

About the expansions:

Rise of the Zilart:

• 3 new jobs: Ninja, Samurai and Dragoon
    • Access to 40+ zones (Lv25+ majority of your leveling will take place in a zilart zone from 25)
    • New storyline missions (High level missions)
    • New Quests
    • Endgame area known as "Sky"
    • New avatars available for Summoner
    • Multiplayer endgame instances known as Dynamis (from 18 to 64 people)

Chains of Promathia

• Exciting new storyline and missions for mid-level (starting from lv30, each "Chapter" has a set max level cap, 30,40,50,60)
    • 25+ new areas
    • Endgame area known as "Sea"
    • 2 new instanced areas "Limbus"
    • New quests
    • Level capped battlefields known as ENMs
    • 4 new Dynamis areas

Treasures of Aht Urhgan

• 3 new jobs: Blue mage, Puppetmaster, Corsair
    • 20+ new areas (Leveling spots from 55+)
    • Beseige: Beastmen attacks on the city of Al Zahbi which you must defend.
    • Assault: Become a mercenary of Aht Urhgan, and carry out various tasks in instanced areas (3-6 players Lv50+)
    • Salvage: Complete a dungeon with up to 18 others with a powerful Pathos limiting your abilities (Lv65+).
    • Einherjar: An endgame multi-user dungeon similar to dynamis
    • Pankration: Capture a monsters "soul" and have it do battle with other monsters in the pit.

Wings of the Goddess

• 2 New jobs Dancer and Scholar
    • Over 30 new areas
    • Explore past areas of Vana'diel during the Crystal War.
    • Campaign Battles: Help defend outposts from contiuous ambushes by the beastmen confederate, and earn experience based on your preformance.

hmm i can't find this http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Vanadiel-Collection-2008/dp/B00161I5IQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1206671796&sr=8-5 on amazon UK it has all expantsions included... I'm not really keen on ordering from the US... but do u know a site where I can buy the keys from and download the files?

• maccersmaccers Member UncommonPosts: 18

Yeah if you wait til the end of may, Vana'diel collection 2008 will be available from amazon uk

• AthkoreAthkore Member Posts: 55

Man, I've been playing this game forever. I remember starting in July 2004 and there were so many people running around. But back then there was a huge problem with farmers and with the economy. I bough a crap load of gil and almost ruined me irl lol. That's how bad it was. Yes it's true the game is incredibly long but the storyline is amazing when you get higher level. I saw people in-game with over 6 lvl 75s... once you get 6 and beat Maat (the guy for the lvl 70 cap) you can get his hat (Maat's Cap). I could keep talking for hours on this game. But once thing is that the Japanese version came out in 2003 so they had a head start on the game. This guy named Sagaxxxx on Diabolos was the richest person (he bough his own stuff on the AH for 10mil). He's Jap obviously ;p. The crafting system was super easy in the early days when everything was cheap. So first people to level their crafting to 100 were the rich ones. But yeah... botting was a huge problem back in the day.