Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested under one condition

AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650

I would love to come back to FFXI, really.

I want them to merge the servers, and I think it's a necessary thing to do. I could so rarely find a party, and even if I did after it was finally put together the players would seem to systematically leave the group.

I never played for that long of a time and that may have something to do with my problem, but I hear that the higher level you get the harder it is to find a group. If this is so, why has Square Enix done nothing to alleviate the lack of players on each server? Maybe each time I played I was just unlucky enough to get on extremely un populated servers, but I don't think thats the case.

Has this idea ever been considered by the FFXI team, or is this just not going to happen?

Thanks for your help ~

Comments

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by Amarao 
    Has this idea ever been considered by the FFXI team, or is this just not going to happen?

I want them to merge the servers, and I think it's a necessary thing to do. I could so rarely find a party,
    Thanks for your help ~
    The servers are very well populated at all times!  Sure at some levels its harder to find a group, so while ur seeking go fishing, start a craft, farm materials for others, etc!  Regardless of time of day or which server ur on, there are always gonna be waits for certain lvl ranges!

Its always been like this from the beginning!  Merging the servers is only something you do when your game is failing hard and have to keep the population full {ex Sony, and all their crap games}  FFXI is in the top 5 most played MMOs.

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650

Originally posted by Katashi-kun

I want them to merge the servers, and I think it's a necessary thing to do. I could so rarely find a party,
    Thanks for your help ~
    The servers are very well populated at all times!  Sure at some levels its harder to find a group, so while ur seeking go fishing, start a craft, farm materials for others, etc!  Regardless of time of day or which server ur on, there are always gonna be waits for certain lvl ranges!

Its always been like this from the beginning!  Merging the servers is only something you do when your game is failing hard and have to keep the population full {ex Sony, and all their crap games}  FFXI is in the top 5 most played MMOs.

Maybe I'm just comparing it to other MMO's, or maybe the world is so large that the people are just spread out but going into the dunes on a saturday night to find no more then 10-15 people is something that to this day makes me confused. I agree that the game does have a lot of players, but I don't know many people that have the time to wait an hour or more for a party. I loved the idea of being forced to party, because the community was so good, but I don't think anyone can dispute that it takes wayyy to long to get into a group.

From your response it seems that the server merge isn't happening anytime soon, so could you tell me a few servers that are very populated, and not just in your opinion.

Thanks again.

Well these days most ppl solo to almost 20 and skip the dunes...thats a big reason why you don't find many there.  Or when they do finally go they don't have but maybe 2-4 lvls to get then off to Qufim!  Am doing it myself and soloing outside the dunes cause I hate that place very much!  I don't mind the slower route oppossed to having to deal with that zone

...and there is no true pop of any servers except that Odin recently has been proclaimed as being extremely populated and free transfers have been given to remove the congestion!

Oh and yes the game world is very huge now...I'd say at least 180 zones and dungeons....so players are spread all over!

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

Well these days most ppl solo to almost 20 and skip the dunes...thats a big reason why you don't find many there.  Or when they do finally go they don't have but maybe 2-4 lvls to get then off to Qufim!  Am doing it myself and soloing outside the dunes cause I hate that place very much!  I don't mind the slower route oppossed to having to deal with that zone
    ...and there is no true pop of any servers except that Odin recently has been proclaimed as being extremely populated and free transfers have been given to remove the congestion!
    Oh and yes the game world is very huge now...I'd say at least 180 zones and dungeons....so players are spread all over!
    I'll take your word for it but I've never heard of skipping the dunes.

Are you honestly not having trouble finding parties and is the rdm in your sig your main?

Are you honestly not having trouble finding parties and is the rdm in your sig your main?

Since I restarted I havn't had a need to party since I just said I'm soloing past the dunes, and atm yes that char is my main.  Chose to restart instead of resurrect my old char!

Since I restarted I havn't had a need to party since I just said I'm soloing past the dunes, and atm yes that char is my main.  Chose to restart instead of resurrect my old char!

Alright, well I'm hoping a few other players also answer my response, but thanks for your help.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Merging the servers is only something you do when your game is failing hard and have to keep the population full {ex Sony, and all their crap games}  FFXI is in the top 5 most played MMOs.

By your definition, FFXI must be crap, just like Sony's games, and failing hard right from the beginning. Because FFXI had at least 3 merges in the past.

Ixion, Typhon and Kirin are the names of the servers that was closed, and their populations were moved to Bismarck and Kujata.

Originally posted by Netspook

Merging the servers is only something you do when your game is failing hard and have to keep the population full {ex Sony, and all their crap games}  FFXI is in the top 5 most played MMOs.

By your definition, FFXI must be crap, just like Sony's games, and failing hard right from the beginning. Because FFXI had at least 3 merges in the past.

Ixion, Typhon and Kirin are the names of the servers that was closed, and their populations were moved to Bismarck and Kujata.

Is it possible in your opinion for a server merge to happen any time soon?

Oh my really....so they removed 3 servers with really low populations and moved the players to new ones!  That is good business, caring about your customers unlike Sony that say closes all their servers but 3 or so and on MMOs that are only 1-3 yrs old...where as FFXI is 6 yrs old and still going extremely strong with 28 servers running that are well populated.

In my opinion?

No

Why? Because FFXI's playerbase has not changed much for at least 3 years, maybe more. Unless something happened very recently, it's still around 500,000. Nothing changed, so I doubt merges will happen anytime soon.

What is this lust for a server merge, you keep asking if it will happen!  If you really think the game is doing so bad that there are no players and a server merge needs to happen then don't play the game! 

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

There are people who do try to solo past dunes and such. On my server Kujata though, I haven't seen a real issue with getting parties out there. Seeing as how my wifes other character got to 17 with no real issues for getting a party and also someone I know is leveling through there as well. It is possible to solo past dunes. It just takes longer.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

Oh my really....so they removed 3 servers with really low populations and moved the players to new ones!  That is good business, caring about your customers unlike Sony that say closes all their servers but 3 or so and on MMOs that are only 1-3 yrs old...where as FFXI is 6 yrs old and still going extremely strong with 28 servers running that are well populated.

Alright, when it comes down to it you just hate sony. FFXI is not well populated and considering there was already a merge its obviously not going strong. And where do you get this top 5 most played shit?

So, it's good business when SE merges servers, but bad when SOE does?

Btw, there's not 28 FFXI servers. There's 32 + 1 test server.

Let me ask you then NetSpook, can you answer my original question?

Let me ask you then NetSpook, can you answer my original question?

Already did. Read post #11.

Alright, when it comes down to it you just hate sony. FFXI is not well populated and considering there was already a merge its obviously not going strong. And where do you get this top 5 most played shit?

Oh boy here we go...getting testy and using the big words cause u won't believe anything I say! 

#4 Most Played, thats pretty damn good!

NPD MMO #'s May 8th, 2008

NPD has ranked the top MMOs and gaming websites for Q1 2008 in terms of subscribers as follows:

MMO/PC Games:

• 1. World of Warcraft
    • 2. RuneScape
    • 3. Lord of the Rings Online
    • 4. Final Fantasy XI
    • 5. City of Heroes

Personally though I play both LOTRO and FFXI and I see way more players in FFXI than I do in LOTRO!  So I think FFXI should be #3

Oh boy here we go...getting testy and using the big words cause u won't believe anything I say! 

#4 Most Played, thats pretty damn good!

NPD MMO #'s May 8th, 2008

NPD has ranked the top MMOs and gaming websites for Q1 2008 in terms of subscribers as follows:

MMO/PC Games:

• 1. World of Warcraft
    • 2. RuneScape
    • 3. Lord of the Rings Online
    • 4. Final Fantasy XI
    • 5. City of Heroes

Big words? I don't know what to say.

This is one sites opinion and your spreading it like its law. I won't deny  that the community is large but by just the fact that City Of Heroes is up there I can tell you this is not reliable.

Lineage 2 without a doubt beats CoH in population, and I don't believe for a second that CoH is beating EQ in pop.

• Esther-ChanEsther-Chan Member Posts: 288

Wow, does this ever bring back memories. I played FFXI approximately a year and a half 8 years ago. FFXI was my first MMORPG and I will always have a certain love for it. Losing your MMO-virginity is something you don't forget.

Alas, FFXI doesn't appear to have changed much from the past to present.

As a Paladin of level 61 I spent upwards of 12 hours a day looking for a group and those groups rarely lasted for more than a hour. The time differences between Americans and Japanese didn't help any and it was next to impossible to find groups early in the morning.

To make matters worse, people started creating static parties and alienated anyone who was not part of that static party. Unfortunately, creating static parties is perhaps the best way to level.

Other problems FFXI has is the large Japanese player-base that won't party with Americans because of the language barrier. While I did party with a few Japanese people, most of them spoke some degree of English. When I asked someone why they don't like Americans they said it wasn't that they didn't like Americans, but that they couldn't understand or communicate properly with them, which created uncomfortable times in the leveling zones. My first experience with a full Japanese party was so awkward and I had no idea where or what we were doing. Best EXP I ever got though.

And perhaps the biggest problems with FFXI and the best reasons not to return is the insanely expensive, impossible to buy items. 8 years ago if you wanted money you had to farm HMs for it. This lead to hours and hours of competition and disappointment. I remember farming Leaping Lizzy (Now her leaping boots are Soulbound and cannot be sold) for cash and how frustrating it was! The spawn time for her was ridiculous, but it was nowhere near that of the 24 hour spawns.

This leads to Gil-buying, which is sometimes the only way to buy items unless you're willing to put up with the frustration of HM farming.

Gil-buying is a full blown epidemic in FFXI and it causes the prices of items to sky rocket into such price ranges that normal people are forced to buy gil to compete; especially if you're a paladin class that depends on the best armor to tank. If it wasn't for the AF armor at 52-60 then I'd have gone insane.

I do sorta miss FFXI but if someone offered to pay for my return indefinitely I would decline. FFXI is just too hardcore for me and I don't have the money nor patience to deal with the gil-sellers and party finding it takes to succeed.

Originally posted by Esther-Chan

Alas, FFXI doesn't appear to have changed any back when I played it 8 years ago.

FFXI just hit its 6th yr anniversary...

Originally posted by Esther-Chan

Alas, FFXI doesn't appear to have changed any back when I played it 8 years ago.

8 years ago? Typo?

The Japanese release was the first, May 16th 2002. That's 6 years ago.

OriginallypostedbyAmarao                                                                                                                                               This is one sites opinion and your spreading it like its law. 

hahaha, this is funny...this isn't just a website...its the NPD information posted on that one website!  The NPD are way more than just an opinion, its fact!

The NPD Group, Inc. (formerly National Purchase Diary) is a leading global market research company[1][2] Covered industries include apparel, appliances, automotive, beauty, consumer electronics, food and beverage, foodservice, footwear, home improvement, housewares, imaging, information technology, movies, music, software, toys, video games and wireless.[2] founded in 1967 and provides consumer and retail information to manufacturers and retailers. Using actual sales data from retailers and distributors as well as consumer-reported purchasing behavior, NPD offers consumer panel and retail sales tracking services, special reports, modeling and analytics, and custom research.

The NPD Group is headquarted in Port Washington, NY with offices across the United States, Japan, the United Kingdom, and across the European Union.[2]

OriginallypostedbyAmarao                                                                                                                                               This is one sites opinion and your spreading it like its law. 

hahaha, this is funny...this isn't just a website...its the NPD information posted on that one website!  The NPD are way more than just an opinion, its fact!

The NPD Group, Inc. (formerly National Purchase Diary) is a leading global market research company[1][2] Covered industries include apparel, appliances, automotive, beauty, consumer electronics, food and beverage, foodservice, footwear, home improvement, housewares, imaging, information technology, movies, music, software, toys, video games and wireless.[2] founded in 1967 and provides consumer and retail information to manufacturers and retailers. Using actual sales data from retailers and distributors as well as consumer-reported purchasing behavior, NPD offers consumer panel and retail sales tracking services, special reports, modeling and analytics, and custom research.

The NPD Group is headquarted in Port Washington, NY with offices across the United States, Japan, the United Kingdom, and across the European Union.[2]

And you redeem yourself with a wikipedia article.

Do you have any reliable information to give?

Fact?

Turbine (LOTRO) has repeatedly refused to publish their subscription numbers. Most speculations I've read seems to agree on something around 250k. This list is not fact, it's fiction.

And you redeem yourself with a wikipedia article.

Do you have any reliable information to give?
    Fine since ur so dumb....here is their official website containing the same info!

Why don't you just go away now...u never wanted to play FFXI anyway...u just came here to stir up trouble and and don't wanna believe fact even with proof!  LOL