Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pc Gamer article: First 10 mins of WAR are Abysmal

Just read a preview in this months Pc Gamer UK and here are a few intersting lines: "Your first 10 minutes in WAr are abysmal. And thats a shame, because there's real potential here. Pur premade character was dumped beside a massive boat on a drab island. There are buzzing fairies ahead, elevn sailors to your left and a path to the right. In front a quest master :" Kill four fairies, Kill six sailors. Go and meet my friend"

Welcome to the grind, stay here forever"

The article then goes on the complain about only having two skills at the start making the combat boring!

However the rest of the article is generally positive, mainly explaining why you should play WAR and so on.

However it makes me wonder what the previewer was looking for when he was preveiwing an mmo?! Anyways what do you guys think of what i have quoted? Does not concern me too much its what i expect from an mmo!

Comments

• TheGreyManTheGreyMan Member Posts: 325

10 min....wow......

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

People are looking for the next Everquest slash wow population. Stock holders and the accountants look at the bottom line.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • bobtheblobbobtheblob Member Posts: 135

yeah i thought that was strange too, but i should of put what he said at the start of the article, he talks baout how the first 10 mins are vital for an MMO in getting the customer to want to pay £8 a month.

However i do agree that he was a bit hasty in his negative comments!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by bobtheblob

yeah i thought that was strange too, but i should of put what he said at the start of the article, he talks baout how the first 10 mins are vital for an MMO in getting the customer to want to pay £8 a month.
    However i do agree that he was a bit hasty in his negative comments!

If anyone plays an MMO and doesn't quits after 10 minutes, well, they probably won't last long in the game anyways.  Sounds like a pretty standard opening for a noob zone, and something I quickly breeze past and on deeper into the game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Hell, I'm more disturbed at the reviewer's lack of English proficiency!  Wtf are "pur" and "elevn"?  Is that "Pure" or "Your"; is it "eleven" or "Elven?" And.  the.  fragments. are Shatner-worthy!

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't take that reviewer seriously with those glaring grammatical mistakes!

• xzevexzeve Member Posts: 182

so, the first 10mins are like any other mmo. and you only have 2 skills for a start... what wrong with that? if you had 10 skills at lvl 1, you would get confused, since you dont know how they works, and how to combine them. You gain more skills etc when you lvl, and only get a few at a time, if not only a upgrade. that gives you a chance to find out what skills you prefere to use, if you are more into DOT or direct dmg. And by doing the few "simple" quests, if you are "new" to mmo´s , here you get a chance to learn to controle your char. , move around, jumping, aggro range and so...  IMO the first few mins needs to be boring in any mmo, to give newbies a chance. And since WAR isnt aiming for the "hardcore" ppl it suits the customers great :D and tbh, really hardcore gamers (at least some of us) dont mind spending 10 mins on newbie quests.... its ok, as long as we can get some kickass gamplay in endgame ( face it, it will be there you spend most time)  ;)

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

It the same thing as WoW. They learned from DAoC to have a very newb friendly starting zone.

Also I never seen a good mmo that has a great starting area with mindblowing quest and tutorial. Anyone know of any?

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

I am not gonna try to come up with any excuses. If the starting areas are boring well, then they are.

I just hope you get past them fast.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Also I never seen a good mmo that has a great starting area with mindblowing quest and tutorial. Anyone know of any?

Age of Conan is a step above with throwing you into the starting area. The story and pace makes you want to push forward, which is kind of cool. It at least gives you an "illusion" of skills and control because of the combat system, just a slight reinvention of button mashing. :)

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• baso80baso80 Member Posts: 95

There is nothing wrong with someone thinking the game seems bad after 10 mins.

BUT

pls... just saying stuff like "welcome to grind fest".. or "omg... now I have to do qs"... I would love to hear their expectations and what they want to see in the game so we know why they are disappointed.

Ppl doesnt seem to know what to expect from WAR. A lot of reviews, positive and negative, just state opinions and nothing that us, from the sidelines, can relate to.. Either the game is great and fun or the game is dull and combat slow. Either way, that doesnt give me any information to relate to.

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Devalon

It the same thing as WoW. They learned from DAoC to have a very newb friendly starting zone.

I enjoy the City of Villains starting area, breaking out of prison, its unique, it goes by quick and does what its meant to do.  

• CaligulugCaligulug Member Posts: 283

AoC. The start of the game is well awesume.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

IMO, AoC.  Running up on the beach, saving the woman by defeating her captors and getting the key to her shackles.  It caught my attention right away.  Much better than "kill 4 fairies."

I hope WAR spices this up before release.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I thought the Tauren starting are in WoW was pretty cool.  Sure, there was the collect 10 x quests but it oozed with style, especially with the spirit guide.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Caligulug

AoC. The start of the game is well awesume.

Well, I'm not in the OB, but if it was the same as the PVP weekend's PVE starter area, no it isn't.  Standard fare in that scenario (except for the fact the female avatars start out practically naked, and its a shame to put pants on them) 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Wow I love how you guys fell for a lying troll hook line and sinker...anyway here's the latest preview that PC Gamer did on Warhammer straight from their website.  There's nothing about faeries atleast that i could see.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187710

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Originally posted by uncus

Hell, I'm more disturbed at the reviewer's lack of English proficiency!  Wtf are "pur" and "elevn"?  Is that "Pure" or "Your"; is it "eleven" or "Elven?" And.  the.  fragments. are Shatner-worthy!
    I don't know about anyone else, but I can't take that reviewer seriously with those glaring grammatical mistakes!
    I have a feeling these were typo's made by the OP, since he referenced reading the information from a magazine :).

That being said, the language that was used wasn't what I would expect from a highly polished gaming magazine either. Either way, judging a MMO by its first 10 minutes is a waste of everyone's time, as the model is typically to allow players new to the genre to get familiar with a MMO before jumping into the core gameplay.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

The first moments are very important in a MMO, devs should never offer a kill task as first quest.

• IkonicIkonic Member UncommonPosts: 310

A preview 6 months prior to launch? AoC was 10x as horrid as the Open beta was 6 months ago...

6 months ago in AoC i couldn't get past the first quest because the chick would stand there blocking the path even with her shackles off.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

All of this talk got me thinking about my most memorable first moments have been.

WoW really has that slot, because I chose to be an orc....and one of the first quests you do there revolves around taking a blackjack, and beating peons over the head with it to wake them up.  Bloody loved it.

That aside, we've been trolled.  Even if we HADN'T, what he said was pretty standard MMO stuff. 

• farokfarok Member UncommonPosts: 37

Actually that article is from CVG/PC Zone not PC Gamer. But we get the idea.

• SimmusSimmus Member Posts: 222

it like that in every mmorpg ,grind grind grind it not new.

beside,the newbie zone is always like that!

and depend what you play,(race) it can be boring

and i dont know but check WoW it the same grind over and over again.

War is coming,i hope it will be good ,dont trust like other said ,it just their opinion.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

I read the same article. My eyebrow raised also as to why the writer would say why the game is good after 10 min. Well first off the game isnt finished. 2nd is why anyone would judge a game after 10 min of play.  if i judged EVE online in the 1st 10 min id've quit due to the complexities and menus within menus. You cant judge a game by the 1st 10 min.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Originally posted by bobtheblob

The article then goes on the complain about only having two skills at the start making the combat boring!

Geez... What do these guys want...

However the rest of the article is generally positive, mainly explaining why you should play WAR and so on.

Maybe you should have used this as the thread title?

• Drgnprpht999Drgnprpht999 Member Posts: 141

Heh thats what I did with EVE though I did make it out to into space but I couldn't quite graps the controls. Seems like it would be a fun game though.

Edit: Ment to quote Krazyjoel

Deviant Art: http://ramenninja.deviantart.com/

MMOs Played: EverQuest 1 and 2, Ryzom, Horizons/Istaria, Planetside (BFRs ruined it), WoW, GuildWars, CoH/CoV, Lineage 2, FFXI, Random free MMOs