Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...what WOULD be a WoW killer?

13»

Comments

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by XImpalerX

Im not sure I understand what you mean by "non-gaming franchise"(if im taking what your saying correctly, you mean that Warhammer is not based off of a game? And that Star Wars, The Matrix, and Lord of the Rings are?
    Video gaming.

A prospective "WoW killer" that is based on an existing franchise will be based on a series that originated as a video game.

Warhammer has 25 years of fans but they are not video game fans. Did D&DO and LotRO teach you nothing. LotR has over 50 years of fans but they didnt flock to the video game did they? You can NOT depend on the fans of a non-video game series to support the video game.

However, at this point the only video game franchises(non Blizzard franchises) that could make an attempt would be Halo, GTA or Pokemon(however, it would probably be Wii only which means its user base would be choked).

With 20+ million Wiis sold with Nintendo estimating that number to grow to 50mil by march 09 i really doubht that the user base will be choked.

Ive meet alot of warhammer players and guess what, they all play mmos. And if you want to go for legacy of games then a Nintendo or Bioware mmo would fit that.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

WoW 2? I don't think there will be a blizzard killer. Blizzard actually knows about gaming.

• sythraelsythrael Member UncommonPosts: 58

Originally posted by jarish

Come on, we all know that the Hello Kitty MMO is going to wipe the floor with WOW.

Most assuredly!  That or the Lego MMO. =)

May the Chaos forever bind you to it's glory.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

a game that is even easier to get into and even more basic than WoW.  its a game that allows (like WoW) everyone to play and is fun (for most people).  the only thing that will dethrone WoW is a more watered down MMO that people can easily get into.  WoW's secret is its simple gameplay and its fun (for most people)

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I don't know WHO, but I know WHAT!

It will offer more solo/grouping (8- players) options.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by Anofalye

I don't know WHO, but I know WHAT!

It will offer more solo/grouping (8- players) options.

Agreed.  Solo play has been a forgotten concept for most games.  Only  a few support it.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

something even shitter than wow. wow is so big because most people have such bad tastes. most of wow's players are from asia, just look at asian mmo's. wow is successful because its tacky and horrible, so in order for a game to steal the market it would have to be even worse.

I dont want a wow killer, in terms of amount of subs. and it terms of gameplay wow has been killed a few times imo.

but since you want to know which game we think will take wow's market its got to be wow 2 (by ea mythic) or wow 3 (by blizzard), as both will likely be more and the same and equally terrible.

My blog: image

• Omega431Omega431 Member UncommonPosts: 92

Blizzards next MMO, Period........... which is starcraft online :)

• KyernaKyerna Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Kyerna

Originally posted by gath

Im not sure I understand what you mean by "non-gaming franchise"(if im taking what your saying correctly, you mean that Warhammer is not based off of a game? And that Star Wars, The Matrix, and Lord of the Rings are?
    Video gaming.

A prospective "WoW killer" that is based on an existing franchise will be based on a series that originated as a video game.

Warhammer has 25 years of fans but they are not video game fans. Did D&DO and LotRO teach you nothing. LotR has over 50 years of fans but they didnt flock to the video game did they? You can NOT depend on the fans of a non-video game series to support the video game.

However, at this point the only video game franchises(non Blizzard franchises) that could make an attempt would be Halo, GTA or Pokemon(however, it would probably be Wii only which means its user base would be choked).

Not a video game...? laololulelu? There's atleast 2 that i know of, but i think (too mutch beer to be sure) there are more.

There's three on the fantasy IP; Shadow of the Horned Rat (1995), Dark Omen (1998) and Mark of Chaos (2006). Plenty more on the 40k IP; Dawn of War, Fire Warrior, Chaos Gate, Space Hulk, Rites of War, Space Crusade, ... Seen how immensly well some of these games sold tells you a lot on how long and how much GW's fanboys have been praising their game-gurus. If a craptastic FPS like Fire Warrior actually sells I have no doubt the fanbase would follow them about anywhere.

None of those games sold anywhere near Blizzard's numbers and they definitly don't carry the legacy of Blizzards games.

Probably true but not what I was trying to point out, Gameloading. Will WaR prove to be a succesfull and profitable game? I don't doubt that for a moment seen the history of the Warhammer IP games. The scope of both the Warhammer and WH40k franchise is vast. The franchise itself has a pretty much unrivaled legacy when it comes down to tabletop miniatures worldwide. Most of these loyal customers have been dishing out tons of money for years on their mini's, their paints, constant expanding corebooks and what not. There's sales of novels, comics, the mini's and paints, the PnP, the videogames ... GW even owns a friggin museum to which their fans venture on 'pilgrimage'. Why would most shun away from spending a small monthly fee on yet another 'grand gift' of these 'talented souls'? But will WaR rival WoW in subscription numbers? I doubt it, I don't feel like guessing and I honestly don't even care.
  • LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

The legend of Zelda?

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by gath

Video gaming.

Not a video game...? laololulelu? There's atleast 2 that i know of, but i think (too mutch beer to be sure) there are more.

There's three on the fantasy IP; Shadow of the Horned Rat (1995), Dark Omen (1998) and Mark of Chaos (2006). Plenty more on the 40k IP; Dawn of War, Fire Warrior, Chaos Gate, Space Hulk, Rites of War, Space Crusade, ... Seen how immensly well some of these games sold tells you a lot on how long and how much GW's fanboys have been praising their game-gurus. If a craptastic FPS like Fire Warrior actually sells I have no doubt the fanbase would follow them about anywhere.

None of those games sold anywhere near Blizzard's numbers and they definitly don't carry the legacy of Blizzards games.

Probably true but not what I was trying to point out, Gameloading. Will WaR prove to be a succesfull and profitable game? I don't doubt that for a moment seen the history of the Warhammer IP games. The scope of both the Warhammer and WH40k franchise is vast. The franchise itself has a pretty much unrivaled legacy when it comes down to tabletop miniatures worldwide. Most of these loyal customers have been dishing out tons of money for years on their mini's, their paints, constant expanding corebooks and what not. There's sales of novels, comics, the mini's and paints, the PnP, the videogames ... GW even owns a friggin museum to which their fans venture on 'pilgrimage'. Why would most shun away from spending a small monthly fee on yet another 'grand gift' of these 'talented souls'? But will WaR rival WoW in subscription numbers? I doubt it, I don't feel like guessing and I honestly don't even care. That's the whole point. Those people are playing tabletop games, MMORPG's.

Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons was in the exact same situation by going with an IP that has nothing to do with video games. While both have a respectable amount of subscribers, neither of them are anything major.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

I used the term "WoW killer" because that's become the popular phrase on these forums.  I agree that's a pretty poor term.  To kill means to put an end to, and that's not going to happen for some time.  What I really mean is...what would knock WoW from being the king of the hill?  Is time the only thing that can put it in 2nd place or is there a winning formula that could be more popular than the WoW formula?  That's what I meant.

• DeadJesterDeadJester Member Posts: 499

just one thing WoW 2

• materva26materva26 Member Posts: 64

After playing Age of Conan's beta....Wow is dead to me now, and before people start raving and flaming me, Yes I had Full Vengeful Gear on my Orc warrior, including mace and shoulders. My account has been given away, AND GUESS WHAT BLIZZ, don't care if you know, cause WoW is DEAD to me now.....BRING ON CONAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by Zindaihas

So many people like to speculate which soon to be released MMO will be the death knell for WoW.  It's been going on for a couple years now and many games have come and gone and still WoW remains on top.  Games will continue to be released in the future.  Will AoC be a WoW killer, will WAR?  Most likely neither of them will be.
    So instead of asking which game that is currently in development might do it, let me ask something a little different.  What kind of game would it take to kill WoW?  Or better yet, is there a formula that could be more popular than the WoW formula.  Perhaps there is none.  Perhaps WoW is the most successful formula there is and therefore, we are destined to see WoWish type games made again and again and again.
    I personally don't care if WoW lives or dies.  I don't care if it continues to rule or eventually gets dethroned.  I guess I'm just asking a familiar question with a slightly different spin because I'm a glutton for punishment.

A WoW killer would be another WoW-type of game, created by Blizzard. And since Blizzard has been hiring new developers for a new MMO.....

Imagine a Starcraft MMO. I think that would blow WoW off this planet!

• CatizoneCatizone Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by Zindaihas

So many people like to speculate which soon to be released MMO will be the death knell for WoW.  It's been going on for a couple years now and many games have come and gone and still WoW remains on top.  Games will continue to be released in the future.  Will AoC be a WoW killer, will WAR?  Most likely neither of them will be.
    So instead of asking which game that is currently in development might do it, let me ask something a little different.  What kind of game would it take to kill WoW?  Or better yet, is there a formula that could be more popular than the WoW formula.  Perhaps there is none.  Perhaps WoW is the most successful formula there is and therefore, we are destined to see WoWish type games made again and again and again.
    I personally don't care if WoW lives or dies.  I don't care if it continues to rule or eventually gets dethroned.  I guess I'm just asking a familiar question with a slightly different spin because I'm a glutton for punishment.

None of them wl because WoW has an expansion pack coming out this year  and one of WoW's exp packs is like a small game on it's own.

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435

werent we being told that aoc and war were going to be next gen wow revolutionary killers????

Lmao so much for that idea.  Funny thing is the fanbois here for years and months were saying aoc was going to destroy wow, and by all accounts by people on variuos forums and beta leakers its just another lineaer game on Vanguards level.  While these companies struggle, blizzard goes from strength to strength, will probably only get bigger with the new expansion going back to the roots of old wow.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

If WAR can pull a polished ,impressive game then i think it would probably hurt WoW badly at least in europe and NA.Asia might not get hit so hard though.

• cmackchasecmackchase Member Posts: 11

Hmm, an MMO to be a WoW killer would need the following things.

1. An established IP that can be turned into an MMO, something like a Kotor/Final Fantasy

2. A Class system similar to FFXI or FFT

3. A character creation system that gives you a lot of options like CoX or EQ2

4. PvE content that doesn't suck and hides time/money sinks decently.

5. World PvP that matters, If a group of people go and demolish a city, the faction of that city gets a debuff to the losing side while rewarding the winning side with a decent buff. Other things could happen like every player on the losing side loses like 3% of there money to pay for "repairs/taxes" type thing, you get the idea.

6. Make crafting matter, there is no logic is even having professions if people can afk for better gear that what people can craft.

7. Random world events, your going to tell me that random orgranized mob X wouldn't randomly go launch a sneak attack on a certain town or something to weaken it.

8. When you release an expansion, make it an expansion, and not a minor update, 10 levels isn't an expansion, 30 levels is an expansion, we want to be entertained, not gerbil rerolling all the time.

This is a start to a wow killer.