Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About to try, but why the fuss?

2»

Comments

• Originally posted by smg777

Originally posted by Majestico

I was curious that after all this time, there is still a lot of animosity towards the current SWG game, as surely SOE must have taken on board what people have been saying?  It would not make sense for them to do otherwise, if their player-base is leaving.
    They went from 250,000 players to around 10,000 but they just can't admit they are wrong about the changes they made to the game. Of course it would make sense for them to put up a few classic servers but that would be admitting their mistake and SOE, being SOE, isn't willing to do that.

Anyway, try the trial but do not pay for anything until you've gone through the tutorial and the newbie space station. Get down to tatooine and see the actual game before making any decisions. You sound like a reasonable person so my guess is you'll hate the horrible combat system, massive bugs and empty servers.

where the hell do people pull bogus numbers from? Wait I know was orifice. If SOE only had 10k SWG subscribers they would can it. If they only had 40k I bet they would sack it.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by smg77

Originally posted by Rippentuck

I was already gone when the changes hit (I played from shortly after launch to late 2004), but I don't think the CU-NGE stuff is the only reason for the low current population.  It probably would have dropped dramatically anyway just because the game aged, new games came along, people got bored and moved on, etc., although you're probably right that the changes had a lot to do with it. 
    I think sometimes people blame it all on the changes alone -- as if the game would still have 250k players today if not for that. 
    Rip

I honestly don't believe that. I think that if they had buckled down and fixed the original sandbox game and added content on that framework that we would be in a golden age of SWG right now. People getting bored with WoW would be flocking to a game with more depth and meaning and SWG might actually have a decent subscriber base.

Personally i wouldn't post here and maybe i wouldn't even have an account here , i would be busy having fun in the game and would be a big fanboi like i was PRE CU. They made an enemy more the day the deleted my  "i wan't rollback and my game back" the day after NGE (showing me that way their arrogance).

BRING BACK PRE CU !

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• RippentuckRippentuck Member Posts: 19

I think the fond memories and nostalgia of the old vets are causing them to overstate the quality of the original game.  I used to do that too, but I can look back now and say that the game was good for it's time, but not as good now, considering what's been done since then.  It's sort of like how the Beatles were great in the 60s, but their music is old now and was eclipsed long ago.  You can't make SWG any better than anything that's out there now.

Yes, I love Star Wars.  Yes, I loved SWG back in the day and couldn't stop playing it.  But we can never go back to those days.  It's been five years now, yet some diehards are still hoping for some tweaks here and there to fix this or that set of problems.  They seem to think that if this or that can just be fixed, people will come flocking back in droves to play this game.  But it won't happen.  The focus is on newer things now.

Better games are being made with new technology.  Better Star Wars games can be made with new technology, if we just allow SWG to retire, get some closure on it, and start  with a new drawing board.  It's naive to expect to make old things new again. Better to look forward to what new things can be done with a new game, than to cling to old technology and old memories.

Rip

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

I think the fond memories and nostalgia of the old vets are causing them to overstate the quality of the original game.  I used to do that too, but I can look back now and say that the game was good for it's time, but not as good now, considering what's been done since then.  It's sort of like how the Beatles were great in the 60s, but their music is old now and was eclipsed long ago.  You can't make SWG any better than anything that's out there now.
    Yes, I love Star Wars.  Yes, I loved SWG back in the day and couldn't stop playing it.  But we can never go back to those days.  It's been five years now, yet some diehards are still hoping for some tweaks here and there to fix this or that set of problems. 
    Better games are being made with new technology.  Better Star Wars games can be made with new technology, if we just allow SWG to retire, get some closure on it, and start  with a new drawing board.  It's naive to expect to make old things new again. Better to look forward to what new things can be done with a new game, than to cling to old technology and old memories.
    Rip
    pre-cu swg was one of the greatest mmo's ever. look around everyone posting on mmorpg.com wants pre-cu back. it was better it was nicer and it had one of the greatest systems in the world.

look at other posts too even fanbois and fanbots are now turning their back on swg nge. more of a sign of how us vets will win and fanbois and fanbots and $OE will lose.

• RippentuckRippentuck Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by iwantmyswg

Yes, I love Star Wars.  Yes, I loved SWG back in the day and couldn't stop playing it.  But we can never go back to those days.  It's been five years now, yet some diehards are still hoping for some tweaks here and there to fix this or that set of problems. 
    Rip
    pre-cu swg was one of the greatest mmo's ever. look around everyone posting on mmorpg.com wants pre-cu back. it was better it was nicer and it had one of the greatest systems in the world.

look at other posts too even fanbois and fanbots are now turning their back on swg nge. more of a sign of how us vets will win and fanbois and fanbots and $OE will lose.

You replied while I was editing my post. :/ 

Yes, it had the greatest crafting system ever.  Yes, the skill based system was superior to the level based crap we have in games now.  Yes, it had good graphics for its time.  But do you really think some posts from some people on a forum are going to return us to the glory of those days? 

There's far more upside to making a whole new game than trying to fix up an old junker like SWG.  Better things can be done now, with newer technology.  If a completely new game called Star Wars Galaxies 2 came out tomorrow, how many people do you think would play it as opposed to old SWG (pre-CU)?  

It's just time to let SWG go and see what comes next.  The license still has much potential, and that potential can't be reached with a 5 year old game.

Rip

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Yes, it had the greatest crafting system ever.  Yes, the skill based system was superior to the level based crap we have in games now.  Yes, it had good graphics for its time.  But do you really think some posts from some people on a forum are going to return us to the glory of those days? 
    There's far more upside to making a whole new game than trying to fix up an old junker like SWG.  Better things can be done now, with newer technology.  If a completely new game called Star Wars Galaxies 2 came out tomorrow, how many people do you think would play it as opposed to old SWG (pre-CU)? 

Sorry, no: your "better games with new technology" comes down to just one thing - improved graphics. I certainly would not argue that point. But what mechanics do they use with their gorgeous new DX10 graphics? The same-old same-old loot/level/grind-fest. I want more, and better, than that! I want a game as good the one we once had. Warts and all, SWG was still the best playing experience I've seen in any MMO. Sure, I would like to see a new game, done better, especially in the game-engine department. But ONLY if it offered the best of the old pre-CU style of game play; pretty pictures don't cut it. Since the chances of that are between slim and none ("...and Slim just left town..."), the best opportunity for improved game play is indeed "trying to fix up an old junker".

pre cu IS superior by game play design. You can't  beat the freedom to have250 skill points to spend on every profession you like(32 of them) with a lousy class system  and some boring expertise points.

Not encourage  others to team up cause of levels IS stupid game design for an MMO, it will be inferior  to PRE CU in 100 years still.

the IDEAS behind the NGE are POOR and will stay  inferior  to PRE CU till we see a system with NO CLASSES give you the freedom to get EVERY  skill you like , the time YOU like them  and to  customize your online character the WAY YOU ENJOY it.

Again , pre cu is SUPERIOR by GAME DESIGN not graphics and  stupid eyecandy stuff.

And even there, the UI style  at pre cu.  Elegance, honesty  Science Fiction,  now  childish, clumsy ,  feels like kindergarten paintings. INFERIOR to pre cu >.<

The particle effects,  a joke for every MMO claiming to be Science Fiction in a galaxie far away..

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Why all the fuss? Well i never heard of a company telling there customers "If you don't like the changes then by all means go play someone else's game" And that was merely the icing on the cake.

SOELA bungled the complete history of the game and were rude,sneaky,and incompentent while they did it.

• MajesticoMajestico Member UncommonPosts: 481

So basically, and just a guess here, the NGE came after WoW was released?

From what I have experience of SWG so far (and remember I've only played a short while), it seems to be very much like EQ2 which, coincedently changed its interface after WoW's success.  I enjoy EQ2, and so far quite like SWG, although I have yet to see much of a community in game (possibly because I am just at the starting area at Mos Esley - as that how it is spelt?).

I may be wrong, but I am beginning to get the impression that SOE saw the huge success of WoW, and decided that they wanted some of it.  Thereby they changed their games thinking that would work.  It sounds as though the changes to SWG were a lot more dramatic than EQ2 ones, and it does show a lack of respect for SOE's SWG communitry.

Is that the jist of it?

• vet-in-exilevet-in-exile Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Majestico

So basically, and just a guess here, the NGE came after WoW was released?
    From what I have experience of SWG so far (and remember I've only played a short while), it seems to be very much like EQ2 which, coincedently changed its interface after WoW's success.  I enjoy EQ2, and so far quite like SWG, although I have yet to see much of a community in game (possibly because I am just at the starting area at Mos Esley - as that how it is spelt?).
    I may be wrong, but I am beginning to get the impression that SOE saw the huge success of WoW, and decided that they wanted some of it.  Thereby they changed their games thinking that would work.  It sounds as though the changes to SWG were a lot more dramatic than EQ2 ones, and it does show a lack of respect for SOE's SWG communitry.
    Is that the jist of it?

Yes the NGE was a knee-jerk reaction to WoW's popularity. SWG's active playerbase took a hit when WoW came back but what I, and several others, noticed was that people were coming back to SWG after finding out how shallow WoW was compared to the richness and complexity of SWG. If they had just spent the time to fix the bugs and the problems with the pre-CU game they would have gotten their players back and added thousands more.

Instead they tried to copy what they thought were the best things about Wow but they didn't have the talent to do a good job of it.

Mos Eisley is one of  the most ..well.."populated "...areas.

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Part of the fuss over the changes to SWG have to do with what those changes were and the rest is directly due to how the company handled implementing those changes and how they responded to the massive uproar those changes caused in the player community.

The game went from being a very unique, open skill-based game with a huge variety of play choices with very little actual content and even less documentation to an extremely limited level based game with very few play choices, slightly more content and slightly more documentation.  Many "profession" choices were slashed from the game with nearly no prior notice.  The combat changed drastically.  The game play itself was almost unrecognizable.  And it was rolled out well before they had any idea where they were going with it.

When the players went nuts over this bait and switch, the company boldly told everyone to STFU, claimed they knew better than the players what the players wanted and that they should just shut up and play like good morons.  They fired their community relations manager because she admitted publicly that this might not have been the smartest way to treat paying customers and expressed discomfort with how things were being done.  They hired new devs, who when they bothered to communicate with the player base at all, often patronized or outright insulted them in no uncertain terms.

Since the NGE has been live, the combat system has been changed drastically many times.  The game is still undergoing large combat changes.  The most recent changes (Jedi and Bounty Hunter first, as always) have set off yet another round of player anger and cancellations. 

Unlike in former incarnations of the game, the latest set of devs and producers are catering primarily to the ground based elite PvP and uber leet PvE set, largely ignoring the casual player and placing more and more of the game out of the realistic reach of those who have neither the time nor the inclination to deal with collecting epic gear from WoW-esque instances and endless PvP grinding.  Those who disliked having to have doctor and entertainer buffs in former versions will be even less enthusiastic over needing not just those, but officer, PvP item buffs, special armor and weapons buffs and faction reward buffs as well.

There is still little sense that SOE does much in the way of quality control.  Every new update breaks something, as it always has.  Server side lag is an increasing issue.  There seems to be a huge gaping memory leak in the client software as well now. 

Regardless, don't take anyone else's word for it.  Try it out for yourself.  Do NOT become attached to any particular style of play however.  This game is in a perpetual state of base systems change.  The only constant is your subscription fees, which remain the highest in the MMO genre.