Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Beta is

Jerid13Jerid13 Member Posts: 465

Beta:

Def.  =   preliminary or testing stage of a software or hardware product; "a beta version"; "beta software"

ALL MMO's are in Beta.

Backup this statement you say?

Alright!

I consider anything where there will never be a "finished" product a beta test.  Since every MMO has updates regularly (or should)  They are all Beta.  It is foolish to say "Oh this game will be fixed once its out of Beta!"

I worked for a call center for tech support for years, and they had a program that helped troubleshoot, they called it a Beta version for all two years I worked there even though we used it from the day I started to the day I quit.

Beta is just an excuse at saying "BUT WAIT WERE NOT DONE!"

I remember back in the day when I was beta testing File Cabinet for Windows 3.1

its called "my computer" now.

I consider Windows a Beta product.

Comments

• ItsAlexItsAlex Member UncommonPosts: 32

Most of the "Betas" are just for testing buggs and unknown errors.

As the way you see the Betas of is wrong, since all games aren't betas, they are just upgrading/patching their game regulary.

And after a beta they wipe the accounts and when they release the game they shouldn't wipe them again. You can also call a Beta something that you just testing the game. Beta is a process in a software creation where selected individuals test the program or game for defects.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Nope.  I understand what you mean, and as some sense, but the right name is "maintenance". All mmos live in a  special "maintenance mode", where get more dev time enhancing stuff than other normal applications, but still is not BETA.   Beta is a process, where you collect data and make some test, after release you don't make these test, beta is over.   

• RipperLordRipperLord Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Teiman

Nope.  I understand what you mean, and as some sense, but the right name is "maintenance". All mmos live in a  special "maintenance mode", where get more dev time enhancing stuff than other normal applications, but still is not BETA.   Beta is a process, where you collect data and make some test, after release you don't make these test, beta is over.   

I would agree with ItsAlex, because IMHO "Beta" is and always was an unofficial release of a game the isnt ready to be released because of bugs and other tech issues. Well thats my understanding of "Beta" at least...

• BispbergBispberg Member Posts: 32

I'd say a released game is GAMMA.

First you have ALPHA, it's the phase where the idea grows and the programmers work their behinds off to get an idea real.

Then you have BETA, where the things has started to actually work, but still some of the programmers work does not, or does not yet exist, which needs to be fixed or rewritten. There's where the beta-testers come in.

Last in line comes GAMMA, the ever advancing phase where the beta-testers have become gamers, and still find the same old code the same old programmers failed to make perfect. An MMO is Gamma.

edit: the greek alphapet is not my specialization, thx for correction ;-)

• MagelanceMagelance Member Posts: 26

I consider alpha the development stages where there are  tons of bugs and only a select few can enter.

Closed beta has several more members and quite a few more bugs where all characters will be wiped at the end. Most bugs discovered and fixed. Content is released without testing and closed beta members help discover the bugs.

Open beta is opened up to draw in large crowds before the official release. No characters are normally wiped. Content needs to be tested and will be released without much testing only if the STORE is not out.

Commercial release is when they add the item mall or store and where no wipes will normally occur. Occasional updates will occur, but they have most of the content from the developer and will add peice by piece every couple of weeks. Testing takes several days by all staff members in order to discover any bugs.

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Bispberg

I'd say a released game is CHARLIE.

First you have ALPHA, it's the phase where the idea grows and the programmers work their behinds off to get an idea real.
    Then you have BETA, where the things has started to actually work, but still some of the programmers work does not, or does not yet exist, which needs to be fixed or rewritten. There's where the beta-testers come in.
    Last in line comes CHARLIE, the ever advancing phase where the beta-testers have become gamers, and still find the same old code the same old programmers failed to make perfect. An MMO is Charlie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet

Senhores da Guerra

• Jerid13Jerid13 Member Posts: 465

my point is that Beta testing used to be the last phase before a finalized released product

V. 1.0

Which yes there are updates past that in most software that is released, even way back when.

its just it seems like nothing is really "Finalized" anymore.

I'm not saying updates are bad, just I wish we had more quality control and a more finished feeling product, not just in MMO's but in all computer software.