Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devs: Think outside the box

Stop making trash games...

Cant make a kick ass game for $49.99 us and $12.00 month?

Cant figure out why people keep trying new games in droves, only to go back to WOW a month later and bitch cuz all the new games dont even come close?

Make a really kick ass game and charge $79.99 for it and charge $29.99/month....Be the first dev on the block to make a premium product.

Heck..charge me $150.00 for it and $29.99/mth...just get me the hell outta WOW.....

(I prefer a MMO set in space if anyones listening, but will settle for fantasy if i have to)

Oh, and P.S. ..there wil be lots of kids who will reply to this lol'ing and /ranting about how noone would be able to afford it or if they could be willing to pay it..

DO NOT BELIEVE THEM FOR A SECOND...you will get an incredible following who will ALWAYS continue to pay for a quality product and will /applaud you for keeping away the riff raff.

Can I get an AMEN brothers?

Comments

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Dev's will start "thinking outside of the box" the day the users "think outside of the box".  There are a number of different and unique games that get few subscriptions, and a "horde" of players that play WoW because are "bandwagon" followers.

Maybe your games suck, because your users suck.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Teiman

Solid point.

Companies only make products they know consumers will buy.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Originally posted by mccoyy
    Cant figure out why people keep trying new games in droves, only to go back to WOW a month later and bitch cuz all the new games dont even come close?
    Make a really kick ass game and charge $79.99 for it and charge $29.99/month....Be the first dev on the block to make a premium product.
    Heck..charge me $150.00 for it and $29.99/mth...just get me the hell outta WOW.....
    (I prefer a MMO set in space if anyones listening, but will settle for fantasy if i have to)
    Oh, and P.S. ..there wil be lots of kids who will reply to this lol'ing and /ranting about how noone would be able to afford it or if they could be willing to pay it..
    DO NOT BELIEVE THEM FOR A SECOND...you will get an incredible following who will ALWAYS continue to pay for a quality product and will /applaud you for keeping away the riff raff.

The simple truth is that as long as gamers keep shelling out money on "riff raff" (as you put it), the big companies will see no reason to change.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

As long as people keep pre-purchasing games and they know the game is most likely still in beta(for months after release) but still buy it anyway companies will still be making and rushing games. Heres a suggestion. If a game is getting ready to be released try to control yourself and wait a few  month to see what happens.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

To be the devils advocate. If they are making millions on a proven blueprint,  I dont blame the Devs. As much as the vocal minority (and yes, we are the minority) complain about needing something new...is a multimillion dollar company going to risk millions to take a risk and perhaps flop? ..when they know they will turn a profit if they follow the pack?

Thats one reason why there are no longer leaps or "revolutionary' games...its all moving in small steps.

Honestly, if I could make 5 million in a year just for turning out a WoW clone..I would too ...and I'd be comfortable with that

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

Define "box".

Also, there are some things money cant buy. Yes, aparently it's hard for you to understand... but it's true.

Senhores da Guerra

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Yeah.  I guess I'll be one of the people who has to go 'lol'ing' and ranting on you.

Find me someone who will actually play 150 dollars for a game, and then  30 dollars a month in the near future.  It is clear you're over exaggerating about the price that you would pay to "get out of WoW".  You are most likely talking out of your ass.  And, if a developer were to charge this much, they would not be making a lot of money, since very few people will subscribe. 

Also, devs will keep making the same games because they don't want to take a risk (which is why I am in interested in games like CoS and APB).  Devs that decide to go out on a limb and risk what they are doing to give a quality game to the players is what I enjoy.  Personally, I will not play any of these asian grinders on the market, and most likely I will wind up waiting for one of the games I am looking forward to. 

Until the asian grinders stop making money, they will keep making games just like it and just hoping to get the same amount of subs that WoW has. (although they never will)

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493
    Originally posted by Torak

Solid point.

True. 

• CeredwynnCeredwynn Member Posts: 124

developers have been thinking outside the box and in return they got nothing but trashed.

cant expect developers to waste their efforts on failed projects when they can invest in something that will.

• mccoyymccoyy Member Posts: 80

I knew someone would say noone can afford $150.00 for entertainment which is complete BS....but I didnt expect things like:

games suck cuz users suck...cant really respond to this as I have no idea what you mean by that..are you inferring that companies make trashy games because they only need to be as good as the people that use them and we'll keep paying for them to turn a profit..you may have a point there.

The only question that I have is are the companies that make the games really that evil? Maybe they are but how will that effect them in the future..not to mention any names but arent there a few people and companies out there that you would never give another dime to? and what of the cost of making the game and the monthly subscription..wouldnt it make sense to keep the subscribers paying over time (not to mention the semi-annual "expansion disc" )rather than lose them and start all over from scratch again? You may say that they turn a profit from mainly the initial sale, but I as a business person would rather look at long term rather than short term profit. (or even better, both!)

Im talking out of my ass.....Not sure what to make of this either but one thing I can tell you is If a company say  like Sony, with super deep pockets, ever decided to make the type of game Im referring to, a premium game for people that dont mind spending more money for a completely kick ass product...you would see alot of people finding the money I'm talking about to play it. AND...is 150 bucks and 30 bucks a month alot? not really...what do you spend on ipod songs, movies, and other stuff right now for entertainment both monthly and yearly?

Bottom line is, I dont go to Mcdonalds for hamburgers, I dont buy my clothes at the goodwill, i dont buy junk cars that fall apart in 3 months, and WHEREVER I DO go to buy things.......even though they are more expensive........those places are....strangely......Very busy ....and the employees look alot happier, wealthier, and motivated than the discount places.

(nothing against Mcdonalds and Goodwill of course ;))

Originally posted by Czzarre

To be the devils advocate. If they are making millions on a proven blueprint,  I dont blame the Devs. As much as the vocal minority (and yes, we are the minority) complain about needing something new...is a multimillion dollar company going to risk millions to take a risk and perhaps flop? ..when they know they will turn a profit if they follow the pack?
    Thats one reason why there are no longer leaps or "revolutionary' games...its all moving in small steps.
    Honestly, if I could make 5 million in a year just for turning out a WoW clone..I would too ...and I'd be comfortable with that

Czzarre,

Dont get me wrong my friend, but I could use an extra 5million bucks myself....however, if you were the president of a company that had any hope of being successful long term, and possibly had shareholders that say, helped you front the bill for that 5 million bucks up front....you wouldnt be around very long and your future as a game maker would get worse adn worse as long as you continued to put crap out....

Let me ask you a question, if Brad Mcquaid surfaced tomorrow and announced his "new" company Gameers Entertainment was developing another game ....would you rush out and pre-order?  Probably not and I doubt too many others would..In fact, Ill bet Mr Mcquaid would have a hard time even turning any type of profit at this point.

This is not a good business model to follow (unless of course your happy being a one hit wonder)...sure, someone gets rich when the company profits 5mill....but probably lots of others lose...not to mention the employees etc...

Originally posted by Ceredwynn

developers have been thinking outside the box and in return they got nothing but trashed.
    cant expect developers to waste their efforts on failed projects when they can invest in something that will.

Can you please give me recent examples of dev's thinking outside the box but got trashed?  thanks.

Dev's will start "thinking outside of the box" the day the users "think outside of the box".  There are a number of different and unique games that get few subscriptions, and a "horde" of players that play WoW because are "bandwagon" followers.

Sorry,

No way your going to convince me here that your not completely wrong...the only bandwagoners here are the ones who agree with you without thinking about it.

I dont disagree that there are some cool games out there...but most of them are so old and outdated now that they really arent viable anymore...when they first came out they were nice but it took them so long to get good, its now too late.

I am not a WOW fanboi...but it proves that people not only will pay for a quality game, but they will KEEP playing it for a long time to come.

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

LOL! $150.00 for an online game and $30 a month to play? ROFL! looks like someone is incredibly delusional, or hasn't come out of mommy and daddy's house. Trust me, once you get out of your basement and start working/living in the real world to pay bills and such, you won't have money to play your "premium" game and you'll have even less time to play it. Sorry pal, once you grow up you'll find out that your priorities change and gaming doesn't become one of those priorities.

Sorry pal, but you'll find that Devs want to make sure that they keep us (the working class players) around, and it would defeat their purpose if they jacked up the price of the game to a ridiculous exponential price.

Can you please give me recent examples of dev's thinking outside the box but got trashed? thanks.

gladly! did you ever play SWG before the current changes? Granted, in the case of SWG the game got trashed by the devs themselves, but it doesn't change the point though since there were people that complained even in the beginning (again, because of the devs.)

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Originally posted by Ceredwynn

Can you please give me recent examples of dev's thinking outside the box but got trashed?  thanks.

No matter what anyone replies with you can just answer with "Yes, but" and it will never work.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Actually many times users think and play outside the box it is called exploiting.

• elfstone222elfstone222 Member Posts: 36

This is what the devs of WAR online are doing. They chose the least popular warhammer universe to use for their MMO just so they wouldn't have to do anything innovative or different for fear of being rejected by the MMO crowd. There's been a nasty trend of cookie cutter MMO's and a building history of anything much different getting trashed or being really unpopular. Frankly I'm really tired of auto-attack, abilities on timers, traditional skill trees, "lawl dwarvs nd elvs nd orcs fightin", realm/faction based PvP, and traditional level based skill/ability/stat progression. It's all been done 100 times, and I don't care what minor tweaks a game adds to these things, they're still very tired and boring concepts. I really don't care if I'm in the minority, I still feel I'm correct in saying that the abbreviation "MMO" is becoming synonamous with all the concepts I mentioned because of re-hashed re-packaged sub-par games.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Which really is a self-defeating concept.  Consumers can only buy games that exist, if nothing but endless WoW clones exist, what choices do the consumers have?

There may be concepts out there that can be much more successful than WoW, but we'll never know if the devs don't have the guts to find out.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by Cephus404

Which really is a self-defeating concept.  Consumers can only buy games that exist, if nothing but endless WoW clones exist, what choices do the consumers have?

There may be concepts out there that can be much more successful than WoW, but we'll never know if the devs don't have the guts to find out.

I know you really can't be serious with such an response and are just trying to joke around. Why don't you get the guts up to build your own game?  No excuses.

Originally posted by FreddyNoNose

I know you really can't be serious with such an response and are just trying to joke around. Why don't you get the guts up to build your own game?  No excuses.

That's about as idiotic as saying "why don't you go build your own car or grow your own food or write your own books".
    Surely you didn't mean to come across as so stupid.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

Originally posted by Cephus404

That's about as idiotic as saying "why don't you go build your own car or grow your own food or write your own books".
    Surely you didn't mean to come across as so stupid.

Just pointing out your style using your style.  IF you think the style is stupid, consider the source I borrowed it from.   The game companies know a lot more  about their business than people in the forums.  If  you think you can do better than them, prove it.  Other than that, what else is there to discuss?  You can come up with all your theories and pat yourself on the back for being "so clever" but it isn't real.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Barrikor

The simple truth is that as long as gamers keep shelling out money on "riff raff" (as you put it), the big companies will see no reason to change.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Well done.

The game companies know a lot more  about their business than people in the forums.  If  you think you can do better than them, prove it.  Other than that, what else is there to discuss?  You can come up with all your theories and pat yourself on the back for being "so clever" but it isn't real.
    The reality is, these companies are in it to make a buck and innovating isn't a guarantee of income.  It's cheaper and easier for them to just follow the crowd and keep making WoW clones because they know there's a market for it.  There could be other markets, perhaps bigger and better markets, but if no one has the guts to try, no one will ever know.

<modedit>

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Sorry,

No way your going to convince me here that your not completely wrong...the only bandwagoners here are the ones who agree with you without thinking about it.

I dont disagree that there are some cool games out there...but most of them are so old and outdated now that they really arent viable anymore...when they first came out they were nice but it took them so long to get good, its now too late.

Nope. I am graphicwhore, and play Planetside. I kind of like the graphics.   If you think "outdated" graphics is bad, look at WoW.

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

I'd excuse you if I found out you were just a bitter developer.  Either way your thinking is completely backwards.  It's the dev's job to make something great.  All they're doing now is trying to compete with blizzard and take a piece of their pie.  The players, well most of them, are screaming for something new when the dev's are just acting like hussling opportunists.  If people keep turning to wow it's because they're following someone who once thought outside the box.  Instead of seeing this and creating their own masterpiece dev's think they should just copy the successful model.  They fail because they're copying the model instead of knowing how to dig deep and get their own ideas.

Solid point.

Wrong.  One company knew how to take a chance and be the first out the gate.  Warcraft was a new concept that caught on like nothing before it.  Same with diablo.  Then blizzard put their successful IP's together to create the most fun mmo to date.  Yeah some people will buy AoC but if they wanted to be notable and massively successful and not just another cookie-cutter mmo they should have made the game notable.  It's not.  They weren't true to their IP at all and had no previous success to build from.