Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Endless Ages: Game Returns, F2P

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Endless Ages, a game once owned and cancelled by now-defunct Rapid Reality, has been obtained by a company called Digital Motion Entertainment and will be offered as a free-to-play game starting on May 1st. Early reseaarch indicates that DME plans to offer in-game advertising to cover their costs.

Digital Motion Entertainment is proud to announce the re-mastered return of Endless Ages. Endless Ages is now 100% completely free to play without restriction and will be opened for Live play as of May 1st 2008! We will challenge and provoke even the best gamers to explore over 100 square miles of virtual landscape filled with new experiences around every turn.

Read more here.

Comments

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Super Moderator

We plan on selling cosmetic items and extras(I was thinking personally that classic jetpacks from gold era might be a good candidate

So it's actually going to be an item shop revenue game. Not interested in playing a game that sponsors or allows RMT or microtransactions.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Samuraisword

Telos
    Super Moderator

We plan on selling cosmetic items and extras(I was thinking personally that classic jetpacks from gold era might be a good candidate

So it's actually going to be an item shop revenue game. Not interested in playing a game that sponsors or allows RMT or microtransactions.
    It's the only way they'll ever make any money after being shut out of ever being pay to play: mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/170220/page/3

Quote from Jason Lee ( after many pages of complaints/concerns being posted ):

"Also, to squash any doubts that people may have, saying were just RR all over again trying to scam money, guess what? We have decided to run Endless Ages completely free to play for life without restriction. Anyone can play the game any time for free. There is absolutely no Pay to Play aspect on Endless Ages any longer.

All the people who pre-ordered are being refunded and everyone is welcome to play the game, absolutely free."

So, if anyone here pre-ordered, best get your money back.

Oh, here's a kicker. If anyone is installing this, be sure to change the install directory, as it has apparently been set to install in the root directory of your hard drive ( very amateurish no-no ). You'll also have to change it again when updating, as it again will try to install the updates to the root directory.

For novice computer users who don't know, you NEVER install anything other than your operating system to your root directory on your hard drive ( a root directory is, for example, C: ), but always put it in a folder directory ( example C:Program Files ). This is for security reasons.

Edit: Well, let's see. Told it to install to D:Program FilesEndlessAgesR, only to find it placing folders all over the Program Files directory. And the patcher just hangs there.

I recommend holding off until this issue is addressed. So far, not very impressed.

Edit 2: Uninstalled and reinstalled. This time, got it to all go in one directory. Still, hit the updater (ENDLESS.exe ) and get a window saying it's downloading patches. But it isn't doing anything. Tried running the EndlessAges.exe and it comes up with a blank black window and had to be shut down from task manager.

Yeah, this game is going places. First visit will be the recycle bin.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I wonder why they forgot to mention the game was 3 years old when RR acquired it... which was run by Avaria first, then X-Src, then RR acquired it, now Digital Motion.

Originally posted by Zorvan

Oh, here's a kicker. If anyone is installing this, be sure to change the install directory, as it has apparently been set to install in the root directory of your hard drive ( very amateurish no-no ). You'll also have to change it again when updating, as it again will try to install the updates to the root directory.
    For novice computer users who don't know, you NEVER install anything other than your operating system to your root directory on your hard drive ( a root directory is, for example, C: ), but always put it in a folder directory ( example C:Program Files ). This is for security reasons.

Edit: Well, let's see. Told it to install to D:Program FilesEndlessAgesR, only to find it placing folders all over the Program Files directory. And the patcher just hangs there.
    I recommend holding off until this issue is addressed. So far, not very impress

I used to have a batch file I wrote that fixed that.  I'll check to see if I still have it... at the time there was great arguement for "load on the fly" (wait till you enter a zone before your computer has it) and "PrePatching" (load all at startup)... I wrote a batch file that bypassed the command for load on the fly and gave you the whole game at startup (like adding "-image" to the Guild Wars Patcher).  It remapped the directory to C:Program FilesRapid RealityPhylon... I'm sure I could edit it in a moment for whatever.

I guess they didn't like my work, or didn't keep it.  It was crude, but effective.  I'll look for it.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

I wonder why they forgot to mention the game was 3 years old when RR acquired it... which was run by Avaria first, then X-Src, then RR acquired it, now Digital Motion.

I recommend holding off until this issue is addressed. So far, not very impress

I used to have a batch file I wrote that fixed that.  I'll check to see if I still have it... at the time there was great arguement for "load on the fly" (wait till you enter a zone before your computer has it) and "PrePatching" (load all at startup)... I wrote a batch file that bypassed the command for load on the fly and gave you the whole game at startup (like adding "-image" to the Guild Wars Patcher).  It remapped the directory to C:Program FilesRapid RealityPhylon... I'm sure I could edit it in a moment for whatever.

I guess they didn't like my work, or didn't keep it.  It was crude, but effective.  I'll look for it.

Alright, I'll give it a shot. Let me know when you find it, I'll see if it works. If you want, just throw it up here in text or in my box and I can batch it on my end.

Edit: gonna crash for a few hours, no work today. I'll try the batch file when I wake up later, if you find it. Or if anyone else post a solution up here to try.

Anyway, I'm out, CG. Later, man.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Can't find it. ...although I DID find a slew of other interesting things I forgot I had stored on that machine...

You should be able to go into your registry (regedit) and find the folder called "Gameworlds" under hkey_local_machine -> Software

Inside there's 2 registry files.  One is called "Install_path"

Point it to wherever you want.  Just export a .reg file first so it's easy to remap back to the original directory.

EDIT:

C:Program FilesEndless Ages

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREGAME_WORLDS]

"INSTALL_PATH"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,

00,20,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,5c,00,45,00,6e,00,64,00,6c,00,65,00,

73,00,73,00,20,00,41,00,67,00,65,00,73,00,5c,00,00,00

Paste that into Notepad and save with a .reg extension (endlessages.reg or ea.reg).

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Alright, I'll give it a shot. Let me know when you find it, I'll see if it works. If you want, just throw it up here in text or in my box and I can batch it on my end.
    Edit: gonna crash for a few hours, no work today. I'll try the batch file when I wake up later, if you find it. Or if anyone else post a solution up here to try.
    Anyway, I'm out, CG. Later, man.

That's what the game did to me, crashed

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Hmm, decided to redownload it.  I seem to be stuck with the C:/ , what will the effects be if I change it?

...im not very good with computers

Edit:  Got it.  Personally, I don't think the game is very good.

I went ahead and dug out an old P3 I had in the garage and let it install where it wanted to. That way, I don't care what happens.

Hmm, it says I get 1000 credits, go get 'em from the bank. Oh wait. The bank don't work lol. So I go buy a blaster, 10 canisters of acid ammo, and 2 heal potions. That's what 98 credits will buy, luckily they were smart enough to put 100 credits in your pocket instead of the bank that doesn't work.

Weapon trainer says to kill 3 "flobs" and loot 'em. Bring back the shells. After roughly 50 shots each at 5 damage points per shot, I have my shells. Now I'll go do an obstacle course.

*Yawn* More hand-eye coordination was required in Donkey Kong Country than the platforms in the "obstacle course".

At this point, I ask myself if I even want to continue. After reflecting on watching my character run like Forrest Gump with a hemorrhoid problem, and seeing completely childish gameplay, along with ground / rocks / trees, etc. that were apparently drawn with a straight edged ruler, I think I've seen enough. Uninstall time.

Am I going to be called superficial because I didn't give the game a chance past twenty minutes? Probably.

But if not wanting to deal with a poorly coded, bleeding eyesore makes me superficial, in this case I'll accept that rather than touch this mess any further.

Least I can put the old comp back in the garage and get back on the good one.

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

To be honest  Zorvan the game you made sucks too and I have yet made fun of it. I'm accepted into AoC Beta yet instead am playing EA.. I enjoy it and yes maybe it does not bring in or target a lot of players.. But the people who do like it enjoy it.

SNIP