Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sorry Guys, Add 5 Hours...

Comments

• nikbotnikbot Member Posts: 44

except that I actually did pay for this...

I think that's a valid gripe.

• OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467

Originally posted by nikbot

except that I actually did pay for this...

I think that's a valid gripe.

errr...no.

Paid for a subscription to fileplanet.......not for AoC OB

Anyone who was a Fileplanet subscriber already....did not pay anything...

:)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
  • SaekoraSaekora Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by therain93

It's beta: delays, crashes, and downtime should be expected.  The fact that everyone around the world will be trying to create characters at roughly the same time is an ideal testing condition.
    Remember, it's not about your fun during this period-- it's about pushing the system so it can be fun fduring go live.  Therefore, please try to have some patience.
    You're full of shit. If they didn't make people pay to get into it, then I might agree; however, they did make people pay, so they better fucking have stable damn servers.
  • OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467

Originally posted by Saekora

It's beta: delays, crashes, and downtime should be expected.  The fact that everyone around the world will be trying to create characters at roughly the same time is an ideal testing condition.
    Remember, it's not about your fun during this period-- it's about pushing the system so it can be fun fduring go live.  Therefore, please try to have some patience.
    You're full of shit. If they didn't make people pay to get into it, then I might agree; however, they did make people pay, so they better fucking have stable damn servers.

Once again..no one made you pay...the OB was free to all Fileplanet sub's and if you wanted to play it sooooooooo baaaaad then the option was there for you to sign up in order to get a chance....

Whats wrong with all these spoilt brats.....^^

:)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Here is a prime example of somebody who is not fit to beta test anything. And doesn't know what he's paying for and to who either. Way to go ;)

• jonchicoinejonchicoine Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by fischsemmel

Originally posted by jonchicoine

Originally posted by pixeldogmeat

lame, they could have pushed these patches down in any of the last 7 days.

Umm... OK, for that matter, why didn't they just include it in the first patch... or even better, release it last year! They're just delaying things as long as possible to piss us off....  very clever of them...

The entire point in saying that something will be ready at X is having it ready at X. It doesn't matter if some issue comes up at the last minute. By having said it would be ready at X, the company should have taken steps to ensure that no issues were able to come up at the last minute. Call me old fashioned, I suppose.

I would say that I'm only getting what I paid for, except that I actually did pay for this...

As a software developer for 15+ years,... that's just not possible in software development, or anything in life actually :)... but especially for software...

However, waiting till the very last second does surprise me.... it amazes me that MMORPG companies haven't figured out how much more forgiving their potential customer base would be if they would simply communicate more....

At the very first hint that something might be wrong, if they had posted something communicating that there might be delay... people would be way more forgiving.

From a PR standpoint... it would of been better to bring the servers up for 3 hours, and then do the patch.

I'm sure most of funcom was up all night, and many haven't slept in days.... Can you imagine, 5 years of work finally being released, with hopes it COULD make you the next blizzard?

As a developer who's worked on a single project for a about 1.5 years, and then preparing for release.... there's always some last minute things that pop up, when you could swear you've tested all that 10 times before.... software is strange like that.

Here's to hoping Funcom finds some success with AoC! Good luck!

Now i guess i should write some code or something... or put in some bugs, so I can get a raise for finding and fixing bugs so fast.... shhhhhhh

Originally posted by Oriphus

Once again..no one made you pay...the OB was free to all Fileplanet sub's and if you wanted to play it sooooooooo baaaaad then the option was there for you to sign up in order to get a chance....

The reasoning Oriphus, is that its not assumed that people have been a subscriber to Fileplanet for very long...they bought the sub in order to play the game.  While I completely understand your logic, people still have to realize that this is not a launch here.  It's beta, and its for Funcom to get ready.  This is upsetting because many people "paid" in a way to test Funcoms servers out.

• Skatty2007Skatty2007 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

Originally posted by fischsemmel

Originally posted by pixeldogmeat

lame, they could have pushed these patches down in any of the last 7 days.

Umm... OK, for that matter, why didn't they just include it in the first patch... or even better, release it last year! They're just delaying things as long as possible to piss us off....  very clever of them...

The entire point in saying that something will be ready at X is having it ready at X. It doesn't matter if some issue comes up at the last minute. By having said it would be ready at X, the company should have taken steps to ensure that no issues were able to come up at the last minute. Call me old fashioned, I suppose.

I would say that I'm only getting what I paid for, except that I actually did pay for this...

As a software developer for 15+ years,... that's just not possible in software development, or anything in life actually :)... but especially for software...

However, waiting till the very last second does surprise me.... it amazes me that MMORPG companies haven't figured out how much more forgiving their potential customer base would be if they would simply communicate more....

At the very first hint that something might be wrong, if they had posted something communicating that there might be delay... people would be way more forgiving.

From a PR standpoint... it would of been better to bring the servers up for 3 hours, and then do the patch.

I'm sure most of funcom was up all night, and many haven't slept in days.... Can you imagine, 5 years of work finally being released, with hopes it COULD make you the next blizzard?

As a developer who's worked on projects for a about 1.5 years.... there's always some last minute things that pop up, when you could swear you've tested all that 10 times before.... software is strange like that.

Here's to hoping Funcom finds some success with AoC! Good luck!

Now i guess i should write some code or something... or put in some bugs, so I can get a raise for finding and fixing bugs so fast.... shhhhhhh

I completly agree.  Being in software for 11 years, the oddest things can crop up at the oddest times for no apparant reason.  The amount of work that goes into the apps that I am the tech lead over in my place of work is gargantuan.  I can't even imagine the amount of work that goes into an app on a scale such as this.  I don't think I even want to know.

One common complaint in IT is that the users just never have a good grasp on the amount of effort, talent, and blood that goes into applications.  I think we can cut them a break for a 5 hour delay.  Its not like anyone of us are perfect or anything.  Plus without the same guys that are creating delays, we'd never have an Age of Conan game to play  in the first place.

Take the good with the bad everyone...

I'm not creative enough to have a signature

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353

I completely agree.

People don't want to test anything. They just want to play for free.

If delays, problems, crashes and unexpected events bother you, then don't enter a beta. It's that simple.

For me, I'll wait until I have the game box, then install and play when AOC is officially released. Looking forward to it.

• mxmissilemxmissile Member UncommonPosts: 275

It's beta: delays, crashes, and downtime should be expected.

FFS, stop calling it a beta, it went GOLD last week. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52346

• mxmissilemxmissile Member UncommonPosts: 275

Originally posted by COORS 

If delays, problems, crashes and unexpected events bother you, then don't enter a beta. It's that simple.

see my post above...

• sweetdreamssweetdreams Member UncommonPosts: 190

I'm a lil pissed.. But oh well, feck it. Shit happens. I think I'm gonna play some EQ2 now.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by COORS

I completely agree.

The problem here is that the FP players are not beta testers. You can call them how you want it won't change anything. They paid to play and they are taking part in this huge marketing machine which is called "open" beta. Beta testers would never pay to do their beta testing work in a beta.

Originally posted by mxmissile

FFS, stop calling it a beta, it went GOLD last week. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52346

We're not playing the Gold DVD, we're playing a Beta client to stress test their boxes for launch.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

The reasoning Oriphus, is that its not assumed that people have been a subscriber to Fileplanet for very long...they bought the sub in order to play the game.  While I completely understand your logic, people still have to realize that this is not a launch here.  It's beta, and its for Funcom to get ready.  This is upsetting because many people "paid" in a way to test Funcoms servers out.

You know what happens when you "assume" don't you? 

The truth is, you opted to subscribe to Fileplanet and, as a perk,  happened to pick up the key.  It doesn't matter what your motive was, you purchased a service and happened to be among the few who got this perk.  What happened to people who subscribed but didn't get a key?  Did they just pay for nothing?  No, they paid for fileplanet's service.

If there are people who are getting upset about this situation, they shouldn't be in a beta test.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by mxmissile

true, but the release client is not the one used in the test.

The beta client has uncompressed textures, logging and debugging code, experimental shaders.....etc.

If components of the beta client (not overall) can be tuned to perform better than the release version, then they will be patched to it.

So, to clarify for you....the beta client is not the same piece of software as the release client.

Originally posted by Vendayn

Its PAID  limited "open" beta , not GOLD release we are playing.

There, corrected it for you.

Originally posted by Saekora

Tourette's much?

Last I checked, they didn't make anyone pay.  See my last post.

You know what happens when you "assume" don't you? 

The truth is, you opted to subscribe to Fileplanet and, as a perk,  happened to pick up the key.  It doesn't matter what your motive was, you purchased a service and happened to be among the few who got this perk.  What happened to people who subscribed but didn't get a key?  Did they just pay for nothing?  No, they paid for fileplanet's service.

If there are people who are getting upset about this situation, they shouldn't be in a beta test.

I wasn't really talking about me.  I'm not upset at all, just providing a counterpoint.

• LadyRenoLadyReno Member Posts: 218

DAMN, oh well I need  to go stock up and to the bank to pay the bills anyway.

What a flawed mind. You can spin it how you want, it won't change what it is.

You sound like one of those undercover FC reps posting on these forums. This is what they call viral marketing, isn't it?

Seriously, the collective ignorance displayed here and in other threads like this proves why open beta is largely a waste of time and is unnecessary.  Some people have no concept of what the purpose of testing is much less the critical thinking capacity to appreciate how the dispersal of keys worked (including that they didn't pay for it.)

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by Vendayn

Its OPEN beta, not GOLD release we are playing. Expect bugs and crashes.

Nice spin on it though

It has as much to do with actual beta as french fries with France or russian dressing with Russia.

The game is not in its beta stage anymore. They use the name for advertising purposes and making money by the way. “Pre-release trial for fileplanet subscribers” would be a much more accurate term, but is much less sexier.

And if something goes wrong they can always say: hey it’s beta…

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Gold release? haha must be his first MMO. WoW.....even UO still have patches to fix and repair stuff and games like SWG still have years old bugs in them and these game are gold for YEARS!

"It is typically almost identical to the final release candidate, with only last-minute bugs fixed. A gold release is considered to be very stable and relatively bug-free with a quality suitable for wide distribution and use by end users"

This is what an gold release is. Even singleplayer game have bug fixes after they gone gold. I do however expect the beta to be low on bugs and most of the problems are from the server related issues . Gold only indicated that code is ready and have noting to do with the server infrastructer.

Originally posted by Vallador 
    It has as much to do with actual beta as french fries with France or russian dressing with Russia.
    The game is not in its beta stage anymore. They use the name for advertising purposes and making money by the way. “Pre-release paid trial for fileplanet subscribers” would be a much more accurate term, but is much less sexier.
    And if something goes wrong they can always say: hey it’s beta…

Gold and beta are two differand things. This beta test is to test the server side of thing with as I stated before has nothing to do with the code of the game. As it is an differand type of infrastructer.

• invizoinvizo Member Posts: 41

You know what, i hate it when this kind of crap happens and then half the community is like "o dont worry guys we are just beta testers, this kind of stuff happens", or like "its a free open beta we should expect delays", the people who say that load of crap r retarded.  Sure its an open beta but they have had plenty of effing time to optimize this game by May 1st, its UNPROFESSIONAL of them to make us wait longer with not at least 24 hours of notice.  if you owned a company and all your employees came to work and the building was under construction thus you having to tell them to go home for 5 more hours, how messed up would that be? They r wasting mine and others precious time.  Funcom needs to learn to become more professional and at least warn us 24 hrs ahead of time.