Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...what WOULD be a WoW killer?

Comments

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

Now that i think of it... isnt about how good a game is. The game must not suck, that is a fact, but doenst have to be the big thing!

The biggest thing WoW teached us was: MARKETING AND PUBLICITY!!!!

Take any of the 'new and good' games, like for prime example LOTRO, and add the amount of marketing and publicity that WoW had, and you WILL have a mass product.

The next big game wont be the best game. It will be the most publicised game.

Senhores da Guerra

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,822

Originally posted by XImpalerX

Im not sure I understand what you mean by "non-gaming franchise"(if im taking what your saying correctly, you mean that Warhammer is not based off of a game? And that Star Wars, The Matrix, and Lord of the Rings are?
    Video gaming.

A prospective "WoW killer" that is based on an existing franchise will be based on a series that originated as a video game.

Warhammer has 25 years of fans but they are not video game fans. Did D&DO and LotRO teach you nothing. LotR has over 50 years of fans but they didnt flock to the video game did they? You can NOT depend on the fans of a non-video game series to support the video game.

However, at this point the only video game franchises(non Blizzard franchises) that could make an attempt would be Halo, GTA or Pokemon(however, it would probably be Wii only which means its user base would be choked).

• veratutazzveratutazz Member UncommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by MarL

Call of duty mmofpsrpg, GTA mmoactionrpg, Quake mmofpsrpg, Halo mmofpsrpg, Battlefield mmofpsrpg, Starcraft mmorts. Wow had a small fan base(before launch) compared to these games.

Wow is missing alot of stuff I consider important in a mmo.
    1. One world not multiple 3000 player servers.
    2. Environmental change.(being able to build or destroy landmarks)
    3. Owning land
    4. An economy
    5. Vehicle combat

agrees
    but i honestly think it comes down to crap computers. Someone with a 56k computer running windows 2000 can play WoW. There are just TOO many poor game-addicted people with crappy computers out there.

Serious gamers demand a good game. The average joe-blow game addict just wants a game that he can play on his stupid PoS he bought on his salary, have fun, and smoke a blunt all at the same time. Tits *cough elf cough* are a bonus only.

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Im not sure I understand what you mean by "non-gaming franchise"(if im taking what your saying correctly, you mean that Warhammer is not based off of a game? And that Star Wars, The Matrix, and Lord of the Rings are?
    Video gaming.

A prospective "WoW killer" that is based on an existing franchise will be based on a series that originated as a video game.

Warhammer has 25 years of fans but they are not video game fans. Did D&DO and LotRO teach you nothing. LotR has over 50 years of fans but they didnt flock to the video game did they? You can NOT depend on the fans of a non-video game series to support the video game.

However, at this point the only video game franchises(non Blizzard franchises) that could make an attempt would be Halo, GTA or Pokemon(however, it would probably be Wii only which means its user base would be choked).

Not a video game...? laololulelu? There's atleast 2 that i know of, but i think (too mutch beer to be sure) there are more.

Senhores da Guerra

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

I know exactly what would kill WoW, its called a computer virus..

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

A Starcraft mmo or Diablo... yes it would have to be a blizzard game.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• rcorvinrcorvin Member Posts: 21

As I have previously expressed, the idea of a 'WoW Killer' is absurd. The top MMOs of the earlier generations are STILL GOING - EverQuest and Ultima Online, that is to say.

It may end up having less players, and it may be nearly a ghost town, but WoW will more than likely be around even longer than EQ1 has.

• bestiacorpusbestiacorpus Member Posts: 114

WoW killer? Not gonna happen anytime soon. Old and new companies don't want to kill WoW. They're thankful that Blizzard made a milestone. People see the mmorpg scene more now because of the ridiculous amount of hype WoW subs brought to the non-gaming world. New companies want a share of what WoW has but the main goal right now is to expand the mmorpg market. Killing WoW now is a very bad idea. Making something that can go toe-to-toe with WoW is the best option for companies right now. Having 2-3-4-or more mmorpgs that have million subs + WoW's 10mil sub is what people should be aiming for. If WoW loses a huge chunk of subs because they transferred to a new mmo, people who have the $$$ will lose interest to fund new projects because they'll notice that the mmorpg market has a cap. Let the 800lb gorilla of the mmorpg market enjoy the throne.

Let's say it's time. What will it take?

1. Better and cheaper technology.

Making a game is not cheap. Making a game that has no ending is worse. We all have ideas we want put in the game. The problem is $ and the limited technology we have.

2. the Pixar of video games 

Who and Why did I pick Pixar? Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo ring a bell? Pixar took down the decades-old 2D animation industry in a blink of an eye then kicking it while it's down and kicking it more with every box office hit year after year. A bit too much? WoW is just 4 years old but it is backed by legions of War/Starcraft + Diablo and Blizzard fans. If there's group of people willing to take the challenge, they must be like Pixar. Pixar made 3D movies with passion. Passion that spilled over to their work. They made 3D movies they too would love watch. They made animated movies that appealed to all age groups. They got Steve Jobs believing in them and we all know how Mr.Jobs is. Imagine a game world made by these people... /cream

What I hate about WoW now is the fact that it's slowly turning into a real McDonalds of mmorpg. People are noticing the half-assed content patch after patch. Content made without the love of the game. It's like having someone, who has no real idea of the game lore, made content just so they can announce an upcoming patch. 

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

There is not a single game that will be a WOW killer. The proof? People are still playing EQ1. If this game is still up on a smaller scale perhaps, then I don't see how WOW is going to ever die in the next 10 to 15 years.

I really dislike WOW but I don't see why everyone is so obsess in seeing WOW dying...

WOW is the Mcdonalds of MMO. You might prefer a real restaurant but 90% of the people on this planet will be happy eating a very unhealthy and cheap burger.

• Alan0nAlan0n Member Posts: 576

Devs of WOW will be the WoW killers.  TBH they have already done it.  PVP arena system is flawed to the point of no return.  More and more players will flee the game cause its no longer a mmo game.  Its a 2v2 minigame where u fight in unbalanced content by cheating and exploiding - to get the best items ingame. 

And.... Its all for the good of E-sporting....  Biggest mistake ever

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

Originally posted by Punk999
    no it wont
  • KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

An online gaming prohibition for childen =)

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

The competition for WoW really isn't much, if you look at all the other top MMOs, eq2, lotro etc... none of them run as smoothly and have as quality gameplay. I think that and the low specs for WoW are what makes it superior for most gamers, especially worldwide where not everyone has state of the art computers.   So until another game comes out that lets folks with average computers play it and meets the standards of gameplay that WoW has, WoW will reign supreme. 

It is all about quality and every other MMO I have tried has fallen short compared to WoW, although I enjoyed some of the other games such as EQ2 and lotro, it would be a lie to say those games reach the same standards and quality that WoW has.  However, I do not like the direction WoW has been going, I get bored silly playing that game anymore unless there is a raid that night.  I find myself having more fun playing NwN2 =/

What is amazing to me is why no one else has truly stepped up to the plate with a polished quality MMO yet.  There are so many half-assed MMOs that have come out since then.  In fact almost all of them have been halfassed and of substandard quality.  Wow has set the standard, and its been 3.5 years, youd think some company  woulda stepped up by now to meet the challenge.

As far as my greatest wish for a MMO, it would be the smoothness of WoW with AD&D hardcore ruleset in a Forgotten Realms setting. 

• KyernaKyerna Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by gath

Video gaming.

Not a video game...? laololulelu? There's atleast 2 that i know of, but i think (too mutch beer to be sure) there are more.

There's three on the fantasy IP; Shadow of the Horned Rat (1995), Dark Omen (1998) and Mark of Chaos (2006). Plenty more on the 40k IP; Dawn of War, Fire Warrior, Chaos Gate, Space Hulk, Rites of War, Space Crusade, ... Seen how immensly well some of these games sold tells you a lot on how long and how much GW's fanboys have been praising their game-gurus. If a craptastic FPS like Fire Warrior actually sells I have no doubt the fanbase would follow them about anywhere.
  • XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606

Fire Warrior actually got good reviews. Granted its not Half Life or Unreal Tournament, but it is a good FPS expierence.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Originally posted by Housam

Originally posted by Punk999

no it wont

Yes it would!!!!!

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

A kick to the crotch. . .takes the "WoW" out of everything.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • DragonOakDragonOak Member Posts: 322

Personally I think Tiny Toons would kick WoW's a$$!

• CyberRebelCyberRebel Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by MarL

Wow is missing alot of stuff I consider important in a mmo.
    1. One world not multiple 3000 player servers.
    2. Environmental change.(being able to build or destroy landmarks)
    3. Owning land
    4. An economy
    5. Vehicle combat

I know of one game that includes most of this and more. I say someone needs to go back and re-release Horizons:Legends of Istaria, but with rewritten code and a new name.

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

Ya alot of older games have some of the features I listed(which is why I listed them im not just making stuff up here).

Now these are just features all games dont have to be the same, I think wow is a terrificly made game, and I played it for a long time. I just dont think we need so many AAA games that are almost the exact same. Why in the world would you try to steal players from a well made game with the same game?

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• vladdie33vladdie33 Member Posts: 1

Hmm, it has been said a few times before in this thread, and I think it is right-on, but the only thing that will take down WoW will be WoW itself as well as the plain 'ol passing of time.

WoW seems to me to be one of a small group of games that ascends to cultural phenomenon. Something that can not be truly duplicated or replaced, but something that will eventually (maybe over many, many years) give way to the next revolution or phenomenon. Grand Theft Auto is another good example of what I mean here.

With that said, I used to play WoW heavily, but I have not had an active account for well over a year now and do not miss it one bit. Personally, I care not whether WoW keeps growing or fades away. But seeing how there seems to be a burgeoning trend of micro-transactions in MMOs, we may just end up having to change the way we define "success" in online gaming.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Nothing is going to beat WoW for world wide appeal. 

Now can something take the place of WoW as the dominate NA/EU Game?  I think so.  Not because a game company is going to be so awesome that it will thrust WoW to the side, but because WoW is getting old and the majority of players are fickel.  Plus Blizzard has been making a lot of decisions lately that seem to be upsetting people.  PVP has been causing more and more nerfs as they try to balance it out.  PVE has been getting more and more nerfs to make it easier to get higher end gear. 

Personally I see these as bandaid fixes.  Blizzard has put themselves into a position where they are trying to appease too many different types of fans and I feel the eventually it is going to bite them in the butt.  They try to appeal to their more casual players and make their "hardcore" raiders upset.  They try to appeal to the PVPers and that upset the raiders as well (since the gear was separated).  Now with this last patch they made high end gear (tier 6ish) easy to get for 5 man groups. 

Personally I see WoTLK either the beginning of the end or a whole new dawn of WoW's appeal. 

But numerous people have said it right.  No game is going to kill WoW.  Blizzard might by their tinkering in the game mechanics, but no other game will do it.  Not even another Blizzard game will kill WoW off (unless Blizzard shuts down the servers for WoW).

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Kyerna

Originally posted by gath

Video gaming.

There's three on the fantasy IP; Shadow of the Horned Rat (1995), Dark Omen (1998) and Mark of Chaos (2006). Plenty more on the 40k IP; Dawn of War, Fire Warrior, Chaos Gate, Space Hulk, Rites of War, Space Crusade, ... Seen how immensly well some of these games sold tells you a lot on how long and how much GW's fanboys have been praising their game-gurus. If a craptastic FPS like Fire Warrior actually sells I have no doubt the fanbase would follow them about anywhere.

None of those games sold anywhere near Blizzard's numbers and they definitly don't carry the legacy of Blizzards games.

• DragonOakDragonOak Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by Cabe2323

Nothing is going to beat WoW for world wide appeal. 
    Now can something take the place of WoW as the dominate NA/EU Game?  I think so.  Not because a game company is going to be so awesome that it will thrust WoW to the side, but because WoW is getting old and the majority of players are fickel.  Plus Blizzard has been making a lot of decisions lately that seem to be upsetting people.  PVP has been causing more and more nerfs as they try to balance it out.  PVE has been getting more and more nerfs to make it easier to get higher end gear. 
    Personally I see these as bandaid fixes.  Blizzard has put themselves into a position where they are trying to appease too many different types of fans and I feel the eventually it is going to bite them in the butt.  They try to appeal to their more casual players and make their "hardcore" raiders upset.  They try to appeal to the PVPers and that upset the raiders as well (since the gear was separated).  Now with this last patch they made high end gear (tier 6ish) easy to get for 5 man groups. 
    Personally I see WoTLK either the beginning of the end or a whole new dawn of WoW's appeal. 
    But numerous people have said it right.  No game is going to kill WoW.  Blizzard might by their tinkering in the game mechanics, but no other game will do it.  Not even another Blizzard game will kill WoW off (unless Blizzard shuts down the servers for WoW).

So 20 years from now you are saying WoW will still be dominate?  Never say never.

• jarishjarish Member Posts: 526

Come on, we all know that the Hello Kitty MMO is going to wipe the floor with WOW.

Brandywine Global LFF chan "/joinchannel glff"