Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most important games machine of all time?

TakodanTakodan Member UncommonPosts: 161

When i think back to all the good times i've had playing games i sometimes really get sick from nostalgia. I LOVED the good old days... the games, the game computers, the video games and during the early years of my life i have owned:

1. A pong-clone
  2. Atari 2600
  3. ColecoVision
  4. Sinclair Spectrum 16k
  5. Sinclair Spectrum 48k (an upgrade of my old 16k)
  6. Commodore 64
  7. Commodore Amiga
  8. PC (386/486 and so on)
  9. Several of the preciding machines and game computers (never a Nintendo machine though)

I was born in 1972 so my point is this... games were better before. At least it felt like it at the time and because i have so strong emotions and fond memories of them, this must still be true? Hands down - too me - the most important game machine EVER, was the Commodore 64. But if you think at it from an "artistic" point of view, todays games do offer so much more in terms of great game play, story, immersion and graphics. So howcome the C64 had such an huge impact on my life - is it because i was younger and more "inexperienced" at the time?

When i'm at work (delivering bread and cookies), almost daily i get a vague sensation of nostalgia that overflows me. I can't explain it, it just happens and they are almost always very hazy, not tied onto any special moment or game experience, just... well, a nice fuzzy feeling and a longing to return to my childhood days of video gaming. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that gaming was a rather new form of entertainment, maybe this is why it still has such a strong affection?

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

The good old C-64 for sure with that gigantic slower than anything on the market hard drive, or tape drive for the old crusties out there.

Maybe it was so special, because at the time it was cutting edge and most didn't really understand computers. 

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Owned several machines myself...favorites Atari 2600...C-64...NES..3DO(despite limit of quality games). The games today are visually exceptional (usually)..but theres is rarely  the same joy /entertainment value as the first 20 years of my gaming experiences.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Whats wrong with Nintendo?

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Games started to suck when Nintendo was released.  Its when games became all about graphics graphics graphics.  No longer are people appeased with simple white triangle.  They need a 16x16 pixel plumber in red, tan, and blue.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

It all started from C-128. Put the cassette in, rewind it in correct place and "press play on tape". Cross your fingers and if everything went all right, in around 5 minutes you were able to start warming your sweet old TAC-2. Too bad I can't remember any of my favourite games from that time... Whenever I make up something, I'm not sure if it was on C64/C128 or on Amiga.

DOGS OF WAR!!  Amiga...

IT CAME FROM THE DESERT! Amiga...

HIRED GUNS! A m i g a .

OUTRUN!? I think that was made on Commodore?

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Arndur

Whats wrong with Nintendo?
    Nothing.

Just as WoW broke open online gaming by making it desirable to the masses, the Nintendo Entertainment System ( or NES;  known as the Famicon in Japan ) broke the barriers of console gaming, placing millions of people into the gaming realm.

Although Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, and others found limited placement in peoples home, the NES placed consoles in homes all over the world.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Nothing.

Just as WoW broke open online gaming by making it desirable to the masses, the Nintendo Entertainment System ( or NES;  known as the Famicon in Japan ) broke the barriers of console gaming, placing millions of people into the gaming realm.
    Although Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, and others found limited placement in peoples home, the NES placed consoles in homes all over the world.

Holy sh... You are just bragging there with your information Zorvan. I'm going to add you into my search bar, just in case I come up with something that even google can't solve.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

so nintendo killed gaming according to some of you? LOL

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by CleffyII

Games started to suck when Nintendo was released.  Its when games became all about graphics graphics graphics.  No longer are people appeased with simple white triangle.  They need a 16x16 pixel plumber in red, tan, and blue.

Super Mario 64? Zelda Orcania of Time? Goldeneye? yeah they sucked.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

NES had some seriously great games...I'd have to disagree with nintendo ruining games.