Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't want to sound like an alarmist but...

ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

There have been a large number of earthquakes in and around the Reno, NV area over the last month or so.  They have not been very powerful thus far, but are considered unusual especially due to their frequency.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080430/ap_on_sc/reno_earthquakes

At the same time, scientists have been monitoring another atypical spat of earthquakes off the coast of Oregon.  In fact, seismologists have never witnessed such a large number (over 600) of quakes in this region before.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080413184801.htm

Are these two phenomena in any way related?  Could this be the prelude to a larger event in the near future?  I certainly hope not.  Let's hope this is just the earth's way of scratching its crotch.

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Well now I'm alarmed, you non alarmist.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

I for one would not miss california.

If it fell into the ocean and became its own island country and never bothered us again i would be happy.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

You sound so cool for saying that, Vampir.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

hmmm there are a few power plants along the coast of California, One experimental and two commercial.  that could get to be pretty interesting.

lots of internet infrastucture which could be interesting for a while, but since the US internet is based around things going BOOM!!! missile command style the only thing you'd need to worry about in improperly backed up data.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/nation/story/85FD230AAFCED4D08625742F003769F5?OpenDocument

Lets not forget the recent missouri quake. something big is a brewin.

• BlomiBlomi Member Posts: 200

Could be a HAARP operation.

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Lanmoragon

You sound so cool for saying that, Vampir.
    No california aside from relatively fine vintages of wine is ridiculous.

Their "environmental standards" are ridiculous to say the least.

These are the environmentalists who are retarded enough to require smog pumps to be put on vehicles(clean air act of 1974) smog pumps made the gas crisis much worse, sure they saved the air a little bit, but they reduced mileage on a considerable portion of vehicles by as much as 1/3.

Lets also not forget who lives in hollywood. Britney spears, tom cruise, nutjobs all around.

LA is the capitol for idiots who get on television worldwide.

I have no problem with conservative democrats, or even liberals but california liberals are a breed of pure idiocy apart.

California produces more idiocy, stupid laws that get picked up by other idiots nation wide, and overall rampant for lack of a better term godlessness(even though im not religious)

from my point of view.

If anyone challlenges me on environmentalism they better damn well know what both a smog pump and  a catalytic converter are beforehand, then also know how diesel, E85 ethanol, and other fuels produce different emissions.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Well the earthquakes off the coast of Oregon are likely linked to a emerging volcano. There quite a number of under ocean volcanos in that area. The ones in reno are possibly linked to the ones in MI because of a ripple effect as the continent adjusts. All in all nothing to bad to worry about. Big earthquakes happen all the time. We just have to deal with the aftermath

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

As long as silicon valley is still there im good.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• Par-SalianPar-Salian Member Posts: 284

Well, it's not like California is going to float away or sink into the ocean.  The large number of earthquakes is because most of the state is at the junction of two tectonic plates, moving against each other very slowly, "horizontally" (or North and South).  Eventually the shape of the continent will change, as it has many times over billions of years.

• kimmarkimmar Member Posts: 446

Originally posted by Vampir

If it fell into the ocean and became its own island country and never bothered us again i would be happy.
    Ouch!

Thanks for wishing for my families death.  I appreciate your concern. 

Have you ever been to California?  It's actually some very beautiful and rugged country.  Maybe you're just having a bad day.

You can disagree with some of the people here, but we're not all like that.  And to wish for someone to die because you disagree with them, geeeeeez!  Maybe you should just try changing their minds.  There might be some hope for them yet.  I've changed my mind on more than one occasion.  Haven't you?

=============================
    It all seems so stupid
    It makes me want to give up
    But why should I give up
    When it all seems so stupid

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Originally posted by kimmar

Originally posted by Vampir

Ouch!

Thanks for wishing for my families death.  I appreciate your concern. 

Have you ever been to California?  It's actually some very beautiful and rugged country.  Maybe you're just having a bad day.

You can disagree with some of the people here, but we're not all like that.  And to wish for someone to die because you disagree with them, geeeeeez!  Maybe you should just try changing their minds.  There might be some hope for them yet.  I've changed my mind on more than one occasion.  Haven't you?

I think he meant the land, not the people

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Blomi

Could be a HAARP operation.
    What the hell does the ionospheric research of the HAARP project have to do with earthquakes in Nevada and Oregon? This isn't another one of your half-baked conspiracy theories is it? Put your tinfoil hat back on and everything will be OK dude. 

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }