Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are PvP (Guild V Guild) Sieges Instanced?

I'm guessing they are thanks.

Comments

• boomerangxboomerangx Member Posts: 254

they are not, battlekeeps are out in the open

I play a lot of games...

• WhiteScionWhiteScion Member Posts: 67

No way, It sounded too good to be truth!

Brilliant News! Thanks Man!

Now I'm Hyped. Finally.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905
    Originally posted by boomerangx

they are not, battlekeeps are out in the open

From what I've read PvP battlekeeps/forts will be in the Borderlands, one of the largest areas in the game and the PvP-focused area. Player cities will be instanced however (for PvE guilds)

• LL Member Posts: 70

right when i saw this i said to myself "what a dummy doesn't know that it will be open."

But then i thought... This is going to be very interesting. Defending not only the other mass guild that attacks your guilds keep but the random people out and about. There are a lot of scenarios that could happen but one that struck my mind was, what if the Guild(s) attacking your keep got ambushed by an opposing guild. Not a backstab, but more of a ganking scenario... just a massive guild gank.

There is now the possibility of mercenaries and favors to call, this brings me back to a game called Fung Wan Online ( AKA Storm Riders online) But if i can remember there was 5 permanent guilds and guild keeps where players could duke it out. Not only for a set in stone benefit, but for becoming the most powerful guild. Well we will have to see how well this aspect will take off or if everyone will just do instanced PvP which has killed so much of choice and the thrill of the fight.

LØST

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Originally posted by LØST

right when i saw this i said to myself "what a dummy doesn't know that it will be open."

But then i thought... This is going to be very interesting. Defending not only the other mass guild that attacks your guilds keep but the random people out and about. There are a lot of scenarios that could happen but one that struck my mind was, what if the Guild(s) attacking your keep got ambushed by an opposing guild. Not a backstab, but more of a ganking scenario... just a massive guild gank.

There is now the possibility of mercenaries and favors to call, this brings me back to a game called Fung Wan Online ( AKA Storm Riders online) But if i can remember there was 5 permanent guilds and guild keeps where players could duke it out. Not only for a set in stone benefit, but for becoming the most powerful guild. Well we will have to see how well this aspect will take off or if everyone will just do instanced PvP which has killed so much of choice and the thrill of the fight.

This is an interesting post. If the battlekeeps are not instanced, it could raise very interesting scenarios. Brings me back to EVE Online: my corp was on the verge of destruction. Our owned station was about to be destroyed (our own player gave the enemy corp the location of our station for a ton of money). We called on a favour of a friendly alliance and they arrived and totally annilated the attacking corp.

Stuff like this could happen in AoC. I can see big guild alliances forming and even politics arising with player-made borders and such. If not instanced the possibilities are endless.

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

Sieges are not instanced however you can not just attack someones keep. Your guild has to que to attack one and it must be within the window the keep owner sets up. If serveral guilds que to attack a keep then the guild with the most siege points gets the chance to attack. If they win they take over the keep and will then set up their window.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Basically, yes. It kind of sucks. Dark Age of Camelot had it right, AoC kind of missed because they wanted to make everyone happy. Then again it is a little harder without designated Realms.

• thesweetmeatthesweetmeat Member UncommonPosts: 5

Although they are not instanced it seems that they will have very specific caps and can only be attacked at certain times of the day/week.  Don't listen to people here, I read the first few responses and it sounds like they're really misinformed.  If you want a little better information, you should go to the forums at the AoC community website. 

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

The daoc system would be pretty unforgiving in this game. You would need a guild or an alliance of guilds so big that you could defend a keep 24/7 against the entire server basically.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Originally posted by skeptical

The daoc system would be pretty unforgiving in this game. You would need a guild or an alliance of guilds so big that you could defend a keep 24/7 against the entire server basically.
    Right, which is why I added that without designated realms it is a bit rough. Guilds in DAoC controled keeps too, its just they weren't huge vastly important and expensive cities. Expensive yes, but not a death knell if the keep got taken over, cause thats the point.

AoC puts more weight on the city, so I guess it makes sense if its not FFA, but I sure don't think its nearly as much fun :/

• BoosthungryBoosthungry Member Posts: 137

They are not instanced BUT:

as stated there will be set times for the sieges to take place

AND there will some how be a limit to how many people can attack the battlekeep, which is very confusing imo because it's in the open world? are giant walls going to srping out of the ground?

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Boosthungry

They are not instanced BUT:
    as stated there will be set times for the sieges to take place
    AND there will some how be a limit to how many people can attack the battlekeep, which is very confusing imo because it's in the open world? are giant walls going to srping out of the ground?
    Yep, this is one of my concerns.  How exactly is Funcom going to designate defenders and attackers, more importantly, how will they stop other random players or guilds from stepping between the two sides?  Will they be invulnerable to non-siege players until the time limit is up?  Will wall be erected around the area so that no one can get in, or out?  Is there going to be invisible walls? 

No idea.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Look no further than Lineage 2 for the answer to that.

Basically anyone not sitting down (aka declaring himself an observer by this non-aggressive act) was a free game for both sides, since neither would want people on their backs harassing the attack (the defenders usually did not have such an issue).

• BoosthungryBoosthungry Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Look no further than Lineage 2 for the answer to that.
    Basically anyone not sitting down (aka declaring himself an observer by this non-aggressive act) was a free game for both sides, since neither would want people on their backs harassing the attack (the defenders usually did not have such an issue).

Basically what your saying is that anyone can join in and the only thing stopping people is that both the defenders and attackers could attack them?  Funcom already said thats not how it's going to be.  That wouldn't work because the attackers could say, "Everyone attack the keep and we wont attack you" and therefore the keep would fall.  Funcom doesn't want the attackers or the defenders to be able to yell in the serverwide chats for help, they want them to go and hire guilds for help or fight on thier own. 

• Sylar3Sylar3 Member Posts: 118

I think it is going to be like this:

1) The guild declares an attack

2) Once the BK owner accepts this attack both guilds go to an instanced battle arena

3) you dog it out until one guild wins

4) both guilds get teleported back to Border Kingdoms and the damage is shown or something.

Not to sure of the last one but I can see this kind of thing happening.

Well any news regarding this would be nice like official. I will try to dig something up but whats happening is siege PvP is one of thos throw on things to me. They go in depth with Mini-game (instanced PvP) but do not state the siege PvP they are keeping the information really tight on this.

LØST

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

So I gather its similar to the GCW in swg with the base attacks?  I think it's a good idea to have times, what's the fun in taking a keep when everyone is in bed.. lol ok don't answer that..

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

To Boosthungry:

I replied on how another game solved this issue, not how AoC will handle it. Sorry for the confusion.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

you can't attack when ever you please though.

slyar is right the actually battle is likely to be instanced (speculation). although I think they have said anyone can join in, your alliance can help (there is no official alliance system!), so maybe we're wrong.

My blog: image

• jus10datljus10datl Member Posts: 45

So many misinformed spreading more misinformation. AoC would NOT be very fun if your keep was attackable 24/7, why? Because your castles will help you get closer to certain dungeons/places that other guilds will be jealous of and want to take over your guilds great field position. The Keep is suppose to be something of great value, not something you lose overnight because half the guild was too busy with real life matters to play.

Do you really expect a castle to be defended by real people 24/7??? If you do than you have no life or expect others to have ZERO life and this is JUST A GAME.

If your guild wants to attack a keep you will have to earn the right to taking... kind of like boxing and earning a title shot but instead... its Conan...

Your guild will earn points to be the #1 Contender for a take over... A great system which is plain and simple.

• virtuellavirtuella Member UncommonPosts: 699

Sadly i think that the battle sieges are instanced.

It's almost the only way they can keep the playercap i assume there would be since it's not free for everyone to attack,so there has to be some sort of a cap for how many players that can attend at a battlesiege.

Huge letdown if battlesieges are instanced.

I wonder if it's their engine that can't handle to many players on screen at once so they are forced to make battlesieges instanced,so we wont see epic battles DAOC style with several hundred players involved in big scale battles.

They say their Cheetah 2 engine can have 800+ NPCs on the battlefield and their PC's still ran with 25+ FPS but i bet that is not something that is possible with 800 players.

I hope things change a bit sooner or later so it ends up a bit like DAOC's sieges and not some instanced junk with a cap on how many players can join a battle.

As i understand it now a guild can gather PvP points and challenge those who has a battlekeep and then those earned guildpvp points is removed before or after the battle has taken place.

That's all nice and so because then smaller guilds can save up PvP points so they one day can become the ones who challenges a battlekeep,but what if there is a cap how many players that can be involved.

That would totally suck for huge guilds if someone has to forefit and stay away from the battlekeepsiegefights,because those players helped build up the PvP points that lead into the challenge in the first place and after the fight is over those points are gone.

Or am i misunderstanding something?

I read it so there is a cap in siegefights and that the challengeers loose their points after the match is done.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

Seige Warfare is one of the very few MMORPG Game mechanics that should be structured. If AoC  Devs had chosen to make each Battlekeep its own instance, they would have really screwed this up. Luckily they kept things open in the entire Borderlands.

I personally hate the instanced Player Cities, but I like how you will have neighbors in your instance. It will be great getting to know the  neighbor guilds and really allows for a whole other dimension in social interaction. As great as it would be forming major alliances with the other guilds in your instance, making enemies of one or more of them would really spice up the game. Not just with borderlands, but also on Open PvP Servers.

• jonchicoinejonchicoine Member Posts: 77

NPC AI takes more resources than a normal player toon. In the radio interview posted in these forums a few today,  of the aoc dev's mentioned 500 player battles being doable.... if that's true... then i'll bet both the attacking and defending guilds will have use hired guns...

can't wait!

• RazriusRazrius Member Posts: 32

My bet is that they will instanced as their video stated the battle will be between 2 guilds and it will be set previously and no other can attack during that time.

So technically speaking they probably set an ID for both the defenders guild members and the attacker guild members to an instance of their battlekeep.

Perhaps I am wrong and they figured out how to place these battlekeeps in an open world where a 100+ people can quest and how to seperate them to not join the fray.

/bump

LØST