Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...what is there to do nowadays?

Narc1Narc1 Member Posts: 46

Well I decided to come back to SWG for a month or two while waiting for Age of Conan (please no more delays!) having recently stopped playing WoW due to boredom. So my question is, what is there really to do nowadays in the game? It seems that running heroics constantly is 1 thing (which was essentially what drove me from WoW) or random world pvp which I can't seem to compete in right now because my guy's gear is nowhere up to par with some of these players.

Playing on Bria where I left I had somewhere around 40 million credits which back when I quit was a sizable amount of money and now it seems like it's barely enough for a set of armor :/, how does a casual/clueless player to the NGE overcome massive inflation if gear is only accessible to the wealthy?

I swear it feels like WoW spoiled me a bit because everything was basically handed to you on a plate, if you wanted a piece of gear, you knew exactly what you needed to do via PvP/PvE to get it, just feel super lost coming back to this game and really its a big turn off from the game.

Comments

• esemgee77esemgee77 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Narc1

Well I decided to come back to SWG for a month or two while waiting for Age of Conan (please no more delays!) having recently stopped playing WoW due to boredom. So my question is, what is there really to do nowadays in the game? It seems that running heroics constantly is 1 thing (which was essentially what drove me from WoW) or random world pvp which I can't seem to compete in right now because my guy's gear is nowhere up to par with some of these players.
    Playing on Bria where I left I had somewhere around 40 million credits which back when I quit was a sizable amount of money and now it seems like it's barely enough for a set of armor :/, how does a casual/clueless player to the NGE overcome massive inflation if gear is only accessible to the wealthy?
    I swear it feels like WoW spoiled me a bit because everything was basically handed to you on a plate, if you wanted a piece of gear, you knew exactly what you needed to do via PvP/PvE to get it, just feel super lost coming back to this game and really its a big turn off from the game.

You can either do mindless collections or do the cookie-cutter "heroic" instances.

• Narc1Narc1 Member Posts: 46

yea I was worried someone would say that... even post CU it was never this bad, feels like such a lack of things to do now :/

• esemgee77esemgee77 Member Posts: 8

Yeah basically SOE tried to copy WoW to get more subscribers...they just didn't do a very good job of it.

• HastorHadronHastorHadron Member Posts: 187

When was the last time you played. Depending on when you left there may be some fun stuff to do to kill time while waiting for Conan by CROM!

I started a new toon on Bria several months ago. If I can help send Hawley a tell. Lol trying to be an armorsmith but being on a budget makes finding good resources a little tough !

• Sam123jo0123Sam123jo0123 Member Posts: 409

yea I was worried someone would say that... even post CU it was never this bad, feels like such a lack of things to do now :/

It's best to take an answer from someone who plays the game.

I'll try to sum it up;

Quest

Explore

Travel

Kill

Hunt

Raise a pet

Join a guild

Fly in space

Craft Structures

Build a city

My current pet is rather adorable :)

If you need any help you can message me in-game, PM me and i can send you my name :)

Account has been stolen, why would someone want to steal my account?

Originally posted by Sam123jo0123

I'll try to sum it up;

Quest

Explore

Travel

Kill

Hunt

Raise a pet

Join a guild

Fly in space

Craft Structures

Build a city

If you need any help you can message me in-game, PM me and i can send you my name :)

It just dawned on me that i missed out PVP and GCW, Rebels for-the-win.

• rejadrejad Member Posts: 346

I'll try to sum it up;

Quest

Explore

Travel

Kill

Hunt

Raise a pet

Join a guild

Fly in space

Craft Structures

Build a city

As he is returning to the game and your list is everything from preCU, he's probably already done all of that and is sitting on a level 80+ character.  And speaking as someone who was playing the game until just recently I have to say that most of what is done is "same as it ever was" PvP in Restuss, Heroic Instances (which he has said is the reason why he quit WoW and if you don't think they aren't just like WoW's instances then you've obviously never played WoW), and collections (yaay, massive grinding with minimal reward, like a free Korean MMO but with more lag!).

So to better answer his question, basically nothing he hasn't already done.

Originally posted by rejad

I'll try to sum it up;

Quest

Explore

Travel

Kill

Hunt

Raise a pet

Join a guild

Fly in space

Craft Structures

Build a city

As he is returning to the game and your list is everything from preCU, he's probably already done all of that and is sitting on a level 80+ character.  And speaking as someone who was playing the game until just recently I have to say that most of what is done is "same as it ever was" PvP in Restuss, Heroic Instances (which he has said is the reason why he quit WoW and if you don't think they aren't just like WoW's instances then you've obviously never played WoW), and collections (yaay, massive grinding with minimal reward, like a free Korean MMO but with more lag!).

Why keep living when you had already lived for 1 day?

• RelCenturicaRelCenturica Member Posts: 80

I'll try to sum it up;

Quest

Explore

Travel

Kill

Hunt

Raise a pet

Join a guild

Fly in space

Craft Structures

Build a city

Speaking from a crafter's point of view... I think the better way to put it is "There is no point in doing it again"

Quests are endless. At least when we had mission terminals we did things as a collective group, and the missions paid handsomely.

Exploration for a veteran is pretty much little to no value. Most vets would have seen most of the POIs, if not all of them. Exploration has to end somewhere.

Kill and hunt. Kill for what? More xp? At least when we had rangers and bio-engineers, killing actually had more of a purpose. Harvest hide, meat and bone for crafters (Crafting is dead now, more on that later)

Raise a pet? Its like WoW's buy a tabby. Creature Handlers back in the day were way better than the pets they shoved back into the game.

Crafting is dead. With those darn Anti-Decay Kits, instant travel, no wait shuttles. There used to be a sustainable demand for all things. So if you were any good a crafter, you could make a living even without fighting. Quality was a factor as well... people SOUGHT after good stuff, and those that supply usually gets a name for him/herself. Not to mention lootable stuff now outweight crafted items.

Its true SWG-NGE serves a different audience now. For those audience, you will enjoy the game, in whatever way that you do. And we'd be happy for you in that sense.

But SWG Pre-CU was a completely different thing, which sadly those of you who never tried it will never be able to.

"There's one MMO developer that doesn't want the money put in front of them - SOE"

Originally posted by RelCenturica

I'll try to sum it up;

Quest

Explore

Travel

Kill

Hunt

Raise a pet

Join a guild

Fly in space

Craft Structures

Build a city

Speaking from a crafter's point of view... I think the better way to put it is "There is no point in doing it again"

Quests are endless. At least when we had mission terminals we did things as a collective group, and the missions paid handsomely.

Missions Terminals are still availible

Exploration for a veteran is pretty much little to no value. Most vets would have seen most of the POIs, if not all of them. Exploration has to end somewhere.

Two new planets have been added

Kill and hunt. Kill for what? More xp? At least when we had rangers and bio-engineers, killing actually had more of a purpose. Harvest hide, meat and bone for crafters (Crafting is dead now, more on that later)

Kill for DNA , Enzymes for pets, Hides, Meat for crafting.

Raise a pet? Its like WoW's buy a tabby. Creature Handlers back in the day were way better than the pets they shoved back into the game.

You create your own pet from DNA, pick attributes, raise it.

Crafting is dead. With those darn Anti-Decay Kits, instant travel, no wait shuttles. There used to be a sustainable demand for all things. So if you were any good a crafter, you could make a living even without fighting. Quality was a factor as well... people SOUGHT after good stuff, and those that supply usually gets a name for him/herself. Not to mention lootable stuff now outweight crafted items.

Its true SWG-NGE serves a different audience now. For those audience, you will enjoy the game, in whatever way that you do. And we'd be happy for you in that sense.

But SWG Pre-CU was a completely different thing, which sadly those of you who never tried it will never be able to.

Mission Terminals that still pay 700k for 5 man missions? Taking down targets that require travel, co-ordination?

They can add a thousand planets for all I care. Exploration is a minor part of a game. You see and go Oooohh... and move on.

Pets. Oh pets... Bio-Engineers and Creature Handlers were the experts of pets. Not an expertise tree. It would take pages to lay out what Pre-CU BE and CH professions were like.

But still in the end, Crafting is dead. Less you're crafting solely for your own use.

When the tag line read "Live the greatest saga ever told - Yours" came up when the game was first introduced, it was true to its meaning. MY SAGA. Whether I was a tailor that provided custom made threads, or a ranger that always came in handy with my camps and traps, a politician that ran a well built city, a droid engineer that provided all kinds of quality and functional bots, commando that hit hard but capable of healing as well, a smuggler slicing weapons behind Imperial's backs... it was MY SAGA.

Not Jedi, not Officer, not Commando, not any of those preset destinies. But a destiny of my own choosing.

"There's one MMO developer that doesn't want the money put in front of them - SOE"

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

There is essentially nothing for you to do.  A lot of the stuff to do (which isn't much) is a lesser version of what Pre-CU offered.

I would just wait for AoC.

Tecmo Bowl.

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

from what i've seen this is what you have to do

farm credits

cyber people

do really bad pvp in a really bad pvp system that no one likes

doing really bad boss quests that drop useless items

unlike pre-cu where you had 100's of quests 250k people to do things with pvp that lasted a whole weekend and the greatest system of all being able to make your own jedi knight.

• 1. Go on a galactic scavenger hunt for junk.  Yeah, this was in the movies.

2. Go run the same scripted (single solution) "heroic" foozle encounters every night hoping for uber loot.

3. Try to find another living non AFK person on 20 of the 25 servers.

*sigh*

On any particular day back during Pre-CU, there is an amount of interesting things to do. And it doesn't involve any of the crap things offered today.

Player Cities were always bustling with activity... Capitols were always filled with people buzzing around on their business... Base raids were planned to huge groups of 40 or more people... Crafters sold their wares with a friendly fight of who has made the better stuff.

Its just incomprehensible why they won't just provide a classic server... they're subscriptions would skyrocket. The controvesy talk over the years has already made that apparant. Sure it won't be like WoW, but 250k is always better than 10k.

• rejadrejad Member Posts: 346

I'll try to sum it up;

Quest
    Explore
    Travel
    Kill
    Hunt
    Raise a pet
    Join a guild
    Fly in space
    Craft Structures
    Build a city

As he is returning to the game and your list is everything from preCU, he's probably already done all of that and is sitting on a level 80+ character. And speaking as someone who was playing the game until just recently I have to say that most of what is done is "same as it ever was" PvP in Restuss, Heroic Instances (which he has said is the reason why he quit WoW and if you don't think they aren't just like WoW's instances then you've obviously never played WoW), and collections (yaay, massive grinding with minimal reward, like a free Korean MMO but with more lag!).

Why keep living when you had already lived for 1 day?

That is the lamest attempt at logic I have ever seen, but I'll respond anyway.

Life is something you make the best of. A video game is something you either enjoy or toss in the dust bin or leave on the game store shelf. Anyway, back to the POINT of the conversation before you derailed it with an unrelated and flawed analogy, he asked what was there to do that was different than what he had already done and I told him essentially nothing. He's explored all of SWG and all of the features that make it unique and he's partaken of the "new" content already in WoW.

That was the point. What was new that he was not already bored with? Answer: nothing. This isn't whether the game is good, its whether there was anything new to him, and there wasn't.

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

The heroic encounters are not "single solution", ROFL.

In pre-cu content was trying to outdamage the afk'er in the bottom of the Borgal Bat cave for the uber SEA, content was endlessly farming Krayts for pearls. When the village came out the content was the endless "spin groups" farming pickets on Dant only breaking away to make that magical 6K drive to and from the village to turn in xp.

Face it the game back then was really lacking content, thats what was on the official boards as the number one complaint.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

Originally posted by Gutboy

The heroic encounters are not "single solution", ROFL.
    In pre-cu content was trying to outdamage the afk'er in the bottom of the Borgal Bat cave for the uber SEA, content was endlessly farming Krayts for pearls. When the village came out the content was the endless "spin groups" farming pickets on Dant only breaking away to make that magical 6K drive to and from the village to turn in xp.
    Face it the game back then was really lacking content, thats what was on the official boards as the number one complaint.

Now the number one complaint is there are no players playing anymore. 

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor