Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a New computer!!First timeer

SillyideaSillyidea Member Posts: 12

Omg thats twice while trying to post this forum thingy has erased it because it hit backspace at the wrong time...anyways..

I need some help figureing out if I am getting the right componets for a comupter I am trying to build. Money is not to big of a deal on anything but the motherboard since I work at a computer store and get a awsome discount on memory and stuff but I am posting off of newegg. All I need really is help to figure out the memory timing and if I am getting the right parts. O and power supply..I don't understand how power of a power supply I should get..thanks again

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

XCLIO A380BK Fully Black High Gloss Finish SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case++++++LOVE THIS CASE

XCLIO Greatpower 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V 1200W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO - Retail-------++++Am I gonna need this much power?

Sony NEC Optiarc Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM

What sort of video card should I go with..not sure what would be good, if I should go big now or wait till later and more are DriectX10 compatable

Comments

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Chosen memory is fine for that motherboard.  Power really depends on which video card you will be using but no mate, you dont need one that big.  For the rig you have there then 700 - 800 watt will be fine even with a large graphics card.  As for that card it all depends on what you can afford but with that motherboard the top end GX2 would be a waste of money really as the speed increase over the 8800GTX range isn't that high and you wouldn't notice it.

Word to the wise here.  One of the MAJOR components is the motherboard and will have a direct effect on the overall speed of the machine as a whole.  You get what you pay for so buying cheap is something that would come back to bite you on the ass, however, the top end 790 boards are way overpriced at thye moment and the 780's are not far behind.  I would look at a good 680 board, something like the Asus Striker extreme which also gives you the option of SLi where the Intel chipset does not.

• Sam123jo0123Sam123jo0123 Member Posts: 409

If your a first timer i would recommend buying a whole PC as things can get tricky if you don't have technical experience. ( Ready build)

Account has been stolen, why would someone want to steal my account?

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Originally posted by Sam123jo0123

If your a first timer i would recommend buying a whole PC as things can get tricky if you don't have technical experience. ( Ready build)

Everyone's gotta start somewhere lol

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

get a 3870 if you have a budget
    a 3870x2 if you have a bigger budget

or wait for the 4870x2. which ati say will have the fastest chips in the world.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Technically, ATi right now has the fastest graphics chips in the world, so it really isn't a stretch.  The difference with the ATi 4xxx series is that they are addressing the bottleneck in the 2xxx and 3xxx series.  The amount of textures they can process at a time.

If its your first time, I recommend a bare-bones kit.  I started to build computers using a barebones, then afterwords felt confident enough to build one from just parts.

Also your power supply is way overkill.  Usually a 1200 watt supply is used in servers running many HDD, Quad GPU setup, and workstations.  Its not like you will constantly use 1200 watts since power is drawn on-demand, but you can save a few hundred by going to a more modest power supply like a 650-800 watt.

On memory timing you want the first 3 numbers to be low and the last one to be high.