Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tomorrow is the big announcement, countdown ends for Diablo3.com

ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

So, what do YOU think the big announcement is?

diablo3.com/

Quote:

"I would like to take this time to remind everyone that Diablo3.com has its very own IRC channel on the irc.gamesurge.net network. The channel is #diablo3 . It would be a good idea to drop by and learn how to get to the channel in case the web site ever goes down... like... if... 200 gaming web sites suddenly linked to diablo3.com and 200 thousand visitors made our servers crash."

» Countdown

The number of days

until half of the web

links to Diablo3.com.

But why???

-=*1*=-

Comments

• ItzcoliuhquiItzcoliuhqui Member Posts: 94

Don't really care.

The Anti Social Gamer

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

Frankly, I think it has something to do with SC, but if it an extension of the Diablo IP then that's awesome, I'll definitely be one of the 200k visitors smashing that domain.

I read on that site however that they thought it probably wouldn't have anything to do with Diablo III, and they assume it's another novel or merchandise announcement.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Diablo 3 is done, and is called  Mythos and Hellgate London. But seems a niche market.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Teiman

Diablo 3 is done, and is called  Mythos and Hellgate London. But seems a niche market.

Hellgate: London barely qualifies as a game and Mythos, while close, gets no cigar.

And don't give me the "They created Diablo" crap, because they didn't. They were Blizzards' rejects who some of them happened to work on Diablo/Diablo 2. And Bill Roper is nothing more than a talker/bullshitter, same as Brad McQuaid. Hellgate flopped in greatest part due to Roper trying to tell everyone HG:L was an mmo, so he could "grab some of that market", when it is in fact barely even multiplayer.

Mythos on the other hand is a decent little hack n' slash which is due to the fact the guy who made FATE is in charge of development, not Roper. It is not, however, anywhere near Diablo/Diablo2 status, much less Diablo 3. Maybe someday down the road, but I doubt it.

Anyway, to the rest of the posters, i don't really expect it to be much either. But with all the people supposedly wanting Diablo 3 or a Diablo MMO, I figured what the hell ( just to be on the safe side ).

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Would be quite... hilarious, if the reason why everyone would link to it would be an announcement for something that has as much to do with Diablo as this post has with my friends hairstyle; sadly now this post has something to do with it...

• BoriliusBorilius Member UncommonPosts: 11

Originally posted by Zorvan

Hellgate: London barely qualifies as a game and Mythos, while close, gets no cigar.
    And don't give me the "They created Diablo" crap, because they didn't. They were Blizzards' rejects who some of them happened to work on Diablo/Diablo 2. And Bill Roper is nothing more than a talker/bullshitter, same as Brad McQuaid. Hellgate flopped in greatest part due to Roper trying to tell everyone HG:L was an mmo, so he could "grab some of that market", when it is in fact barely even multiplayer.
    Mythos on the other hand is a decent little hack n' slash which is due to the fact the guy who made FATE is in charge of development, not Roper. It is not, however, anywhere near Diablo/Diablo2 status, much less Diablo 3. Maybe someday down the road, but I doubt it.

Anyway, to the rest of the posters, i don't really expect it to be much either. But with all the people supposedly wanting Diablo 3 or a Diablo MMO, I figured what the hell ( just to be on the safe side ).

Well said, i had some really bad experience with Hellgate:London, i can't believe there still subscribers for this "game". Mythos is ok, but getting dull pretty fast. Let's hope for some big news tomorrow.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Actually this statement is completely false.  If you knew anything about Diablo you would know that.

It was established in 1993 under the name Condor, founded by Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, and David Brevik. The company was purchased and renamed by Blizzard about six months before the release of their hit PC game, Diablo, in 1996. Diablo proved to be incredibly successful, and the still-more successful sequel Diablo II was released in 2000. An expansion pack followed the year after.

By June of 2003 two new games were in production. However on June 30, 2003, several key employees left Blizzard North to form the new companies Flagship Studios (8 moved here) and Castaway Entertainment (9 moved here). The Blizzard North exodus continued on with around 30 employees leaving the company in total.

Blizzard North worked independantly their entire existence.  That is why there have been no more Diablo games.  Because the team that created Diablo wasn't Blizzard.  They were all Condor employees who worked as a seperate development studio after being purchased by Blizzard. 

Flagship Studios is a computer game company founded by Bill Roper along with Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, and David Brevik, the original developers of Diablo and former high level Blizzard North executives. The core of Flagship Studios has been collaborating as a team since 1993 when they founded Condor Studios (later bought out and renamed Blizzard North) and in addition to the Diablo franchise were key high level executives in the development of Warcraft, Starcraft, and World of Warcraft.

As we can see here the same founders of Condor and creators of the Diablo Series (Max Schaefer, Eric Schaefer, and David Brevik) are also founders of flagship studios.  So Flagship studios are as close as you are going to get to new Diablo Games. 

Anyone who has played Mythos and actually doesn't feel like they are playing Diablo must be either deluded or lieing.  The game feels so much like Diablo it isn't even funny.  And the fact that Blizzard hasn't tried to sue over the apparent similiarities makes me believe that Blizzard has no intentions of ever touching the Diablo series again. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Wel.. I don't know.

Is true that Mythos feel tiny (but that could be a good thing for a F2P game) , and that  HG:L feel buggy.  But still the public seems more interested in other stuff.  Or maybe do people need some "gore" and "satan" related lore to be interested in a diablo game?

Originally posted by Cabe2323

Actually this statement is completely false.  If you knew anything about Diablo you would know that.

It was established in 1993 under the name Condor, founded by Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, and David Brevik. The company was purchased and renamed by Blizzard about six months before the release of their hit PC game, Diablo, in 1996. Diablo proved to be incredibly successful, and the still-more successful sequel Diablo II was released in 2000. An expansion pack followed the year after.

By June of 2003 two new games were in production. However on June 30, 2003, several key employees left Blizzard North to form the new companies Flagship Studios (8 moved here) and Castaway Entertainment (9 moved here). The Blizzard North exodus continued on with around 30 employees leaving the company in total.

Blizzard North worked independantly their entire existence.  That is why there have been no more Diablo games.  Because the team that created Diablo wasn't Blizzard.  They were all Condor employees who worked as a seperate development studio after being purchased by Blizzard. 

Flagship Studios is a computer game company founded by Bill Roper along with Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, and David Brevik, the original developers of Diablo and former high level Blizzard North executives. The core of Flagship Studios has been collaborating as a team since 1993 when they founded Condor Studios (later bought out and renamed Blizzard North) and in addition to the Diablo franchise were key high level executives in the development of Warcraft, Starcraft, and World of Warcraft.

As we can see here the same founders of Condor and creators of the Diablo Series (Max Schaefer, Eric Schaefer, and David Brevik) are also founders of flagship studios.  So Flagship studios are as close as you are going to get to new Diablo Games. 

Anyone who has played Mythos and actually doesn't feel like they are playing Diablo must be either deluded or lieing.  The game feels so much like Diablo it isn't even funny.  And the fact that Blizzard hasn't tried to sue over the apparent similiarities makes me believe that Blizzard has no intentions of ever touching the Diablo series again. 

No, my statement was not false. Blizzard North, or Blizzard. Same thing. Owned by Blizzard ( which is owned by Vivendi, yada yada yada ). And out of the 30 employees you listed there, only the 8 that went to Flagship were responsible for Diablo/Diablo2? Like I said, some people from Blizzard ( North ) went to Flagship and made Hellgate: London. This does not mean that they were the ones who made Diablo a success, as it could have been the other 9 guys who were the real creative backbone. And HG:L is anything BUT creative OR successful.

Far as Mythos, no it is not Diablo. It COULD be a good Diablo clone, but still has a way to go. The atmosphere and feel ( I don't know how to better describe it ) of Diablo/Diablo2 is not there.

No, my statement was not false. Blizzard North, or Blizzard. Same thing. Owned by Blizzard ( which is owned by Vivendi, yada yada yada ). And out of the 30 employees you listed there, only the 8 that went to Flagship were responsible for Diablo/Diablo2? Like I said, some people from Blizzard ( North ) went to Flagship and made Hellgate: London. This does not mean that they were the ones who made Diablo a success, as it could have been the other 9 guys who were the real creative backbone. And HG:L is anything BUT creative OR successful.

Far as Mythos, no it is not Diablo. It COULD be a good Diablo clone, but still has a way to go. The atmosphere and feel ( I don't know how to better describe it ) of Diablo/Diablo2 is not there.

Once again you are missing the point.  Max Schaefer, Eric Shaefer, and david Brevik are the CREATORS of the Diablo series.  End of Story.  Yes there were lots of other people working on the game but they were the creators.  Just like if we were talking about Ultima, the conversation would revolve around Richard Garriot.  Just like if we are talking about Bioware games then we talk about Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk.  The founders of these companies are also the driving force behind the creative efforts of the companies. 

Just because you do not like Flagship Studios and their game Hellgate, does not lesson the level of impact they had on the Diablo series.  Without those three men there would of never been a Diablo series. 

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606

This is a hype test on diablo3.com  They seem to be doing well.

• SeggallionSeggallion Member UncommonPosts: 684

I'd like to see another Diablo, if it's a MMO.. even better.

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Once again you are missing the point.  Max Schaefer, Eric Shaefer, and david Brevik are the CREATORS of the Diablo series.  End of Story.  Yes there were lots of other people working on the game but they were the creators.  Just like if we were talking about Ultima, the conversation would revolve around Richard Garriot.  Just like if we are talking about Bioware games then we talk about Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk.  The founders of these companies are also the driving force behind the creative efforts of the companies. 

Just because you do not like Flagship Studios and their game Hellgate, does not lesson the level of impact they had on the Diablo series.  Without those three men there would of never been a Diablo series. 

So why does hellgate just suck?  Talk about has-beens.  There's a diablo itch yet to be scratched and someone needs to take up the challenge.

What's undeniable is the claim that half the web will link to diablo3.com and the owner's contingency plan in case the site goes down.  They've said it is NOT diablo 3.  So maybe diablo mmo, starcraft demo, diablo movie, diablo candy cigarettes?  Seems like anything this big would also by hyped at blizzard though and there's really no upcoming event or countdown there. 

Originally posted by greymann

What's undeniable is the claim that half the web will link to diablo3.com and the owner's contingency plan in case the site goes down.  They've said it is NOT diablo 3.  So maybe diablo mmo, starcraft demo, diablo movie, diablo candy cigarettes?  Seems like anything this big would also by hyped at blizzard though and there's really no upcoming event or countdown there. 
    Unless it is a Diablo announcement that isn't being done by Blizzard?  Maybe Flagship bought the rights to the name back.  (Since they created it in the first place) 

It most likely is nothing big though.  I bet the hype is a lot more then the actual announcement will warrant. 

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

Unless it is a Diablo announcement that isn't being done by Blizzard?  Maybe Flagship bought the rights to the name back.  (Since they created it in the first place) 

It most likely is nothing big though.  I bet the hype is a lot more then the actual announcement will warrant. 

That's something we both agree on, at least.

Yeah I remember now a recent interview where blizz guy said they would not announce any diablo game for a long time.

Also they're starting to backpeddle at the fansite:

By: Medievaldragon

http://blizzplanet.com/news/2328/

We are making as many preparations as possible so everyone is able to find out what happens on May 1. If you miss any of those backup-means to inform you, don't worry ... half-the-gaming sites on the web will most likely be announcing it too in your favorite language. =)

Guess it could still be somewhat big tho.

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

A couple of things dont make sense... blizzplanet posted that it wasnt announcment for D3. If it isnt, why all the fuss? Also, diablo3.com wasnt owned by blizzard, was owned by fans.

Senhores da Guerra

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

I heard it was a Diablo Book and nothing more.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by tillamook

I don't think half the gaming sites will link to a book announcement.  If this is the case then the site lied and no fan will ever take them seriously again.

• The thought of Blizzard making Diablo 3 scares me given their insistance on bind on pickup and raids in wow.  Much of the allure of Diablo was trading phat lootz, as well as the smaller group sizes or solo play.  I loved nothing more then soloing the main bosses in an 8-player game, and Blizzard's love of raids would completely take away that playstyle.

On the flip side, at least we know the game will be polished and well done when it releases, assuming they are actually thinking of working on a diablo 3.

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606

If you take 2 seconds to read the webpage it states:

"Things the May 1 Announcement are not:

1. It is not an official announcement of Diablo 3

2. It is not about an upcoming Diablo novel

3. It is not a Network merge

Only Blizzard Entertainment may make an official announcement of games, unless we had a leak. However, we have no leaks. We know as much as you do whether or not there will or not be an announcement at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitationals. We do have our own set of theories such as the Blizzard Worldwide Invitationals ending the same day Diablo II was released (June 29 2000) and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction expansion being released (June 29, 2001). We will all have to wait and see what happens."

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by XImpalerX

If you take 2 seconds to read the webpage it states:

"Things the May 1 Announcement are not:

1. It is not an official announcement of Diablo 3

2. It is not about an upcoming Diablo novel

3. It is not a Network merge

Only Blizzard Entertainment may make an official announcement of games, unless we had a leak. However, we have no leaks. We know as much as you do whether or not there will or not be an announcement at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitationals. We do have our own set of theories such as the Blizzard Worldwide Invitationals ending the same day Diablo II was released (June 29 2000) and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction expansion being released (June 29, 2001). We will all have to wait and see what happens."

hehehe the nub! :P

Originally posted by zaxxon23

The thought of Blizzard making Diablo 3 scares me given their insistance on bind on pickup and raids in wow.  Much of the allure of Diablo was trading phat lootz, as well as the smaller group sizes or solo play.  I loved nothing more then soloing the main bosses in an 8-player game, and Blizzard's love of raids would completely take away that playstyle.
    On the flip side, at least we know the game will be polished and well done when it releases, assuming they are actually thinking of working on a diablo 3.
    If a new diablo in any form was announced I would...

1. Spontaneously splooge in my seat

2. Run around the house air humping

3. Run out of the house screaming and effing nearby farm animals

4. Collapse into a coma till release day

• MehjrianMehjrian Member Posts: 127

Originally posted by zaxxon23

The thought of Blizzard making Diablo 3 scares me given their insistance on bind on pickup and raids in wow.  Much of the allure of Diablo was trading phat lootz, as well as the smaller group sizes or solo play.  I loved nothing more then soloing the main bosses in an 8-player game, and Blizzard's love of raids would completely take away that playstyle.
    If a new diablo in any form was announced I would...

1. Spontaneously splooge in my seat

2. Run around the house air humping

3. Run out of the house screaming and effing nearby farm animals

4. Collapse into a coma till release day

I'd say you summed it up very nicely. Especially #2. So much air humping.