Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RockStar Need To Make A GTA MMO!

It would be awesome, playing a MMO in Liberty City. Not sure exactly how it would work at this point, but you could have gangs instead of guilds, but you could also play cops, fbi, shop owners, taxi drivers etc. You would be able to own shops, nightclubs etc. It would be awesome. Infact i wouldn't be surprised if this is what's already been planned for GTA V. The technology is available now, and with the amount of GTA players in the world, it would even have more subscribers than WOW. Imagine the monthly income generated!

Comments

  • GTA4 basically is. No not talking about the multi player i'm talking the

    Go here, drive here, Kill X, Drive back. Rinse repeat. hows that for questing (missions)

  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,905

    Originally posted by MARTYB2K


    It would be awesome, playing a MMO in Liberty City. Not sure exactly how it would work at this point, but you could have gangs instead of guilds, but you could also play cops, fbi, shop owners, taxi drivers etc. You would be able to own shops, nightclubs etc. It would be awesome. Infact i wouldn't be surprised if this is what's already been planned for GTA V. The technology is available now, and with the amount of GTA players in the world, it would even have more subscribers than WOW. Imagine the monthly income generated!
    Maybe GTA5 will be, they seem to like th idea of going in that direction.

    In the meantime, I guess all you wannabe gangstas have APB :)

  • ViennanViennan Member Posts: 27


    Originally posted by MARTYB2K
    and with the amount of GTA players in the world, it would even have more subscribers than WOW. Imagine the monthly income generated!

    Let me explain: a lot of people buy GTA. The game has one-off fee of about $50 and then it is yours. That is why people buy it. The violence-obsessed kids who play GTA will most probably not pay $15 a month to play a GTA MMO.

    The figures for games like GTA look like they are better than the likes of WoW, but think about it. GTA Vice City sold 17 million copies. That's 7 million more than WoW has players. But who do you think is the more successful company? The company who got one off payments of $50 from 17 million people, or the company who every month gets $15 off 10 million?

    Rockstar got $850,000,000 all up from GTA VC
    in one month Blizzard get $150,000,000.
    So in five months, Blizzard have made more than Rockstar - without going through the hassle of releasing a new game.

  • CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

    Yeah, but the overhead to keep WoW running is most likely enormous.  Plus the fact that RockStar not only doesn't need any overhead to keep their game running but they also don't need to keep additional devs employed full time working on their previous releases.

    As far as "bang for their investment buck" goes one dollar invested in GTA VC probably yielded a much higher profit than a dollar invested in WoW.

    image

  • demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

    Isn't there already an MMO like that coming out?  I could be wrong, but I thought it was just announced not too long ago.  Basically, everyone goes around in a big city and there are gangs and stuff.

    ______________________
    Give a man some fun and you entertain him for a day. Teach a man to make fun and you entertain him for a lifetime.

  • SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

    An MMO is  a different beast than a stand alone game.

    Just because Blizz made it look easy, it doesn't mean it is.

    Still, RockStar has a nice little franchise that keeps them in hookers and booze without the change in concept that putting together an MMO would entail.

    CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

    Once a denizen of Ahazi

  • MARTYB2KMARTYB2K Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Viennan


     

    Originally posted by MARTYB2K

    and with the amount of GTA players in the world, it would even have more subscribers than WOW. Imagine the monthly income generated!

     

    Let me explain: a lot of people buy GTA. The game has one-off fee of about $50 and then it is yours. That is why people buy it. The violence-obsessed kids who play GTA will most probably not pay $15 a month to play a GTA MMO.

    The figures for games like GTA look like they are better than the likes of WoW, but think about it. GTA Vice City sold 17 million copies. That's 7 million more than WoW has players. But who do you think is the more successful company? The company who got one off payments of $50 from 17 million people, or the company who every month gets $15 off 10 million?

    Rockstar got $850,000,000 all up from GTA VC

    in one month Blizzard get $150,000,000.

    So in five months, Blizzard have made more than Rockstar - without going through the hassle of releasing a new game.



    Exactly Viennan. You know this, i know this, and that's why i think its almost certain that Rockstar will make a GTA MMO. BTW GTA:VC sold 21 million copies, i could see GTA IV eventually selling 25 million+. It's gonna come out on PC too. Don't forget that.

  • Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

    They should wait to see how AoC goes down first, seeing as it's the first real popular Mature rated MMO that I know of. Then making a GTA mmo would be cool. But would take a real company with enough MMO experienced devs, since balancing, making the world seamless, and all these other issues are not a walk in the park. Especially with the picky people that we are!

    --------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

    Order of the White Border.

  • NeeAnderTallNeeAnderTall Member Posts: 79

    I support a GTA MMO! I find Rockstar's lack of vision disturbing.

    So what if an MMO is a different animal to feed than a game they release once? We live in a techno-business savvy world now that can overcome any obstacle to making money so long as the right people are put in charge and they have enough money to speak with.

    If Rockstar could only see how far they could take their basic game to the next level and see how many jobs it would create, they'd find themselves sitting on a virtual WOW Killer.

    For the Ambiance of the game there are the radio stations to listen too. Artists, real and fictional (Rockstar owned) could continue to create more talk shows, music, joke news bits, or even offer internet radio stations to listen too while you are driving. This alone could drive sponsorship money for ingame advertisements via billboards, those flyers on the ground, and introduce the wheeled billboards you see roaming around cities like Las Vegas. Make them crashable and you can have some fans demonstrate their brand appreciation. To make it all run smoothly there are new positions for developers and the network support staff in charge of making sure their server racks don't begin to smoke.

    Talk is cheap.

    While I wait for APB...I ask, does GTA MMO really need a 2nd faction like law enforcement?  I think GTA doesn't need a law enforcement faction of players, since everyone else will be trying to be a "Player" in their own gang, mob, or solo operation. Building your street cred reputation is going to be tough enough in a city with a huge multiplayer experience. It will be like participating in the LA Riots.

    image

  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,905

    Originally posted by NeeAnderTall


    I support a GTA MMO! I find Rockstar's lack of vision disturbing.
    So what if an MMO is a different animal to feed than a game they release once? We live in a techno-business savvy world now that can overcome any obstacle to making money so long as the right people are put in charge and they have enough money to speak with.
    If Rockstar could only see how far they could take their basic game to the next level and see how many jobs it would create, they'd find themselves sitting on a virtual WOW Killer.
    For the Ambiance of the game there are the radio stations to listen too. Artists, real and fictional (Rockstar owned) could continue to create more talk shows, music, joke news bits, or even offer internet radio stations to listen too while you are driving. This alone could drive sponsorship money for ingame advertisements via billboards, those flyers on the ground, and introduce the wheeled billboards you see roaming around cities like Las Vegas. Make them crashable and you can have some fans demonstrate their brand appreciation. To make it all run smoothly there are new positions for developers and the network support staff in charge of making sure their server racks don't begin to smoke.
    Talk is cheap.
    While I wait for APB...I ask, does GTA MMO really need a 2nd faction like law enforcement?  I think GTA doesn't need a law enforcement faction of players, since everyone else will be trying to be a "Player" in their own gang, mob, or solo operation. Building your street cred reputation is going to be tough enough in a city with a huge multiplayer experience. It will be like participating in the LA Riots.

    Only really replying to say thanks for the picture of the Eagle... I had forgotten about Space 1999 :)

  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,393

    Isn't that game APB like an MMO version of GTA?

    In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

  • DarkrangerxxDarkrangerxx Member Posts: 31

    What people who support the gta mmo want is basically grand theft auto, with more quests and a large online playing.

    Impossible really =/ They would have remove a lot of the GTA freedom, if they wanted to make it an mmo, due to lag, players doing crazy things etc.

    Cars would be a hard thing, cause you could be running down the street, doing a quest, and a car flew out of nowhere and kills you.

    Rockstar if they wanted to make an mmo, should see how APB goes, and improve on its flaws

  • CeredwynnCeredwynn Member Posts: 124

    yeah like everyone said before GTA as a whole basically harbors the elements of a MMO. all that would need to be added is a leveling system, the internet for the mmo and instances maybe. it would be something for the ESRB to rant about yet again...

    ____________________________________________________________________
    imageimageimageimage

  • vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860


    Originally posted by Ascension08
    They should wait to see how AoC goes down first, seeing as it's the first real popular Mature rated MMO that I know of. Then making a GTA mmo would be cool. But would take a real company with enough MMO experienced devs, since balancing, making the world seamless, and all these other issues are not a walk in the park. Especially with the picky people that we are! image


    They can bring in some experienced programmers but please not one single designer from EQ or WoW because I dont want GTA to get dumbed down into a theme park with RAIDS and all that other B/S

    much rather GTA stay fun and not grind the living stank outta me.

    I say no to MMORPG, and yes to MMO!!!!! No grinding levels plz

  • vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860


    Originally posted by Roin
    Isn't that game APB like an MMO version of GTA?

    Yep and its a dev from GTA/Crackdown so I am pretty happy bout that in any case.

  • GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

    Hmmm..what would I want from a GTA MMO?  Well, I think the system they have already supports most of it...they would only really need to add a small number of things.

     

    1:  Mob/Mafia creation.  Similar to guilds...but the ideal is to control turf and locations.  Money can come either legall (through businesses located in controlled turf such as Clothing stores or Stip clubs...ect.) or ILLEGALLY through drug push and theft rings.

     

    2:  Solid random NPC interaction.  Can't have the GTA feel without the drug rings and such.  For that to work, you don't want players to be the peons on the bottom.  That means that the NPC's roaming around have to be capable of buying from your group or to support those guilds whom would stand against them.  The NPC's would also have to be able to patronize the businesses...to buy things and DO things.  In short, the NPC's need to interact with the players in a more fluid manner than the current MMO's do.

     

    3:  Hella optimization.  If having a host of players speeding through the streets causes massive lag...ain't gonna work.  Gotta have fast cars, and great connections.  That might mean the pretty has to be toned down, or at least controlled.  One way I've enjoyed for this is already USED by GTA games.  Blur.  Objects in the distance (even remotely close distance) aren't rendered completely.  It saves on data transfer...and helps keep things running smooth.  Regardless, the game has to run SMOOTH.  Any hitches are going to take away from the 'fast life' element of the series that makes it tick.

     

    4:  An active and 'hunting' NPC law enforcement.  Similar to the games, if you fight back and stay hated...they bring out the big guns.  Having a tank roll through and remove your guilds control of the turf (and thus, leave it open to other organizations to take over) aught to be reason enough for players to be a LITTLE more self controlled.  Not much, but enough to keep it from being overly...spammed...with hell.

     

    5:  NO &$%#ING LEVELS.  No grinding, no none of that.  Levels have no place here...and neither does experience really.  I suppose that, to some degree, skills and skill sets could be implemented.  I would want it to play mostly second fiddle...and do little more than make you remotely better at things.  I would like for new players to be JUST as competitive as old players.  A guy with a gun is a guy with a gun, experience be damned.  In the GTA universe...even the pedestrian toting a pistol could drop you, and I want that here too.

     

    6:  Did I mention no levels?

     

    7:  No really, did I mention that?

     

    8:  How about no grinds?

     

      IN short, the whole game should mimic the fast life feel of the old games.  Players aren't playing to 'progress'...they are playing to take part in the active and violent world.

    image

  • vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

    just got done playing gTA 4 multiplayer this was most fun ive had in a long while I'm not sure if I want a GTA MMO at all now this is awesome

  • Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by vajuras


     

    Originally posted by Roin

    Isn't that game APB like an MMO version of GTA?

     

    Yep and its a dev from GTA/Crackdown so I am pretty happy bout that in any case.

    APB looks amazing and is gonna kill GTA.......   The char customization is the best I've ever seen anywhere for any type of game!

    image
    Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

Sign In or Register to comment.