Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA pulls the plug out of The Sims Online

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I'm sure players will be very dissapointed...both of them.

It is with mixed emotions that today we are announcing the EA-Land experiment will soon draw to a close. Since 2002, EA-Land / TSO has attracted a very special group of players (of which you are one) and we certainly appreciate your participation in the EA-Land community. The lifetime of the game has drawn to an end, and now we will be focusing on new ideas and other innovative concepts in the games arena. We’d like to thank everyone who has taken part in this online community as a unique experience in the virtual world.

Below are some facts about how the site and service will be closed. Please see also a special message from the team that maintained EA-Land, to the community that played it.

Key Facts:

• On August 1, 2008, the game EA-Land / TSO will no longer be in service and EA will focus these resources on future games
  • Your subscription billing will end now, so that at least 60 days of your EA-Land experience will be at no cost to you
  • You may cancel your account and subscription at any time by contacting customer service or by managing your EA account online. To do this, you must log on to EA-Land / TSO to cancel within the game
  • Starting immediately PayPal cash-in will not be available anymore
  • EA Customer Support at support.ea.com is available to help answer any questions you might have regarding your account

If you are a paying subscriber as of April 29th 2008, EA would like to offer you one of the following two gifts as a token of our appreciation:

• Three months of Club POGO(tm) Subscription Time

Paying subscribers please insure your email contact information is up to date as details of this offer will be sent out to you within 30 days.

Again, thanks you to all of you.

Electronic Arts

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Hmm I tried EA land, didn't like it much though.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

hmm so far, all mmos released by EA have been shut down.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Yes!

Another strike against the Evil Agency.

And a great day it will be when it finally falls onto its own sword.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• leowyattleowyatt Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by Gameloading

I'm sure players will be very dissapointed...both of them.

This made me LOL irl, but seriously this is LOOOONG overdue.  This game was fail from the start.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Dracus

Yes!

The only problem is now Bioware faces impalement from that same sword.

• uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225
    Originally posted by CleffyII

UO is still alive...For now.....

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Yes!

I call vaporware already, "We have a great game, I've played it, but we still can't tell you what it is" give me a break! I lost interest in BioWare's game months ago. At least till they tell us WTH they're working on, if that ever happens. I'm really sick of hearing about it TBH.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by Zorvan

Yes!

I call vaporware already, "We have a great game, I've played it, but we still can't tell you what it is" give me a break! I lost interest in BioWare's game months ago. At least till they tell us WTH they're working on, if that ever happens. I'm really sick of hearing about it TBH.

They really became a joke

, just like the other game "Dragon age" ... was in development for 8 years now , and they released 4 screenshots - each one done in completely different game engine.

• Typical EA.  They just don't understand that a game can have a lifespan of longer than one or two years.  Too much console development IMO...

Not that I play the sims...I'm just relating my experience from the battlefield series.  I'm not at all surprised their short sighted view impacts longer term games as well...

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

didnt they piss away like a zillion dollars on this title to develop it?

I wonder if they think pulling the plug on UO2 and UO:X was such a bright idea now?

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Originally posted by Rekindle

didnt they piss away like a zillion dollars on this title to develop it?
    I wonder if they think pulling the plug on UO2 and UO:X was such a bright idea now?

Considering they are one of the largest game publishing companies in the world, I think they are doing just fine. 

Honestly the way they are shutting the game down is done in a very classy manner.  60 free days of game time and 15 dollars off another EA game.  In my opinion you can't get much classier then that. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by uoplayer123

note: "released" not "upkept". EA never released UO, it was released by Origin, EA acquired game and company years laters.

It is indeed true that this sign the last EA published game to hit the dust, however, with WAR getting out in autumn 2008, hopefully such a trend will be ended.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by Volkmar

Originally posted by uoplayer123

note: "released" not "upkept". EA never released UO, it was released by Origin, EA acquired game and company years laters.

It is indeed true that this sign the last EA published game to hit the dust, however, with WAR getting out in autumn 2008, hopefully such a trend will be ended.

The company was founded in 1983 by brothers Robert and Richard Garriott, their father Owen and Chuck Bueche after Richard had terminated his contract with Sierra On-Line to publish the third part in Richard's Ultima series, Ultima III: Exodus.

In September 1992, Electronic Arts acquired the company.

In 1997, they released one of the earliest and most successful graphical MMORPGs, Ultima Online.

Don't people even research comments before making them?  EA purchased Origin 5 full years before Ultima Online was released.  So yes UO is and has always been an EA product. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

It's always sad to see a game die.

I personally feel that the game had potential for great things, but the way they implemented it wasn't good at all. I don't usually go for the cash-shop subscription model, but it could have worked very well in TSO. Allowing free download and access to the game, as well as basic items, but requiring you to pay for items with real money unless you're willing to "work" for your Simoleans would have been a far better approach imho.

• KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244

The point is that EA doesn't want a long term commitment on anything, they'd rather sell you another Madden POS that they can get their money out of you and move on. This is just another example of their short sightedness, no I don't play this game but I have played other MMO's that EA has bought out just to close down.

EA may be a huge company making a profit for their shareholders but their products at least for the target audience I belong to are pure crap. God help any gaming company that doesn't have a strong position to fend EA off when it turns its one sinister eye on them and sees a buck to be made by breaking it up and selling it off.

RIP Westwood Studios.

• CatizoneCatizone Member Posts: 233

What the hell is EA land?

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

I didn't know it was still around!

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by Catizone

What the hell is EA land?

Formerly known as "The Sims Online"

Originally posted by Cabe2323 

Considering they are one of the largest game publishing companies in the world, I think they are doing just fine. 
    For now, but in due time...  I'll wage 5 years (though likely 7) that EA will be blindsided and deconstructed.  It is in the twilight period of making massive buyouts and spending too much on special projects; sticking to its traditional ways.

Alas, poor Bioware! I knew him, Horatio.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

That looks almost verbatim to what was posted when EA announced they were closing Earth and Beyond. EA may have the market on sports games but they stink at MMO's.

Who's next? My guess is Biowares title.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

This is the one gaming niche that EA just cannot break into

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

Frikkin ea-games, flushes another mmo, whats up with these guys, maybe they will bring back an improved earth and beyond, remeber that one they shut down too?

playing eq2 and two worlds

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

No suprise EA is known to can their mmorpg with ease.

Originally posted by Czzarre

This is the one gaming niche that EA just cannot break into
    I concur with that being a true statement.  I think it is that MMO's do not fit in with EA's business strategy.  EA seeks short term gains, and frowns upon long term goals (though sometimes there are exceptions).  MMO's are long term projects, taking 3 to 7 years of development and to be operated for a minimum of 5 years; so average about 10 years for development and going live.

Such a time frame is out side of the business scope of EA.

They'll loose out on the PC market, go full throttle into Console Games and then two things will happen:

- Independent developers will no longer be going to big publishers, as digital distribution will be the norm.

- The Console market will crash, as it did before.

And that is why...

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

There's something retarded about all this.

Why do people make comments when they have ZERO idea of what they are talking about?

make a google search on EA MMO and then come back to comment. They did a few mistakes but SIMS online is not lol...