Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO (Star Trek Online) Finally Removed

KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

I see that the STO MMO (Star Trek Online) by the now defunct developer Perpetual Entertinment has finally been removed from the MMORPG.com "Games In Development" list, and its about time.

This MMO can be listed again, if and when a new studio claims that it is working on the project.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
Bladezz (The Guild)

Comments

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

Whoohoo, Earthrise slides into the vacant slot

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Well, with news like that, we can all go home early.

• ViennanViennan Member Posts: 27

Disappointed ... A Star Trek MMO could've been good. I wouldn't have played it, but I bet a lot of people would have.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
  • CeredwynnCeredwynn Member Posts: 124

just like SWG i dont think the technology is there for a proper polished Star Trek or Star Wars MMO.

maybe in the 2010 decade, but right now. i can only farsee an epic fail.

• ProtestProtest Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Ceredwynn

maybe in the 2010 decade, but right now. i can only farsee an epic fail.

Ironically, the word you are looking for is foresee, not farsee.

“We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.”
    -T.S. Eliot

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

They take off STO but leave Darkfall on?  Strange. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hopefully STO.net goes too, if it hasn't already.

Bad developers should go out of business.

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

Originally posted by Viennan
    A Star Trek MMO could've been good.
    Not really. As a fan of Star Trek and an MMO explorer, I think that at this point the two are incompatible unless a really, really good company were to handle the project. Even then, there's little chance of financial success for an MMO that truly lives up to the nature of Star Trek. Therefore, I'm glad to see each step in STO's demise. Perpetual was not the right company and it's probably not the right time.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Took awhile...

I can see a Star Trek MMO performing very well, but in order to do so, it must be made for a targeted market and not for the mass market.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• leowyattleowyatt Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by Stellos

They take off STO but leave Darkfall on?  Strange. 

hehe, win

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Keogh

I see that the STO MMO (Star Trek Online) by the now defunct developer Perpetual Entertinment has finally been removed from the MMORPG.com "Games In Development" list, and its about time.
    This MMO can be listed again, if and when a new studio claims that it is working on the project.

Not really, It's just been removed from the most active forums list down the left side of the page. It is still listed in the less active forum list in the drop down box at the top of the forum. Sorry to disappoint  you Keogh.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Not really, It's just been removed from the most active forums list down the left side of the page. It is still listed in the less active forum list in the drop down box at the top of the forum. Sorry to disappoint  you Keogh.

Bren

If you mean the "Show Quick Gamelist" tab, take another look. It's gone.

it's also gone from the full "Game List".

• razerblade29razerblade29 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Yeah cause it really matters taht they take the game off the list, pointless topic

Originally posted by Zorvan

Bren

No, at the top of every forum on this site there is a drop down list box with the title "Dare to be Different, Choose a Less active Forum". This is where they stick all the game forums that have low post counts over time. STO is still listed in there as it has gone very inactive since PE went belly up and the new Dev house isn't talking. It's still here though, just less visible.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Zorvan

Bren

No, at the top of every forum on this site there is a drop down list box with the title "Dare to be Different, Choose a Less active Forum". This is where they stick all the game forums that have low post counts over time. STO is still listed in there as it has gone very inactive since PE went belly up and the new Dev house isn't talking. It's still here though, just less visible.

Bren

Oh, well yeah they said they'd keep the forums around. Hell, you can even find the Mourning forums still if you know where to look. The main thing is they took the game listing, and everything that goes with it. The only way to get to the forums is through the inactive, like you said, or someone already having a post in an old thread necroing it.. But at least people aren't seeing Perpetual and ST:O advertised in the gamelist with the hype meter, forum link, etc. as they are usually.

The game listings actually disappeared shortly after PE/P2 did. The only thing that has remained since then has been the forum and as much as it may pain Keogh, It's still here. lol

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }