Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW of COX?

ok well. i was gonna get either world of warcraft or city of villians somtimes next month. i currently own both, have an account on both but i havent played either for the last ccouple months but i was gonna start switching between the two each month...problem is im not sure what one to get first, so i decided to come here and get your guys/girls opinions. im probly gonna get the expansion packs/city of heros the first month i start up. OH! and on a....kind of related note does anyone know all what famous super heros/villains you can make on COX?

Playing
Nothing
waiting for
The secret world
Played
WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

Comments

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

and i made two typos i cant fix, for those who dont get them its the title...ment to say OR not OF. and in the polls i ment heros not hers.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• ViennanViennan Member Posts: 27

I have only played WoW and thus voted accordingly. You can't go wrong with it; if you get the right server, there are a lot of people, nice support, constant updates and a good deal of content. Downsides include the monotonous grind.

Haven't played CoH/V so I can't recommend for or against it.

Only problem is, I can't see you progressing very far in WoW if you play month on, month off =/

• LandishanLandishan Member Posts: 5

CoH/V is easily the better game. Fun to play in small doses. Great graphics and huge variety of characters you can build. Lots of exciting missions to do though they do wear thin after a while.

well the month on, month off thing was only untill i get old enough, and can find a job...ill be old enough to get one in june, problem is finding one so thats not much of a problem.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

Id say go for city of heroes, a bit more casual time friendly. Wow has raids and grinds that take to much time for the amount if time you are stating. Plus its fun making up chars and messing around with the costumes in Cox.

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

lol, there's a joke to be made at the title of thread, not gonna go there.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

WoW...because it is not as tedious a game.   The missions in CoH/V are just to mind numbingly repetitive.

• Tidwell32Tidwell32 Member UncommonPosts: 36

well... WoW sucks... horribly. and ive never played COH or COV. but yeah... WoW sucks

just wait 3 weeks for age of conan, play a few days of numerous free mmos

Originally posted by Tidwell32

well... WoW sucks... horribly. and ive never played COH or COV. but yeah... WoW sucks

Why does WoW suck?

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by azrael466

....kind of related note does anyone know all what famous super heros/villains you can make on COX?
    You can't, they are copyrighted.

IMHO, City of Heroes is the better game.

• Tidwell32Tidwell32 Member UncommonPosts: 36

why does wow suck huh? well i could go on for hours and hours but i will make it short.

a) its by far the easiest game ive ever played, which is a bad thing because everyone is at the same skill lvl

b) due to a) being considered "good" is solely dependent on items and level. a lvl 70 can take a 65 any day, no matter what. which therefore means the best player has the most worthless life.

c) it is the most repetitive game i have ever played as well. not only in quests but in the combat. first of all the quests are all the same, ie. run really far and kill 20 of these. and combat is identical from lvl 1-70. my routine from 1-60 was: right click-press 3-2-1-sit back and watch. tens of thousands of times doing this same thing is not what i call fun.

d) ill hit on the combat system again. the combat system is border line turn based, anymore it would be pokemon for gameboy color. wheres the action? the excitement? you can fight monsters reclined in a chair with 1 finger.

e) community. due to the simplicity and concept (cartoony fantasy) the fans it attracts are untolerable (try going to the barrens)

f) the biggest fault (or money scam) of all is that the game isnt even fun(ish) until lvl 60, or now 70 i guess. it requires weeks-months of boring repetitive gameplay to even begin the game.

thats just my opinion. ill admit, i was addicted to WoW for a few weeks, but my last few days of play time was spent leaping from bed to bed in the inn at gadgetzan (talking with friends of course) because i didnt want to leave and begin a really long quest for 2% exp.

this is why i am so excited for age of conan. it seems a developer has finally decided to focus  on the  non WoW/EQ crowd. a crowd that enjoys more mature, fast paced, exciting games.

this is why i am so excited for age of conan. it seems a developer has finally decided to focus  on the  non WoW/EQ crowd. a crowd that enjoys more mature, fast paced, exciting games.
    You are in for a wicked surprise....and not in a good way.

why does wow suck huh? well i could go on for hours and hours but i will make it short.
    a) its by far the easiest game ive ever played, which is a bad thing because everyone is at the same skill lvl
    b) due to a) being considered "good" is solely dependent on items and level. a lvl 70 can take a 65 any day, no matter what. which therefore means the best player has the most worthless life.
    c) it is the most repetitive game i have ever played as well. not only in quests but in the combat. first of all the quests are all the same, ie. run really far and kill 20 of these. and combat is identical from lvl 1-70. my routine from 1-60 was: right click-press 3-2-1-sit back and watch. tens of thousands of times doing this same thing is not what i call fun.
    d) ill hit on the combat system again. the combat system is border line turn based, anymore it would be pokemon for gameboy color. wheres the action? the excitement? you can fight monsters reclined in a chair with 1 finger.
    e) community. due to the simplicity and concept (cartoony fantasy) the fans it attracts are untolerable (try going to the barrens)
    f) the biggest fault (or money scam) of all is that the game isnt even fun(ish) until lvl 60, or now 70 i guess. it requires weeks-months of boring repetitive gameplay to even begin the game.
    thats just my opinion. ill admit, i was addicted to WoW for a few weeks, but my last few days of play time was spent leaping from bed to bed in the inn at gadgetzan (talking with friends of course) because i didnt want to leave and begin a really long quest for 2% exp.
    Oh well, to each his/her own I guess.   Enjoy whatever game you end up in.

BTW I play on Smolderthorn (PvP server) and I haven't had a bad experience yet.  Most of the people I come across on that server are really nice...even those on the Alliance side.   ::sighs::  I wish Vanguard were as polished as WoW is.

Originally posted by Torak

....kind of related note does anyone know all what famous super heros/villains you can make on COX?

are you sure...i remember acouple years ago...either right before or right after the release. cheat....might of been X-play, on G4 showed some heros thats looked very...very close if not exactly like the flash and spiderman. it may of been before and they removed the costumes. or i could be compleatly mistaken...because it was so long ago its hard to tell exactly, but id SWEAR i remember somthing like it for city of heros.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

• lexlocilexloci Member Posts: 46

are you sure...i remember acouple years ago...either right before or right after the release. cheat....might of been X-play, on G4 showed some heros thats looked very...very close if not exactly like the flash and spiderman. it may of been before and they removed the costumes. or i could be compleatly mistaken...because it was so long ago its hard to tell exactly, but id SWEAR i remember somthing like it for city of heros.

It's possible to make very similair heros, however doing so risks someone noticing and reporting it.

Pretty sure, if you recall, they got sued over it by Marvel a few years back...

Copyrights are copyrights, all named superheroes are copyright protected. They are IP's. Now you can try to make something that looks close to a copyrighted superhero...but sort of defeats the purpose of customizing your own guy, doesn't it?

You have one of the best character customization systems in MMOs in that game, I guess if you can't think of anything original you could just copy someone. Do what you want I guess...

Pretty sure, if you recall, they got sued over it by Marvel a few years back...

Copyrights are copyrights, all named superheroes are copyright protected. They are IP's. Now you can try to make something that looks close to a copyrighted superhero...but sort of defeats the purpose of customizing your own guy, doesn't it?

You have one of the best character customization systems in MMOs in that game, I guess if you can't think of anything original you could just copy someone. Do what you want I guess...

well...not that i cant think of anything original...but it seems anything that isent in the exact set of costumes looks, HORIBLE together...maybe i just havent tryed enough combonations but. ah well. i normaly just stick to a ninja lookin' stalker. i think it works best.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

*pointless argument* 

SWG Bloodfin vet

• ItzcoliuhquiItzcoliuhqui Member Posts: 94

Well, for some reason I just never enjoyed WoW.

Mind you... I wanted to enjoy it! My friends were playing it, I kinda enjoy the Warcraft lore so I got the stupid 7 or 14 day trial CD. I think I played for a grand total of 3 days.

On CoX I have very fond memories of my time there. The community imo is alot more friendly and polite. Overall I find the gameplay a bit more fun, but as other people have stated alot of the missions(especially the random generated ones) are quite repetitive. PvP in CoX isn't bad, there's alot of talk about classes not being balanced but... I usually enjoyed roving within a group of heroes and gang other groups of villains. I think what I enjoyed most was how the teaming seemed so organic... Every team works in CoX, just as long as people play smart... You don't necessarily need High DPS class + healer + tank.

I don't think either of them are good games, but I do find CoX way better. People tell me that WoW gets better once you reach the level cap but... CoX is fun once you pick it up and gets "funner" as you progress. CoX also catters to Alt-a-holics like myself.

*Votes CoX*

The Anti Social Gamer

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118

having played both games extensively i can tell you both are good and run well and are worth your money, but they are also very different from each others. Overall i enjoyed cox a lot but it faded faster, the game is fast fun and very good if you play casual, wow on the other hand is more deep and if you choose to go for the long run i would choose wow if you never tried it already.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Korean grinder < wow < all other western MMOs

Originally posted by Kilmar

Korean grinder < wow < all other western MMOs
    You are aware that CoX was made by Crypic Studios a U.S. company, right? NCSoft was the publisher not maker.

You do know that all those games in your sig parent publishing company is Sony an Asian company, right?  

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Oh i dont call CoX a grinder, Im sorry. I just mean, wow is just better than any grinder, but worse than any other MMO

Originally posted by Kilmar

Oh i dont call CoX a grinder, Im sorry. I just mean, wow is just better than any grinder, but worse than any other MMO

LoL, now I am really confused...I'm an idiot sorry if I misread that.

Originally posted by Teala

Why does WoW suck?

lol, I knew you would show up, anytime someone mentions WoW or CoX. XD  kidding.

SWG Bloodfin vet