Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me?

2»

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Mortemia

It's the lack of decent PvP that made me quit LOTRO pretty early. Even though if I'm not even a great fan on PvPing... How cool would it have been, if you bump into a orc player while questing on swamps. But nothing like that ever happened, only mindless npcs. Even if I were in the middle earth, I always felt "safe". And eventually that got boring really quick.

Well, then LoTRO is def. not for you. It's a PvE first and f oremost... with PvP as a side activity. You'll never see player-controlled orcs outside the Ettenmoors or PvP areas they add in the future.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

What is all this facination with having to feel in danger. Come on it is a game. Your not really there. How can you feel like your in danger or comletely safe in a game. I will admit the act of PvPing can get your heart racing but so can fighting a boss mob that takes alongtime to kill. It is a game there is no real danger or threat to you or anyone for that matter. Even in PvP there is no real threat or danger. When i PvP it is the same to me threat wise as PvE in any game.

I just don't get how a game can be threatening. Or put you in danger.

imageimage

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Originally posted by Grindalyx

What is all this facination with having to feel in danger. Come on it is a game. Your not really there. How can you feel like your in danger or comletely safe in a game. I will admit the act of PvPing can get your heart racing but so can fighting a boss mob that takes alongtime to kill. It is a game there is no real danger or threat to you or anyone for that matter. Even in PvP there is no real threat or danger. When i PvP it is the same to me threat wise as PvE in any game.
    Oh ok let me try to explain how I feel game can be threatening or dangerous. Yes it is a game, we all know that and it can't be dangerous in a way it affects your real life.

But in a game, where you feel you are in danger, you can't leave your character standing AFK for 10 minutes on a field and make it out unharmed. Yes, I know there might spawn something over you in LOTRO but that's not enough. We all know how spawns work and it's own dumbness if you die on those.

And obviously LOTRO wasn't a game for me, just because "safe" mood on it. And I'm all right with it. Other than that, I liked the game, the graphics and classes were very nice to play. It just got boring way too quick.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Originally posted by D3mis3

Originally posted by HashBrick

Or do other people find this game extremely dull too? Is there something I was doing wrong that made the game boring?

I played the trial for a few days and enjoyed the first few levels (like every other MMO). I gave it a chance and subscribed ($20 price-tag was one of the pull-factors). I played about another week and found myself becoming increasingly bored. I made it to about lvl25, and all I found I was doing were same repetetive fetch or kill x amount quests. I finally deciced I didn't want to spend the $15 a month (I had almost run out of 30day free time) and quit.

Well most MMOs can hold me for at least more then 2 months or so, but LotRO has to be the shortest run I've ever had. Was there anything I could have done better to maximize my fun?

From what I was doing, i could have more fun with a paperclip.

I never found it dull till I ran outta things to do at lvl cap which was about 6weeks. The game grabbed me and kept me interested into the story, even though its kill x, get y type quests if you read into lore, specially once you get in the instances it's quite enjoyable, also the Book Quests are by far the most enjoyable part of the game. If you mix those in with the regular grind quests you can make it fun and enjoyable all the way through.

Give a fair chance and try more of the Book Quests if you can before you give up on it. It may turn you around to keep going so you can finish the book and get the whole story behind it. That's how I got pulled in and I'm sure many others the same way.

If I wanted story, I'd watch a movie or read a book.

There's your problem. Glad we could help.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• Volgore2Volgore2 Member Posts: 40

Or do other people find this game extremely dull too? Is there something I was doing wrong that made the game boring?
    I played the trial for a few days and enjoyed the first few levels (like every other MMO). I gave it a chance and subscribed ($20 price-tag was one of the pull-factors). I played about another week and found myself becoming increasingly bored. I made it to about lvl25, and all I found I was doing were same repetetive fetch or kill x amount quests. I finally deciced I didn't want to spend the $15 a month (I had almost run out of 30day free time) and quit.
    Well most MMOs can hold me for at least more then 2 months or so, but LotRO has to be the shortest run I've ever had. Was there anything I could have done better to maximize my fun?
    It's been about the same here. I've played alot of MMORPGs up to today and i'm still pretty much into it...so by the tons of positive reviews once the NDA was lifted, i thought that Lotro would be just the right game for me.

So I run like crazy to get the preorder because i was really burning on getting the lifetime sub. Started with a few friends who preordered as well, founded a small guild..and after the 30 free days i was so bored that i just completely dropped the game and never looked back since then.

Every now and then, i pick up some news about another book getting released and the game seem to have improved alot. But i still think Turbine missed the complete picture of what the books were all about and rather made a WoW-lite in benefit of commercial success.

A game based on this IP should have been SO much more, but Turbine made middle earth a safe place without danger, without challenge, so small that travelling has no meaning etc....and by that they ignored just anything what Lotro was about.

As i wrote in an earlier post: Lord of the rings online belongs into a sandbox game, every other attempt is just bound to fail. And by looking at how small the game's niche is compared to this MASSIVE IP, the game has failed.

• DragonOakDragonOak Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by Volgore

As i wrote in an earlier post: Lord of the rings online belongs into a sandbox game, every other attempt is just bound to fail. And by looking at how small the game's niche is compared to this MASSIVE IP, the game has failed.

LOL, oh boy here we go again.......I don't think people read much.

• IllyrianIllyrian Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by DragonOak

LOL, oh boy here we go again.......I don't think people read much.

No kidding.

I cannot really imagine worse background for a sandboxgame then Tolkien's LOTR. Quite simply the story is set in stone and no, you will not have a fortress in the middle of nowhere where Tolkien stated there is nothing of sorts. Now, Turbine can tweak it a bit with small villages, camps etc but nothing more then that. Yes, yes, I know - Turbine suxxxorz cuz they did not use the licence in a different way. Well, they could and then it would be a fantasy world that sort of looks like LOTR and not Tolkien's Middle Earth.

And the comes the usual drivel of "LOTRO failed because it did not became ZOMG success that killed WoW". The proof, of course, is universal blockbuster IP. The problem is LOTRO is based on books and not them ovies and those that loved the books are most likely not intersted in LOTR MMO. The movie going bunch is usually frustrated that LOTRO is following books and not movies and event then they might not be interested in LOTR MMO at all for various reasons.

In short IP is good but it is not as appealing as LOTRO detractors would like it to be.

Blah - blah, let us beat the dead horse one more time. I hoope resident trolls pay us a visit in this thread, it has been quiet lately.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

So I run like crazy to get the preorder because i was really burning on getting the lifetime sub. Started with a few friends who preordered as well, founded a small guild..and after the 30 free days i was so bored that i just completely dropped the game and never looked back since then.

Not unique to you, not unique to this game, and not unique to games overall. I've been excited as hell to buy a new CD from a band I've traditionally liked only to listen to it once and never picked it up again.

LoTRO just wasn't for you.

But i still think Turbine missed the complete picture of what the books were all about and rather made a WoW-lite in benefit of commercial success.

The whole mantra of "LoTRO is a WoW clone" and other such cliche's are losing ground rapidly - at the rate of more and more former and even some current WoW players picking it up acknowledging themselves that the game is quite different. The only people arguing it with any fervor anymore are those who are just looking to bash it and use that as a convenient thing to attack it on.

A game based on this IP should have been SO much more, but Turbine made middle earth a safe place without danger, without challenge, so small that travelling has no meaning etc....and by that they ignored just anything what Lotro was about.

Oh good grief. Another poster who knows better than Turbine *and* Tolkien Enterprises what LoTRO "should have been". Amazing how many arm-chair game design and lore experts there are out there. First... that's all your *opinion*. Second, considering Tolkien Enterprises has extended Turbine's license for LoTRO to 2017 is indication enough that they don't share your point of view;  being so closely related to the author... I *think* they have a better and more intimate knowledge of it than you do.

Have I said good grief already? Let me say it again... Good grief. 

Let's see just how badly LoTRO has failed:

- License extended to 2017 by Turbine Ent - because it's doing *well*.

- Wide-spread industry accolades and praise since its launch.

- Growing player-base (at least I'm seeing it on Firefoot).

- Expanding into new markets.

- Aggressive content updates as promised

- First expansion announced within the first year of its launch.

Yeah... those are all indications of a "failure" alright.

The idea that "oh because of how popular the IP is, LoTRO should be doing so much better" is speculation at best... There's no data to directly correlate how many people "should be playing" LoTRO.  Unless such a relevant and credible survey has been done... in which case, please point me to it because I've yet to see one.

People who enjoy Tolkien aren't all gamers. Those who are gamers aren't necessarily into MMOs. Those who are into MMOs, believe it or not, aren't necessarily interested in a LoTR MMO and/or are already quite happy in another one.

Star Wars is a hugely popular IP (moreso for the first 3 movies than the newer prequels) that was translated into a MMO. You'd think with the massive world-wide popularity of Star Wars, that game's population would have been off the charts - even pre NGE/CU. It wasn't. *And* it was originally a sand-box game which you seem to feel strongly about.

Just because an IP *seems* like it should be more popular does not automatically mean it will be.
    One does not automatically indicate the other.

Look... I realize not everyone's going to like LoTRO. I *expect* not everyone's going to like LoTRO. Nothing can please everyone and many times things simply don't meet our personal expectations... and that's exactly what's happening here. LoTRO simply does not meet some people's personal expectations. Unfortunate, but expected.

Could we please leave it at that? Just stick with the fundamental truths of the matter and simply say "I just didn't enjoy it personally". Give your reasons; "not enough PvP", "felt too linear", "was hoping it would be a sandbox game", "too easy", "not enough raid content"... All those and more are valid personal reasons to not like the game - but that's it. Do not assume that if only it had "X element" that it would have been much better. It would have been better for *you* perhaps, but not necessarily for everyone else. 

Also, would people please stop with all the Monday morning quarterbacking. It's ridiculous. We respect that some don't like it. But when you start trying to support it with wild baseless theories of what it could/would/should have been... or go as far as implying it's a "failure" or "bound to fail" because it wasn't what you wanted it to be, it becomes absurd.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

To Volgore:

If you look at the financial success of games out there and cross-compare them with popular non-game related IPs, you realise that a strong non-game IP does not equal financial success. Such IPs offer both pros and cons, pros being the free advertisement that comes with the widespread knowledge of the IP. Cons due to restrictions related to said IP.

Given the above, a strong IP will only influence the initial sales, if that. From that point on, the game must live or die on it's own merits. So far LOTRO seems to be going strong, with no direct contenders to it's core gameplay in the foreseeable future.

One last thing. There was another company that felt their game wasn't as successful as they thought their IP should have made it. So they restructured it completely. Guess what happened.

• WrymstrumWrymstrum Member Posts: 196

Yea, the quests and stories are a big draw of LOTRO, so if you're the type that ignores this stuff and clicks on quests without reading them, then you might not enjoy it that much.  Sure, there are a lot of quests that are simple kill quests and whatnot.  With as many quests as there are in LOTRO, it's inevitable that all of them won't be gems.  But a significant portion are very well written and interesting (especially the epic book quests).   And sometimes what may start out as a simple kill x of y quest will lead into a very cool experience.  

Anyway, there's a lot of good things in lotro.  Raids, pvmp, quests, 6 man instances, quests, music, crafting, etc etc.  It's best if you do a little of everything, but the questing is a pretty essential element.

p.s.

lol@ the idea that lotro is a good ip for a sandbox game.  The best sandbox games are original IP's where nothing is set in stone.  LOTRO is the opposite of that.

~~~ Currently Playing ~~~
    LOTRO- Guardian Wrymstrum & Lore-master Stabler on Nimrodel.

Conan- Zoltar <Angels of Death> Guardian on Stormrage.

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265

I just got an email from turbine today:

"Return to Middle-earth! Former Beta Player Special Offers‏"

I never made it out of beta last year, just didnt find the game appealing.  That just means its not my cup of tea of course, not a "bad" game.  It just seemed too redundant for me, having just come off playing a couple of other fantasy mmorpgs back then (EQ2 and WoW namely, neither of which I have played since then either) 

But I am glad fans of Tolkiens books are enjoying the game from what I have seen and there is a lot of good lore in game.  I just never could get into it.

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by Mortemia

Originally posted by Grindalyx

Oh ok let me try to explain how I feel game can be threatening or dangerous. Yes it is a game, we all know that and it can't be dangerous in a way it affects your real life.

But in a game, where you feel you are in danger, you can't leave your character standing AFK for 10 minutes on a field and make it out unharmed. Yes, I know there might spawn something over you in LOTRO but that's not enough. We all know how spawns work and it's own dumbness if you die on those.

And obviously LOTRO wasn't a game for me, just because "safe" mood on it. And I'm all right with it. Other than that, I liked the game, the graphics and classes were very nice to play. It just got boring way too quick.

Okay let's look at your example. You say that in LOTRO you can basically leave your character anywere in the game you want and not have to worry about beint attacked or killed. With the exception of a rare spawn on your idle character. You just described every MMO out there. In the lower lvl areas of LOTRO this maybe true the mobs are pretty much stationary. But in the higher lvl areas, angmar, Misty mountains, Forchel the mobs roam around alot more.

I can understand that in a PvP based game you can't leave your character afk for any length of time without worrying about some person coming along and engageing you in PvP.  Your right this game isn't for you and i applaud you for admitting that and moving on. Your a much bigger person than alot of the bashers and haters out there that seem to feel it is there job to make everyone hate this game.

What you are talking about here or at least what i think your talking about is you don't want to feel that you can leave your character in a mob infested area and it not be killed. To me that is not danger or how i percieve danger but that is me. I understand were your coming from and i respect that and i thank you for explaining what you were talking about.

Have a good day and i hope you find that game your looking for.

imageimage