Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leave MMOs behind?

Ive been thinking latly...and I may be leaving the world of MMORPGs behind. Im doing this because im only 14, and my family members enjoy getting on the PC to, and Im on lt a lot due to MMOs. Another reason is, with only being 14, I cant get a job. I do perform weekly chors to get cash, but I really would like to spend that money on Wii stuff. So I dont really have much money to spend on MMOs. Last thing is basically my Internet Connection makes most games laggy. Im currently plaing WoW, and theirs not a lot of lag, but the ladency goes red for periods of time sometimes. If I told my parents I was going to quit MMOs, that would probably make their day lol. Quitting MMOs is kinda money, but mostly because I want my parents and I to be better off, I get kinda addicted to these games for periods and play A LOT. I love console games, but never get addicted. I would get along a lot better with my parents if I quit them too. So should I quit them?

Comments

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Only you can answer that,I know if I had a kid of 14 I wouldnt let them get addicted to a MMo,I am 35 and I have alot going on in my life but I know how time consumming a MMo can be and what effect's it can have on "normal life"

I would think you have a mature attitude about this even to post to ask shows some,My advice would be if it is effecting your family life and you cant control yourself to maybe an hour or 2 a night then yes quit them,trust me when you are 21 and have maybe more time on your hands MMo's will still be here.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

It sounds like you're over-saturated MMO wise hehe.

MMO's are not bad! But they are addictive.

You're 14 years old ye say?  Nothing says you can't play sometimes, but make it a lower priority than say, dating girls, hanging out with friends, doing good in school, reading and getting some exercise (no specific order here, though girls are WAY up on top LOL).  You'll find yourself actually happier, healthier and believe it or not, you'll want to play more.  Not only that, but you'll find that if anyone has been giving you grief about playing, it should cease as you are now finding a balance in life.

I'm married, with a child and a job and working really hard to stay in shape.  On top of all this I make time for friends and I still manage an hour or two a night, 5 to 7 nights a week.

Just remember, all in moderation hehe.  Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing, but there's nothing saying you have to give up what you enjoy.  Just develop the self discipline to do what you know needs to be done, and that nagging feeling you're feeling will disappear. ;)

• melmoth1melmoth1 Member Posts: 762

Yar, it's difficult for kids in compulsory education to get the appropriate mmo/life balance. I would recommend you go with consoles until you are in non-complulsory education or work.

I am a HS teacher btw and hardcore mmo playa. However, if I don't perform well at my job then I would get fired, lose my teaching license and lose my salary. Those are pretty tough incentives to ensure that my work commitments ALWAYS override my mmo commitments. For working adults the benefits of getting a correct mmo/life balance are immediate: we get paid every month, have bills to pay every month, we have homes and families to keep...erm, and no pay equals no MMO lol.

The problem with kids in compulsory education is that all the serious monetary benefits and commitments are deferred until they are older, it is not no so immediate as it is with adults. For these reasons I think mmo addicition is particularly dangerous for teenagers in compulsory education because they face less of the restraints that adults do.

When I was HS we didn't play mmo's, we played dice and paper based D&D. We were only able to play once or twice a week because it was difficult to get everyone together at someone's house and because it takes time for the GM to prepare the game etc. There are no such physical/logistical problems with MMOs, which is why I would be concerned with my own (future) child playing mmo's too much.

Lots of ace games on the consoles; play them and come back to mmo's when you at university or when you are an adult working.

Oh, and by the way, you sound like a cool and responsible kid. Good Luck.

Regards

Melmoth