Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Am My Own Boss !!!

upallnightupallnight Member Posts: 1,154

My idea to take care of myself is working.  I have made more in the last year than I could have dreamed of making at my old job, and I don't work for anyone.

The reason I'm writing this is to motivate anyone else that might have a dream to do something on their own.  You don't always have to go work for someone else.  It's scary at times, but I feel so good now.

I did some figuring, and in the last year I've made just over $140,000!!!  I just took what I love to do and turned it around to make money.  I restore old trucks and they sell like mad. I also get old truck parts (doors, fenders, etc) and redo them to sell back out.  

I drove down to Dallas this last weekend to a swap meet there and made $40,000 in two days.  And I've got a truck I've been working on for about 1.5 months now that I'm getting ready to sell in full.  That will bring in another $20-25,000 for me.  And I got to have my own shop built, so now I get to do all the work in comfort

(no more banging my cold hands in the winter time, lol).

Just in case any of you guys think you want to try something, then I say go for it.  Take that chance.  The worse that can happen is you might have to go try something new. 

--------------------------------------
image image

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by upallnight

My idea to take care of myself is working.  I have made more in the last year than I could have dreamed of making at my old job, and I don't work for anyone.
    The reason I'm writing this is to motivate anyone else that might have a dream to do something on their own.  You don't always have to go work for someone else.  It's scary at times, but I feel so good now.
    I did some figuring, and in the last year I've made just over $140,000!!!  I just took what I love to do and turned it around to make money.  I restore old trucks and they sell like mad. I also get old truck parts (doors, fenders, etc) and redo them to sell back out.  
    I drove down to Dallas this last weekend to a swap meet there and made $40,000 in two days.  And I've got a truck I've been working on for about 1.5 months now that I'm getting ready to sell in full.  That will bring in another $20-25,000 for me.  And I got to have my own shop built, so now I get to do all the work in comfort

Just in case any of you guys think you want to try something, then I say go for it.  Take that chance.  The worse that can happen is you might have to go try something new. 

Working for yourself is the best way to go. That's why I do it. And congratulations, bro. Good to see everything working out.

• EcranomicalEcranomical Member Posts: 326

Congratz. Its great to see that you're happy with your current situation. I've got some more schooling left, and then hopefully onto what I want to do.

Hope things continue to work out for you, and everyone else.

• unconformedunconformed Member Posts: 700

indeed. congrats

scary stuff that ive been contemplating. I might puss out and go the franchise route for starters... we shall see in a year or two.

good luck in the future.

side note, i remember my uncle when i was younger restored old corvettes on the side of his upholstery business. still does from last I heard.

chips, dips chains & whips.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Awesome!  Good to hear you're living your dream.

• upallnightupallnight Member Posts: 1,154

Originally posted by Ecranomical

Congratz. Its great to see that you're happy with your current situation. I've got some more schooling left, and then hopefully onto what I want to do.

Hope things continue to work out for you, and everyone else.
    Good luck with school.  I've always had trouble with it.  I wish I didn't though.  Education is awesome.

I have a learning disability (dyslexia).  It's actually pretty severe compared to other dyslexics.  I'm not good with books at all.  I can learn things, but I've got to mostly use my hands to make the connections.  Like with the rebuilding trucks, I taught myself nearly everything I know about them from just digging in.

So if I dyslexic tinkerer Okie can make it, then I'm sure anyone can.  

image image

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

nice read, gratz to you

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • unconformedunconformed Member Posts: 700

aixelsyd taht htiw kcul doog ro doog kcul htiw taht aixelsyd ?

chips, dips chains & whips.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

That's great man. I'm climbing up your tree, yet it might not be as profitable as your job.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Gratz dude. 

I currently earn $180,000 per annum and would trade a nice chuck of that to do what i was passionate about when i want like yourself.  Nothing beats working for yourself if you can make a decent go of it.  Far more rewarding overall.

Keep up the good work.

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

right im 19 and pull 45k a year.

i realize how lucrative self employment can be.

But i would much rather personally have a 100% secure government pension(more secure then any other pension)

That being said law enforcement cops even at a non federal level with overtime can push 80 90 grand a year with overtime, get 70% of their highest 5 paid years for a pension after 20 years.

Then get another job as long as they are not drawing from the same pension fund(ex not working for the same city you worked as a cop) then work another 20 years earn another pension and retire at well over 80grand a year in income.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• PrecitaPrecita Member Posts: 1

what a great man you are.  there are not so many people who dare to do so without any anxiety.  please go ahead!

• LuckyCurseLuckyCurse Member Posts: 394

At first I thought the OP was pushing some late night get-rich-quick scheme on us.  I mean, really, it had that feel to it: "And you can make 100, 200, or even 500 thousand a year! From your own home! Doing nothing but breathing air! All day long!" 

Instead, it was an inspirational tale that I think we can all appreciate.  Good job on the hard work and the payoff.  We need to hear more good news now and then.  There's just so many depressing things in this world.  Not to mention that many of us, myself included, went into your post thinking it was a scam.  How sad for us, how jaded.  Dang.

- LC

• Par-SalianPar-Salian Member Posts: 284

I can wholeheartedly agree with the OP.  After college, I got into the collections business.  I was making decent money but my bosses were getting the lion's share of the profits.  I took a huge risk and started my own agency (and it ran it MY way).  Now I'm doing great and, in fact, I've just opened our second location.

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

Originally posted by Par-Salian

I can wholeheartedly agree with the OP.  After college, I got into the collections business.  I was making decent money but my bosses were getting the lion's share of the profits.  I took a huge risk and started my own agency (and it ran it MY way).  Now I'm doing great and, in fact, I've just opened our second location.
    Collections?  As in the people that call you at 9am on Sunday bugging you about some credit bill, that's not even yours, over 10 years old?  So you purchase old debts from the financial institutions at a low cost, in hopes that if you do enough threatening and harrassment that the client will finally pay you a settlement that's more than you paid? 

If that's what you're talking about, then I hope your business collapses soon.   You people make me sick.  Get some freaking morals.  Life isn't about just making money.  You also have to consider your fellow man. 

However, if that's not what you're into, then forget all the above.

Originally posted by Vhayne

Originally posted by Par-Salian

Collections?  As in the people that call you at 9am on Sunday bugging you about some credit bill, that's not even yours, over 10 years old?  So you purchase old debts from the financial institutions at a low cost, in hopes that if you do enough threatening and harrassment that the client will finally pay you a settlement that's more than you paid? 

If that's what you're talking about, then I hope your business collapses soon.   You people make me sick.  Get some freaking morals.  Life isn't about just making money.  You also have to consider your fellow man. 

However, if that's not what you're into, then forget all the above.

Yeah, it sucks when people want their money.  I mean, just because you borrowed it doesn't mean anything.  Screw'em... they can just wait.  After all, aren't all big corporations evil?

OR... the better way to consider your fellow man is to PAY YOUR DEBT.  That money you borrowed, and the interest, is how they pay their employees -- who, if I remember correctly, have children, bills to pay, etc etc. 

I imagine it is people like you who make people like Par-Salian necessary.  It sucks that the field of collections exists but it is necessary.

And, if life isn't just about making money, then why do these people borrow it? Get a life people, stop borrowing what you can't pay back! Get some morals and pay it back when you do borrow it! 

And what the heck is so special about Sunday? Just another day in the week.  Big deal.

Ugh... sick in the head freaks...

- LC

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

@LuckyCurse

You know as well as everyone that not every collector isn't always a very nice person. Theer's a lot of them who are downright assholish, while their job doesn't require them to be like that. On the other hand you have a minority who're just doing their job. And I bet those get a lot more slack...

Anyways.

For some reason you're quite the inspiration. I have a few ideas and you've motivated me to research them more.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Originally posted by MadAce

@LuckyCurse

You know as well as everyone that not every collector isn't always a very nice person. Theer's a lot of them who are downright assholish, while their job doesn't require them to be like that. On the other hand you have a minority who're just doing their job. And I bet those get a lot more slack...  

If by slack you mean hang the phone up on them before they even get to say a word, then yes

For some reason you're quite the inspiration. I have a few ideas and you've motivated me to research them more.

Great!  That's what I was hoping to do.

I like to make people happy and inspired.   I hope whatever you come up with is as rewarding as my risk. 

image image

Originally posted by LuckyCurse

At first I thought the OP was pushing some late night get-rich-quick scheme on us.  I mean, really, it had that feel to it: "And you can make 100, 200, or even 500 thousand a year! From your own home! Doing nothing but breathing air! All day long!" 
    Instead, it was an inspirational tale that I think we can all appreciate.  Good job on the hard work and the payoff.  We need to hear more good news now and then.  There's just so many depressing things in this world.  Not to mention that many of us, myself included, went into your post thinking it was a scam.  How sad for us, how jaded.  Dang.
    - LC

I completely understand.  I feel like there are some sad things going on in the world right now.  I try my hardest to be a positive and helpful influence in peoples lives around me.  I have this notion that if I keep it up it might spread around someday. 

image image

@LuckyCurse

Anyways.
    True, but we created that.  We hang up.  We ignore.  We dodge our responsibilities instead of facing them head on.  The market wouldn't support collection agencies if they weren't necessary evils that we brought on ourselves.  If we took responsibility for our debt it would be the lender asking nicely and the customer honoring the contract that they entered into -- in an ideal world.  

I would be interested to hear what the actual collector has to say about all of this, so, I hope he can come back and respond. 

So, yes, I agree.  They tend to not be very nice.  But neither are the people who borrowed in the first place.  Kinda a vicious cycle, eh?

- LC

• bojinxbojinx Member Posts: 172

I always wanted to start my own business but I guess I am more or less nervous/worried about it.  Also, even though I could list all of my interests, I just can't seem to find a way to convert it into a profit.   I wanted to thank you for your post and hopefully this will inspire me to become more motivated  to break away from the corporate ball and chain.

• VidoriaVidoria Member Posts: 1

-0-  so high...i don't dare to do so as you have done although you have got the great success..congratulations!  you could go farther for yourself or someone..good luck!

• bamboob3bamboob3 Member Posts: 33

Oh!!! U r a man. I respect U

One day, I'm gonna start my own too. Bored with the bosses who always take advantages from minorities, suck!!!