Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take-Two get to laugh at EA now.

ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9930976-7.html

April 28, 2008 5:35 PM PDT

'Grand Theft' reviews give Take-Two a boost

Posted by Steven Musil |

Shares of game publisher Take-Two were up Monday on the heels of positive reviews of the forthcoming video game Grand Theft Auto IV, which is being released to the public at midnight Tuesday.

Grand Theft Auto IV

Take-Two plans to launch "Grand Theft Auto IV" on Tuesday.

(Credit: Rockstar Games)

Shares of the game publisher traded as high as $27.10, 3.4 percent higher than Friday's closing price. That trading price is also a good dollar a share above the offer made by Electronic Arts when it launched its hostile bid for Take-Two last month. Take-Two rejected that offer, calling it "inadequate." Take-Two owns GTA creator Rockstar.

The excitement surrounding the release has hit a fever pitch, fueled by the positive reviews. The New York Times called the game "violent, intelligent, profane, endearing, obnoxious, sly, richly textured, and thoroughly compelling work of cultural satire disguised as fun." My CNET colleague Dan Ackerman got his hands on the final shipping version and offered initial thoughts on the game's pluses and minuses in his blog.

Analysts are expecting the action-driving video game to sell more than 9 million copies and top last year's record $300 million first-week sales of Halo 3.

Comments

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Originally posted by Zorvan
     Analysts are expecting the action-driving video game to sell more than 9 million copies and top last year's record $300 million first-week sales of Halo 3.
    Wow...this game will actually be different from the others too, unlike Halo 3..

...that's some nice pocket-change too

• ViennanViennan Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Vendayn
    I'm waiting for the fun to begin...its only a matter time before one of these news channels does a story on it and says "OMG, I am a moron! I let my 9 year old johnny play! This game should be taken off the shelves to protect our children!"

That always makes me laugh. I actually saw something similar to that on my local news channel for one of the previous grand theft auto games.

Bound to happen. It's only a matter of time before Mr Thompson starts exaggerating the game's content - and gets away with it, because most people won't get the game just to see if he's lying or not.

Just look at what happened to Mass Effect. One 10 second sex scene and suddenly it's an irresponsible game that lets you fornicate with anyone and anything that moves.

I still fail to see how GTA trains players to kill people. No matter how much I try, mashing buttons on a keyboard hasn't made anyone IRL die.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Viennan

I'm waiting for the fun to begin...its only a matter time before one of these news channels does a story on it and says "OMG, I am a moron! I let my 9 year old johnny play! This game should be taken off the shelves to protect our children!"

That always makes me laugh. I actually saw something similar to that on my local news channel for one of the previous grand theft auto games.

Bound to happen. It's only a matter of time before Mr Thompson starts exaggerating the game's content - and gets away with it, because most people won't get the game just to see if he's lying or not.

Just look at what happened to Mass Effect. One 10 second sex scene and suddenly it's an irresponsible game that lets you fornicate with anyone and anything that moves.

I still fail to see how GTA trains players to kill people. No matter how much I try, mashing buttons on a keyboard hasn't made anyone IRL die.

Well, to be fair, I did once bean my brother upside the head with a PS2 controller.

Far as Thompson, people are starting to see him for the moron that he is ( except for Fox news, who I guess save money by having him on as an expert instead of paying for someone with real credentials ).

Did you see where Thompson wrote a letter to the GTA dev Zelnicks' mother, admonishing her for raising a bad child? Google it, it's hilarious.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by Viennan

Well, to be fair, I did once bean my brother upside the head with a PS2 controller.

Far as Thompson, people are starting to see him for the moron that he is ( except for Fox news, who I guess save money by having him on as an expert instead of paying for someone with real credentials ).

Did you see where Thompson wrote a letter to the GTA dev Zelnicks' mother, admonishing her for raising a bad child? Google it, it's hilarious.

Lol....

when all else fails, go for the mom.  Hopefully the mom will never get it, or Zelnick may be too scared to leave his house...I can picture it now

Zelnick walks outside... "ahh, what a beautiful day"

Then, coming from the 50 foot tree, out jumps his mother and gives him a spanking!

..it's bound to happen