Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's shameful

DowieDowie Member Posts: 280
It really is shameful how little publicity this game gets, it deserves so much more. This game is for me the only real mmorpg currently alive and ticking, this game got it all except a big playerbase and graphics. It sometimes makes me wonder how popular it would be if it where developed/bought by some big giant like NCsoft or EAmythic.

Good people of wurm hear my call and take any oppertunity to show this game for more people looking for a new mmorpg (there are alot of them). If this game just would develop a bigger playerbase, the big giant developers will see that there really are a big intress for sandbox mmorpgs out there!

Comments

• JammehJammeh Member Posts: 3

If Wurm was taken over by NCsoft or someone else i'd stop paying straight away. Wurm is unique, because the developpers are new. They _KNOW_ what Wurm should be, and they work towards that, it might take longer, but its much better that way.

If Sony or NCsoft took over Wurm, the next thing to come out would probably be change in the fighting system to make it the primary skill for everyone, sticking in a level system, adding quests, making many more monsters that just sit in the same place all day.

And that'd be horrible.

• HunterAPHunterAP Member Posts: 76

This most recent episode is why Wurm does not get more attention.  Mojang completely let down it's limited customer base.  We have yet to see what kind of reimbursement there will be for the loss of the last 10 months worth of work.  However, early comments suggest that the reimbursements will be minimal.

Until Mojang grows up and figures out how to properly run their creation, they are better off keeping a low profile.

• xPaladinxPaladin Member UncommonPosts: 741
    Runescape was always relatively low key, keep in mind. Wasn't until recent years that they came into their own.

-- xpaladin

[MMOz]
    AC1/2, AO, DAoC, EQ1/2, SoR, SWG, UO, WAR, WoW

• Shad0wN3xusShad0wN3xus Member Posts: 31

The only thing that I don't like about Wurm is that its almost too good.

The graphics are so good that I need to run it on Very Low settings for it to even be playable. (Laggs so much its unplayable on Normal settings)

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

this game deserves from a 1 to 6 i would say 10

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197

Not bashing at all, but what makes it so good?  The videos and such I've seen on youtube look awful, but everyone seems to think the graphics are so good.  Theres obviously something I'm not seeing.

The game does a good job of rendering 3D landscapes.  Beyond that, the players can actually manipulate those landscapes.  Also, one of the two original developers has been replaced with a team of developers.  This team has been doing work on the client, and they have made some decent progress.

Beyond the landscapes, this is not a graphically "beautiful" game.  It's pretty sub standard.  Still, it's a game that everyone should at least try out.  Not many games out there give you the freedom that Wurm gives you.

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

Wurm Online - Real Life Simulator set back in the age of Knights

Thats the best definition I can give Wurm.  It is to detailed in what you need to do, that it literally could consume your life to get anywhere really.  You have to gather for components for food.  You take those components and place them in a vessel to cook... but wait you need to find clay and water to make a vessel.  Okay vessel made, food found... okay combine and make food.  Ohh I forgot I need to cut down a tree to gather tinder to make a fire, and cut logs to feed to the fire.  Okay fire made, food cooking.  Tah-dah!  I have a putrid pile of crap..... and it doesn't fill you....  okay repeat over... and over until you get to understand how to cook and gather right components.....

Then you realize you have become to famished you can no longer swing an axe to make the fire anymore.  Thats where working with a community helps, and going solo can be quite rough especially after the "noob" experience is over.  I gave up because of the lack of time, but would have continued if I didn't have a job, wife, child, or school.

It does deserve more attention because its so unique, but I think it has a ways to go yet before a massive amount of people will find it enjoyable.

• WoWownsallWoWownsall Member Posts: 17

I honestly don't think it was an amazing game. It was a fun, good game until i realized that to do anything other than survive you needed to pay. I built a 1x2 shack, a cart, a forge, an oven, and a be in all of 5 days. Had a mine with iron nearby, fished and farmed. I couldn't go kill things, because you need weapons and armor. To get that, you need to buy them from another player (by buying the silver from mojang) or make it yourself (to get anything worth using yo needed to be premium) I don't see why people pay money to play a game still in developement. It is released in the term that you can pay to play, but they are still implementing many things and for every step forward they take 2 back because of bugs and glitches. My educated opinion after playing for 4 months.

• MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally posted by WoWownsall

I honestly don't think it was an amazing game. It was a fun, good game until i realized that to do anything other than survive you needed to pay. I built a 1x2 shack, a cart, a forge, an oven, and a be in all of 5 days. Had a mine with iron nearby, fished and farmed. I couldn't go kill things, because you need weapons and armor. To get that, you need to buy them from another player (by buying the silver from mojang) or make it yourself (to get anything worth using yo needed to be premium) I don't see why people pay money to play a game still in developement. It is released in the term that you can pay to play, but they are still implementing many things and for every step forward they take 2 back because of bugs and glitches. My educated opinion after playing for 4 months.
    Sorry but your post comes across to me as you are mad at something. But anyway you also have to realize that just like real life, a community is needed.

With that said, all that said above is for the most part true, and one thing i need to point out is, just about every MMO makes money from a subscripton, why wouldnt you expect to pay for a premium account in wurm? The basic account is not made so you can master all your skills and do everything a premium player can do, its made to be able to play the game and be caped after a certain point. Which i find perfectly acceptable considering many MMO;s cost 15$ a month which some of them have over 1 million subscribers. Sorry but for any MMO to survive they need to pull in revenue and 5 euro a month for premium account is not bad at all, along with that you have a better chance to make your own good QL items as well as sell them for currency you can use to buy other things.

But again, wurm is not ment for every solo person to beable to get anything and everything he/she wants, becuase then that would kill the point of the game, so its hard just like it would be irl. being a part of a community is what wurm is about.

• mahierl2005mahierl2005 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Graphics .. are ... horrible. Sorry, but in todays market if you want to make money or appeal to the masses, you at LEAST need the game to compete in the graphics and playability department. This game has neither. Nothing else to see here, move on.

• MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally posted by mahierl2005

Graphics .. are ... horrible. Sorry, but in todays market if you want to make money or appeal to the masses, you at LEAST need the game to compete in the graphics and playability department. This game has neither. Nothing else to see here, move on.

Then apperently you have lacked to see how well some of the worst graphic games have quite a few thousands of accounts basicly becuase the players like the game play...

Take UO for example, its got the oldest graphics pretty much and still has near 100k accounts?

Sorry, but graphics are not everything, it is to some but not to all, the MMO market is so big that no one company needs to worry about all aspects of making a game, they just need to focus on one aspect and they will generate revenue from that market. In wurm that market is Game play, although i would have to say the landscape graphics are better then most games ive played as well. Im not saying WoW and other big company games, but im talking about many games that are at least competitors in the market with crap graphics.

Again as i said in another thread, Game play is not something that can just be worked on as Graphics can be, so keep that in mind. Theres lots to see here, if you dont care to try it then please by all means, move on.

• MarleVVLLMarleVVLL Member UncommonPosts: 907

I don't think the graphics are terrible at all. Better than some, thats for sure.

Blessings,

MMO migrant.

• tanziatanzia Member Posts: 3

I've been playing and paying since November and I'm not sorry for it. What most fail to realize is this game is not created and ran by some large corperation. Infact the staff is under a dozen, including the creator, artists, programmers etc.

The graphics ARE impressive on high settings, infact most have to turn them down to run the game, keep in mine also when viewing this is a JAVA based game, there are REGULAR graphics improvements, once a month or better I'd say.

It's also a nice play to be and NOT be overran by 13 year olds, I'd say the majority of players are like myself, over 19. You CAN play free and the limitations are a lot less then most games. Most have map and item limitations, this simply has a skill cap as there Is NO overall level. And the skill cap allows you a great deal of freedom, with over 40 skills to achieve and try.

This is NOT your typical "kill the monster and level"  game. You can hunt but there is SO much more, I've tried over 40 online games and I've NEVER seen a game come close to the production system this has, and how many games let you terraform (you quite litterally have the ability to change the landscape by raising, lowering land, mining out tunnels, planting trees, cutting them down etc)

Wurm does have it's problems, there are bugs to be worked out  and there are what some would consider basic features missing. However the game is quite playable and issues DO get addressed, but it takes pateinces, it's a small staff and a small player base. Rolf (the owner' creator) plans to start advertising more aggressively by summer.

The bottom line: If you're not scared off by a beta feel and you're tired of "kill the monster for exp and the shiney drop" then you should be giving Wurm online a try.

P.s Additionally, I personally like the fact isn't not overrun with cheaters as well. And the game is well policed, the gm's and cm's are extremely active in the game and also still active as player's so they listen and really DO understand the player's needs.  You can also feel safe if you're looking for a game for your children, the chat's are well regulated.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Ok. So is a error to use Java to make a mmo. It may give you a intial "easy to program" feel, but will limit your power, as java is slow.

Anyway, as some other commented as say, this game as gazillion better graphics than Runescape (in all, but animations,etc..).

• fattynopantsfattynopants Member Posts: 15

Actually using Java can help the graphics in a way. SInce java is no easy and uses very little resources, they can make the distance veiwing extremely far without any lag. They can also make it all manipulative like they do. For me it's the animations....I don't know about now, but when I played it there were NO animations. The graphics are not great but not the worst. It was just the lack of any animations whatsoever that just really turned me away. Is there animatons now? If so I would definitly consider this game.

Originally posted by fattynopants

Actually using Java can help the graphics in a way. SInce java is no easy and uses very little resources, they can make the distance veiwing extremely far without any lag. They can also make it all manipulative like they do. For me it's the animations....I don't know about now, but when I played it there were NO animations. The graphics are not great but not the worst. It was just the lack of any animations whatsoever that just really turned me away. Is there animatons now? If so I would definitly consider this game.
    There are some basic animations now.  As for the Java thing...  If the game were written in C++ with OpenGL or D3D, it would run just as fast with the same features.  Java 3D doesn't do anything better than what you can do with C++ and OpenGL/D3D.  However, I seriously doubt Wurm will ever be converted to C++, so the point is moot.
  • GurubearGurubear Member Posts: 41

This is a game being developed by one great guy in Sweden and a little band of volunteers.

So, porting it to C++ or C# is highly unlikely at the moment as there are simply not the hours in the day!

But that is okay - I am having great fun with it as it is!

Sound and Music for anything