Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG to play for 5 days

InitialDOAInitialDOA Member Posts: 99

Any advice for a game I can thoroughly enjoy shy of a week and then put down?

I'd like to have

Free or free trial

Exploration

Low level gameplay (I dont care about grind if I dont have to level)

Social community

Downloadable client

Reasonable cost of living for a low level player

That's all I'd like to filter. Suggestions? I'm open to almost anything. I've played games from Age of Conan to Adventure Quest, so I'm not biased on a game's presentation. I'm well aware of the other things I can do for five days, but I've chose playing MMORPGs for a specific reason. Thank you

Comments

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

I'm not really sure what to suggest to you.  Granado Espada can be an interesting little diversion for a few days.  The whole multiple chars thing has a certain novelty to it.  It really has a unique feel to the gameplay, in my opinion.  At its heart, though, it's still a very Korean game, so that might put you off rather quickly.  Don't play the NA localization, Sword of the New World, though.  Just go with the Singapore version, link below.

As for worthwhile Western MMO's that are free or have a trial lasting 5 days, there are a few to look at.  Off the top of my head, the newer of the two EQ2 trials, Play the Fae.  EQ2 is probably one of the most polished MMO's out there, though I find a few things offputting about it, personally.  If you haven't tried it, it can be interesting.  As a note, you're only locked into the Fae race for the first char you make for the trial.  If you don't like them, just make that first char and go back and make another one of a different race afterwards.  LotRO and DDO are also both very polished.  LotRO if you like a very story-oriented and polished, if somewhat standard in gameplay ,MMO.  DDO is somewhere between an action adventure RPG and MMORPG, and that's probably a good thing if you like that mix.  Some don't, but after all the patches, their complaints now are more an issue of preference than quality.

LotRO probably has the best community of the lot, and you'd have the most opportunity to explore.  If you had to try one, I'd try that.  EQ2's world is pretty big, but I think the trial effectively locks you into exploring certain places by capping your level low.  Both are pretty friendly in the newbie stage, too.  GE and DDO are fun little diversions, but they don't meet a bunch of your conditions, so I'd only look at them as a last resort.

everquest2.station.sony.com/ja/promotions/playthefae/

EQ2 7 day trial

www.lotro.com/trial

LotRO 7 day trial

http://trial.ddo.com/

DDO 10 day trial

ge.iahgames.com/en/

Granado Espada

• InitialDOAInitialDOA Member Posts: 99

Thanks alot. Very helpful. I'll give DDO a try. I've tried Granado Espada and LoTRo during beta phases. I'd actually be willing to give the latter a try again if DDO doesnt work out. EQ2 I'd rather stay away from. Thanks again!

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

EQ2 not only caps your level low, it locks you in your starting zone, which for most races is newbie island.  A few races get Neriak, which is a real zone, but even then it only takes a few hours to reach the level cap.

City of Heroes has a two week trial with no limits

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• InitialDOAInitialDOA Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Nightbringe1

EQ2 not only caps your level low, it locks you in your starting zone, which for most races is newbie island.  A few races get Neriak, which is a real zone, but even then it only takes a few hours to reach the level cap.
    City of Heroes has a two week trial with no limits

I cant believe I got half way through the LOTRO download before realizing it wasnt DDO.

Well, if you take a look at it, its not THAT unbelievable, but still

I'm more interested in CoH now. Do I need a referal to get a free trial?

Edit: NCSoft account management is an absolute nightmare. I can't figure out how to download or play without a serial number.