Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

processors? what is the difference..

mitchtrevettmitchtrevett Member UncommonPosts: 2

same price..

what is the difference between these two?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6700 - Retail

• 64 bit Support: Yes
  • FSB: 1066MHz
  • L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB
  • L2 Cache: 2 x 4MB
  • Manufacturing Tech: 65 nm
  • Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3,SSSE3, EM64T
  • Processors Type: Desktop
  • Series: Core 2 Quad

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80580Q9300 - Retail

• 64 bit Support: Yes
  • FSB: 1333MHz
  • Hyper-Threading Support: No
  • L2 Cache: 6MB
  • Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm
  • Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4, EM64T
  • Processors Type: Desktop
  • Series: Core 2 Quad

what is the difference from 45nm and 65nm?

what is 1333MHz to 1066 MHz?

what the hell is a L1 and L2 cache, and why doesnt  the second one have a L1 cache

so confused, help me please lol

Comments

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by mitchtrevett
    same price..
    what is the difference between these two?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6700 - Retail [*]64 bit Support: Yes
    [*]FSB: 1066MHz
    [*]L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB
    [*]L2 Cache: 2 x 4MB
    [*]Manufacturing Tech: 65 nm
    [*]Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3,SSSE3, EM64T
    [*]Processors Type: Desktop
    [*]Series: Core 2 QuadIntel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80580Q9300 - Retail 64 bit Support: Yes FSB: 1333MHz Hyper-Threading Support: No L2 Cache: 6MB Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4, EM64T Processors Type: Desktop Series: Core 2 Quad

what is the difference from 45nm and 65nm?
    what is 1333MHz to 1066 MHz?
    what the hell is a L1 and L2 cache, and why doesnt  the second one have a L1 cache

so confused, help me please lol

The first is the older model, it's on a 65 nanometer die, with a lower Front side bus.

The second is the newer version, on a shrunk down die of 45 nanometers, and a higher front side bus.

What this means is the first processor runs hotter and is less energy efficient, and runs at a slower bus speed.

The second runs cooler, more efficient and a higher bus speed.

Think of the Front Side Bus (FSB) as a highway, the wider the highway(bigger the number) the more traffic gets through.

So, a highway with four lanes can only accomodate so many cars, no matter how fast the cars are, while an 8 lane highway can accomodate more.

Your frontside bus is used by processor, ram and video card, so keep that in mind.

Also with the lower nanometer processor and the higher frontside bus, you get more headroom to overclock. (the higher fsb allows more room to play, the lower core temp of the processor allows higher voltage to be cranked into it.)

That's a basic rundown, hope it helps.

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

if you're thinking about getting a 45nm processor check and make sure it will be compatable with your motherboard even tho they're both lga775 sockets. for instance i know that some.. maybe all 680i motherboards do not support the 45nm processors.

• mitchtrevettmitchtrevett Member UncommonPosts: 2

thanks alot for the replies, helps alot

as for the motherboard issue, i'm getting a 780si that "says" its compatable with 45nm

however almost everybody that has a 45nm with quad core has been having bios problems due to slow bios driver updates, they predict it will be running perfectly with new updates that should be here any day

i wont be using this rig for about a month anyway so i'm not too worried about the updates yet

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078
    Originally posted by mitchtrevett

thanks alot for the replies, helps alot

as for the motherboard issue, i'm getting a 780si that "says" its compatable with 45nm
    however almost everybody that has a 45nm with quad core has been having bios problems due to slow bios driver updates, they predict it will be running perfectly with new updates that should be here any day
    i wont be using this rig for about a month anyway so i'm not too worried about the updates yet

evga's 780i is rock solid with a [email protected] and corsair dominator ram. i just "downgraded" from a 790i board which i just for the life of me not get to run stable. the 780i board with the P04 bios, overclocked with a pair of gts (g92)s is landing me 20,183 in 3dmark06 not even pushing it. if you're interested in the specs pm me.