Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardware comparisons..Do I really need to spend more?

BlomiBlomi Member Posts: 200

I'm getting a new PC through Dell, mostly for gaming.  I'm not looking to spend a lot, but I don't want to save $100 if it would have really made a big difference.  Any opinions on these options?  Particularly the processors?

Processor options:

Intel® Core™2 E8200 (6MB,2.66GHz, 1333FSB)

Intel® Core™2 E8400 (6MB,3.0 GHz, 1333FSB) [add $50

Intel® Core™2 E8500 (6MB,3.16 GHz, 1333FSB) [add $150

Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6850 (8MB,3.0GHz, 1333FSB) [add $1,000

Hard Drive options:

320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

160GB - 10K RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache [add $150

RAM options:

4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs

4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz -4 DIMMs [add $290

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

I think its a good approach to think whats necessary when approaching a company like DELL.

Processors in todays games really don't matter too much.  A dual core 2.4 ghz processor will do you just fine for a while.  The QX6850 for an additional $1000 is a total rip off.  Same price as a QX9650 but with less pounce for the bite.  I think in a price for performance, the E8400 is the best buy.  However, the E8200 will be more then enough for years.  Its good to remember, the video card and memory are way more important then the processor for games now.

On the hard drive I would go with the 320 GB one.  $150 more for a negligible increase in performance isn't necessary, even for gaming.  If you have enough memory it really isn't necessary.  Also dual hard drive raid usually performs better then the 10kRPM drives.  If Hard Drives are every a system bottle-neck or you just want to offload data from them fast, then the best options are WD Veloci-Raptor Drives, Solid State Disk, SCSI drives, or a RAID Array.

On the Memory, Corsair really isn't the epitome of performance memory.  What you are really paying the extra $290 for is the heatshield.  If you aren't overclocking, performance memory isn't necessary.  If you are, then that memory still isn't the kind you want, and for $290 you can get 4GB in 4 dimms of the kind you do want.